advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

Then how come Dimitryz’s goes all the way in. Who in their right mind would make a power socket on anything where the plug doesn’t mate all the way into the plug, except in error ?

One of the ways this could be explained (I suppose), is if the circuit board is made with oversize bolting holes and is bolted really close to the back wall of the enclosure. One may want to open the case and examine if the board can be repositioned slightly for a better alignment of the input socket. The other explanation is either incorrectly manufactured USB socket or some solder overflow during the manufacturing process that blocked a bit of the socket...And maybe some foreign object in the USB socket preventing full engagement. I would put a strong light into the socket to make sure it is free from any degree.

Micro USB socket is notorious for being flimsy, wearing out and generally being crappy way to pass power. Standard coaxial jack (5.5/2.1) is also quite easy to damage or have loose contact with. It is unfortunate that they became de-factor standards for powering audio equipment. I purchased an inline micro USB tail with a small power button, so I can power this device down when not in use WITHOUT pulling the flimsy micro USB connector out. They make it for a small computer called Raspberry, or something like that.

One of the ways this could be explained (I suppose), is if the circuit board is made with oversize bolting holes and is bolted really close to the back wall of the enclosure. One may want to open the case and examine if the board can be repositioned slightly for a better alignment of the input socket. The other explanation is either incorrectly manufactured USB socket or some solder overflow during the manufacturing process that blocked a bit of the socket...And maybe some foreign object in the USB socket preventing full engagement. I would put a strong light into the socket to make sure it is free from any degree.

Micro USB socket is notorious for being flimsy, wearing out and generally being crappy way to pass power. Standard coaxial jack (5.5/2.1) is also quite easy to damage or have loose contact with. It is unfortunate that they became de-factor standards for powering audio equipment. I purchased an inline micro USB tail with a small power button, so I can power this device down when not in use WITHOUT pulling the flimsy micro USB connector out. They make it for a small computer called Raspberry, or something like that.

Indeed, all the more reason to make sure it mates with socket completely

Then how come Dimitryz’s goes all the way in. Who in their right mind would make a power socket on anything where the plug doesn’t mate all the way into the plug, except in error ?
Mine is like yours, i.e. micro USB plug only slots half-way in. It's never caused me any concern, 'cos I have often seen this on micro USB devices. In fact, when I buy micro USB leads I check for an extra-long plug like this, because I have two devices (a Wileyfox Swift smartphone and a bluetooth keyboard) where many normal-looking microUSB plugs are annoyingly too short.

I agree it's clumsy.

I think as Dimitry mentioned, he is using a 3rd party cable, which may have a Micro USB plug that is of a different spec ?

Dimitry - Does your original supplied PSU connector look any different to this ?

PREBOXSDIG_PLUG.JPG

There is no shuffle room on the PCB for relocating the socket without a redesign of the PCB layout, so that's not going to happen.

PREBOXSDIG_SOCKET.JPG

It's built to the USB spec to allow compatibility. I think there would be more complaints if it was designed to fit only one bespoke Micro USB PSU from one particular manufacturer.

Cheerz - Brownz.

I think as Dimitry mentioned, he is using a 3rd party cable, which may have a Micro USB plug that is of a different spec ?

Dimitry - Does your original supplied PSU connector look any different to this ?

PREBOXSDIG_PLUG.JPG

There is no shuffle room on the PCB for relocating the socket without a redesign of the PCB layout, so that's not going to happen.

PREBOXSDIG_SOCKET.JPG

It's built to the USB spec to allow compatibility. I think there would be more complaints if it was designed to fit only one bespoke Micro USB PSU from one particular manufacturer.

Cheerz - Brownz.
I examined my plug closer. While it is a little more in that your photo, it still proud of the back wall by a couple of milimeters.

I would be more concerned about the Toslink connection being unstable.

Guys,
can some of you give the other gear it's plugged into? I wonder about the "level" of that DAC and the balance with other equipment in a system, I've seen an avatar with what looks like an ATC, I think a far better DAC is used with these beauties, let me know.
Also, what is the final word on OEM's SMPS vs good real filtered low noise/ripple LPS?

Thanks!

Mine feeds the Aux input of a Fisher 500C valve amplifier no problem at all. It is fed by Sony CD player optical, PC audio out Optical, Squeezebox touch optical. I switch between these with a cheap manual optical switch off ebay. Coax feed from an Allo Digione HAT board on a Pi 3. USB feed from laptop gives problems with a conflict between the USB 5 v Rail and the Stabilised Linear power supply (built from a kit from China from ebay) This problem is reduced if the linear supply level is tweaked up slightly as the Project will flick between power supplies if the USB power rail is higher than the Linear supply. Best sound is with the Pi Digione combo using the linear power supply.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=121962363423
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=191908455555

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Guys,
can some of you give the other gear it's plugged into?

Win10 i7 → UpTone USB REGEN → Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital → 32 Ω headphones
or via RCA to → Schiit Loki Mini → Schiit Magni 2U → 250 Ω headphones or NuPrime STA-9 amp → speakers

(Lately I've been using my Schiit Modi 2U DAC instead of the Pre Box S2 Digital, but that's another conversation.)

Also, what is the final word on OEM's SMPS vs good real filtered low noise/ripple LPS?

I am powering the Pre Box S2 Digital with a cheap OEM linear wall-wart. I dug up this old post for more detail:

All here who have tested these things agree that using an external PSU provides a larger improvement than adding a USB accessory to clean up the power and/or signal. In my case I heard roughly 90% improvement from external PSUs, and 10% improvement from an anti-jitter accessory. I tried removing the external PSU and supplying clean external power through that anti-jitter accessory, but heard no improvement.

John has also recommended that we use only linear or battery PSUs. I hear no difference between the stock switching wall-wart, a cheap linear wall-wart, and a smartphone battery pack. I would hope I'd hear a difference if I tried it with a linear PSU the same price as the DAC, but I am not planning to do further testing. (I have an UltraCap LPS-1.2 on order, but that is for my ultraRendu.)

Thanks guys, already some points here. I was thinking about the quality of speakers, trying to find the point of diminishing return if buy a better DAC or to put in other words the corner when speakers are good enough to enjoy this DAC's sound but not better ones. I know I ask about subjective opinions, but that's how mmost of us chose here without shop to try IRL. And I know headphones user may hear more easily the differences, but I don't use my Grado that much...
As for LPS I'll share my findings, OEM SMPS vs homebrew low noise supply. I've seen a sub 10$ one in some links, it's linear but in the worst circuit possible, can't bring much good.

If that helps, Kef R700, Hypex UCD.

Thanks for bearing my twisted requests ;)

My first input to this forum. We all have to start somewhere!

I've been fascinated by the comments about the Pro-Ject S2 Digital, so much so that I've bought one.
On arrival, it had 2.10 firmware which I've updated to 2.12.
There have been comments about bugs and updates but I haven't found a change record of the bugs found and the firmware versions in which they have been cured.
Does such a thing exist?
Is 2.12 actually the latest firmware or is there more to come?

Thanks in anticipation.

@andykchapman 2.12 is the latest firmware on their website (scroll down here), but there is still at least one bug remaining: the MQA / Optimal Transient filter issue described above. They have not released any changelogs, and I have tried to explain to them that this is normal and expected.

We will release a bug fix update for ProJect, hopefully this will be the last official release, we will be no longer working with ProJect so this will be a "Clean up our room" before we turn the lights out type deal... ProJect has never offered to pay us for software updates so there is little incentive apart from good will on our part to resolve issues. I feel responsible for "Bugs" so do plan to fix them once time allows - Its not so simple with MQA certified units as we have to run past any updates via MQA for approval... this in its nature adds a layer of extra work that we just don't need...

Although I will no longer will work with ProJect, we have been working on the sidelines on a fairly advanced software release with extra features we have been wanting to add to the DAC, so once we have it ready (its still a lot of work and not a priority)- we will release as a unofficial update at a small nominal cost to help cover our development man hours and pay for the Pizza's :)... much depends on the level of sound quality upgrade it brings....

We will release a bug fix update for ProJect, hopefully this will be the last official release, we will be no longer working with ProJect so this will be a "Clean up our room" before we turn the lights out type deal... ProJect has never offered to pay us for software updates so there is little incentive apart from good will on our part to resolve issues. I feel responsible for "Bugs" so do plan to fix them once time allows - Its not so simple with MQA certified units as we have to run past any updates via MQA for approval... this in its nature adds a layer of extra work that we just don't need...

Although I will no longer will work with ProJect, we have been working on the sidelines on a fairly advanced software release with extra features we have been wanting to add to the DAC, so once we have it ready (its still a lot of work and not a priority)- we will release as a unofficial update at a small nominal cost to help cover our development man hours and pay for the Pizza's :)... much depends on the level of sound quality upgrade it brings....

What a blown opportunity for Pro-Ject.

To think where an S3 DAC and maybe even something in a higher budget, could have gone, with this collaboration.

Sorry to read this but thanks for the good will and above all, thanks for a great DAC at incredible value!

@JohnW thank you for all you've done on this project. Looking forward to the bug fix and the unofficial update/upgrade. I am planning to purchase the upgrade.

advertisement

Back