advertisement

Prince Philip RIP

I met him on several occasions. He was a very personable and fun human being.

Sadly he didn't look well when he recently came out of hospital.

Blue Skies sir.

Should that not be 'Fair winds and following seas...'?

One of the worlds loons. He was always his own man and that deserves respect. Sad day for the Queen and family of course. RIP.

It’s more a matter of decency. There very, very few people I’d say it’s reasonable to crow about their death. Everyone else deserves some respect. I worry about the morals of those who can’t hold back.

That's entirely a different matter - let's just say his public 'witicisms' were a little detatched from common decency - over decades.

It's disappointing to see a thread here where non-royalist opinions are disallowed. Google the ****

<moderating>

It is an RIP thread, negativity is inappropriate IMO. FWIW we also try to delete all the ‘well I thought X was crap’ type posts from muso RIP threads etc too. Just not the place nor time. There have been plenty of other threads about the value/lack thereof of monarchy and my views are hardly secret, but other than this moderating post I’ll be leaving this thread well alone! I’ll be avoiding the TV too!

Don’t see any reason why this thread should go off on that tangent. I’d happily see them all gone, but I don’t wish a ninety-nine man any ill. Plenty of other opportunities to discuss the rights and wrongs of Royalty.

That's fine. I have nothing against speaking ill of the dead myself but other people hold different views. More interestingly, I think he seems to be the one who led the household and held it all together - he supported Diana by some accounts.

<moderating>

It is an RIP thread, negativity is inappropriate IMO. FWIW we also try to delete all the ‘well I thought X was crap’ type posts from muso RIP threads etc too. Just not the place nor time. There have been plenty of other threads about the value/lack thereof of monarchy and my views are hardly secret, but other than this moderating post I’ll be leaving this thread well alone! I’ll be avoiding the TV too!

This really doesn't make good reading for an anti fascist such as yourself now we've gone beyond the immediate RIP part of the thread...

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/10/the-fascist-sympathies-of-britains-aristocracy

RIP Phil but in truth I was more upset when old Queen Mary died and a Streatham ice hockey match was postponed, never been the same since!
It will be interesting to see how events unfold when the King died (Betty's Dad) people were so much more interested in the Royal family and coverage was enormous and went on for ages.

Not unexpected of course and he has had a good life.
Thats well remembered sir... 1953 was a long time ago ! Wembley Lions were the best btw.

That's fine. I have nothing against speaking ill of the dead myself but other people hold different views. More interestingly, I think he seems to be the one who led the household and held it all together - he supported Diana by some accounts.
You can speak ill of the dead but to do it on the day or week of their death is tasteless in the extreme. Someone like Jair Bolsonaro would be a better target but even though I’d be relieved at his passing I’d not be “dancing on his grave”.

advertisement

Back