advertisement

Pro Audio

andyoz

pfm Member
Lads, just gone some of these thru work and Jesus the pro gear if getting some near hifi qualities.

http://www.rcf.it/products/touring-and-theatre/tt25-a-ii

4" compression driver crossing over at a lowish 750Hz.
Really good quality Class D amps.
Convection cooled.
Essentially a classic 2-way 15" monitor format with all the latest tech thrown at is so it can play low and sweet and then growl like nothing else when required.

Absurd value for money.

Ugly but they reside in the guitar/music room between outings and I'd happily listen to my rock stuff on them domestically. Van Halen - made for these as drums and guitar actually have that real life edge through these will no fatigue (zero).

MC41NzU2NzkwMCAxNDQ0MjE5NjUz.jpg

RCF do some good stuff. They look like proper speakers. There's plenty of good kit both sides of the divide. Also there's a reasonable amount of stereotyping both sides. It's always good to hear about finds from wherever they come from.

I broke my Chris Griffin-esque "Whaaaaaaaatt??..." reaction to have a quick peep at the spec and it is a 1.5" compression driver with a big magnet! How many fine Brexit pounds are they?

Well you do get 4 amps, DSP and cutting edge drivers.
1.5" refers to the horn throat diameter, the dias are 4" Ti.

Just think, they were £800 cheaper before the pound tanked.

They are basically a poor mans Meyer UPQ1.
RCF have really chased that market.

I normally hate 15" two way active PA speakers as they generally use a 2" compression driver and crossover at around 1.5kHz. The trick with these is the 4" compression driver allows a 750Hz crossover point - the 15" woofer is still in it's comfort zone up there.

Also note that the amp ratings are RMS and if you see the insides of the modules they are well engineered.

The clarity is amazing so this gear really is coming of age.

I have a pair of the TT 22-a along with the sub 8004-as, really incredible gear... Fairly pricey but you really get what you pay for. I have some Art 722-As and an Allen & Heath QU 32 desk too.... I'd have needed a very large van/small truck a few years back to carry a PA that can do what this does.

I saw those new Nexo cabs at the NEC BPM show, sadly they weren't on demo. I had a Nexo PS system (ps 10/LS600/NX amp) for several years and loved it... It has been surpassed by the RCF kit which is more scalable , for small events I can use the RCF TT 22-As cabs alone, no sub or external amplification required, the kind of events I'd have previously used the Nexo setup for... But with the 8004 bins, it'll cover significantly larger events. I'll always have a fondness for the Nexo system though... now doing service with a lady friend of mine, amazing singer/musician. Nexo kit sounds great but in this day and age, they really need to be making some high performance active cabs. There is the Yamaha DSR kit (Nexo is owned by Yamaha) but that's much lower in the market than RCF's TT line.

Nexo's product line is a bit all over the place. If they did a 12" set of active two ways I would have been interested.

Looks like Meyer are finally adopting the Ligher weight Class D and Neo magnet model with their Leopard Range and new stage monitors. I hope they release a good 12" active box under 30kg as the days of people shifting 40-50kg two way active boxes around are fading fast. The likes of RCF are chipping away at their traditional market (Meyer will never go away as they are just TOO good). I still remember hearing my first Meyer active box in the late 90's and had to readjust my PA compass.

My TT25a mk2 are 29kg. The equivalent Meyer is 49kg and 2 to 3 times as much. Love a bit of Meyer but can't lift them solo.

There is the Yamaha DSR kit (Nexo is owned by Yamaha) but that's much lower in the market than RCF's TT line.

I own a pair of DSR112s matched with DSR118W subs and it sounds stunning. Have owned plenty of passive systems and racks of amps in the past, my first pair of active caps was a pair of Yamaha DBR12s bought on the way to a small gig and was extremely unimpressed. Limited volume, shrill top end, and both fans stopped working during the gig though to their credit the speakers carried on regardless and Yamaha did fix them both. I chose the DSRs over the comparable RCA line because the output SPL is slightly higher and I know many prefer the looks of the DSRs. I use RCF monitors for recording and can't fault their quality however, one recently had a bit of a run in with gravity but despite falling a good 1.5 metres onto a solid floor it survived with nothing more than a small scratch (which polished right out) and a couple of dislodged cables inside.

The DSR112s have a lovely smooth top end and a surprising amount of bass when required. I chose the 12s over the 15s because I felt the 15s sounded more muddy when paired with the subs which was OK for that 70s guitar sound but not for vocal reproduction, plus the 15s are pretty large when mounted on the top of the 118Ws. The 118Ws are probably one of the smallest and lightest 18" subs around at the moment but they pack a punch. I've heard reports about them being unable to keep up with the tops but I've never noticed and deficiencies in their performance, and when properly setup the system sounds extremely cohesive and natural with minimal EQ.

Not to mention it goes extraordinarily loud despite drawing only 100W from the wall. It's great not needing to carry power distribution units around, nor find the outlets to run them. My entire system, mixer (MGP24) and rack gear included, consumes just under 600W which is outstanding for the amount of power it can provide.

Yeah, the whole Yamaha active range is the best at that price point IMO and they have awesome backup.

A mate came round yesterday to demo a Monacor dsp-26, he was banging on about how good it sounded-its 2 in 6 out and only £250 so I was skeptical, it's up against my XTA 224.
Software runs on a mac which was handy, we dialed in and loaded up the JBL's xover/eq via usb in 5 mins flat.

Verdict, it sounded so good, clear uncoloured, nice top end.A little more digging and turns out it's an entry level OEM unit made by German company AllDSP. https://www.alldsp.com/products-cp-series.html

I've opted for this one; https://www.alldsp.com/product-plp-226-oem.html
Greg Timbers, JBL's legendary systems and crossover networks designer uses the 'Signature' version of the above featuring audiophile grade components......

Yeah, the whole Yamaha active range is the best at that price point IMO and they have awesome backup.
I think the DSRs carry a 7 year warranty, not that I see myself having to use it. The electronics inside are all high quality name brand components and the drivers are extremely well constructed. The turn around time when the DBR12s when in for their warranty repair was less than 2 weeks.

I own a pair of DSR112s matched with DSR118W subs and it sounds stunning. Have owned plenty of passive systems and racks of amps in the past, my first pair of active caps was a pair of Yamaha DBR12s bought on the way to a small gig and was extremely unimpressed. Limited volume, shrill top end, and both fans stopped working during the gig though to their credit the speakers carried on regardless and Yamaha did fix them both. I chose the DSRs over the comparable RCA line because the output SPL is slightly higher and I know many prefer the looks of the DSRs. I use RCF monitors for recording and can't fault their quality however, one recently had a bit of a run in with gravity but despite falling a good 1.5 metres onto a solid floor it survived with nothing more than a small scratch (which polished right out) and a couple of dislodged cables inside.

The DSR112s have a lovely smooth top end and a surprising amount of bass when required. I chose the 12s over the 15s because I felt the 15s sounded more muddy when paired with the subs which was OK for that 70s guitar sound but not for vocal reproduction, plus the 15s are pretty large when mounted on the top of the 118Ws. The 118Ws are probably one of the smallest and lightest 18" subs around at the moment but they pack a punch. I've heard reports about them being unable to keep up with the tops but I've never noticed and deficiencies in their performance, and when properly setup the system sounds extremely cohesive and natural with minimal EQ.

Not to mention it goes extraordinarily loud despite drawing only 100W from the wall. It's great not needing to carry power distribution units around, nor find the outlets to run them. My entire system, mixer (MGP24) and rack gear included, consumes just under 600W which is outstanding for the amount of power it can provide.

Yep, the DSRs are great, way better than the DBR or DXR range... The Girl that has brought my Nexo PS system used a pair of DSR 112s (and still does where space is limited). I do think Nexo should move with the times, I'd like to se PS level kit with built in amplification... But I also love RCF kit and the TT system just sounds stunning.

I think the DSRs carry a 7 year warranty, not that I see myself having to use it. The electronics inside are all high quality name brand components and the drivers are extremely well constructed. The turn around time when the DBR12s when in for their warranty repair was less than 2 weeks.

You can't really fault that!

I really don't know how Yamaha do it for those prices. All their music gear is always good value. An amazing company.

I'm after a really nice 12ch analogue mixer next.

I really don't know how Yamaha do it for those prices. All their music gear is always good value. An amazing company.

I'm after a really nice 12ch analogue mixer next.
My first of their pro audio products was the MG166CX 16 channel mixer which was a cheaper model in the range but worked flawlessly and withstood probably 8 years of continuous use. It was still working when I replaced it with the MGP and sold it. The MGP is a rally nice mixer. its digital section could've been better implemented and the control app is, sadly, a waste of time, but other than that it's well made and sounds great. There's a 12 channel mixer in the MGP lineup, the MGP12X

advertisement

Back