advertisement

Prince Philip RIP

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal
Literally "May his honoured soul be at God's right hand", for those who are wondering. ("Ar dheis Dé..." is the Irish equivalent of "May he/she rest in peace")

My wife's workplace was one of the stops on Elizabeth's visit to Ireland ten years ago (in the second part of the tour, after the heavy diplomatic lifting had been done). In person, Philip came across as someone who was genuinely happy to be there. Not weighed down by the need to represent a country, he used his position of "Not The Head of State" to break the ice, and made what was a politically heavily-loaded visit seem more like a holiday for everyone involved.

I do feel sorry for Elizabeth - to have lost a partner of such long standing must be heartbreaking.

The racing ( queens favourite sport ) has been moved to itv 4 !. I m sure Philip would have raised a smile at that one. RIP

I met him on several occasions. He was a very personable and fun human being.

Sadly he didn't look well when he recently came out of hospital.

Blue Skies sir.

I met the Duke briefly; when I was presented with my DofE Gold many years ago. Very quick witted indeed.

RIP, Sir.

Literally "May his honoured soul be at God's right hand", for those who are wondering. ("Ar dheis Dé..." is the Irish equivalent of "May he/she rest in peace")

My wife's workplace was one of the stops on Elizabeth's visit to Ireland ten years ago (in the second part of the tour, after the heavy diplomatic lifting had been done). In person, Philip came across as someone who was genuinely happy to be there. Not weighed down by the need to represent a country, he used his position of "Not The Head of State" to break the ice, and made what was a politically heavily-loaded visit seem more like a holiday for everyone involved.

I do feel sorry for Elizabeth - to have lost a partner of such long standing must be heartbreaking.

Yes, I feel pretty much the same, on both counts. 'Himself and Herself' as we might say round here, played an absolute blinder on that visit, given the historical backdrop between the two countries. Aside from that, I always thought he was a funny and charismatic guy, and have a lot of respect for the role he played over such a long time. A fine innings all told.

RIP Phil but in truth I was more upset when old Queen Mary died and a Streatham ice hockey match was postponed, never been the same since!
It will be interesting to see how events unfold when the King died (Betty's Dad) people were so much more interested in the Royal family and coverage was enormous and went on for ages.

Not unexpected of course and he has had a good life.

advertisement

Back