advertisement

Prince Charles

^ it is being shown to be too hard with biased media and unprincipled politicians. And enough uneducated voters with the attention span of a goldfish.

Speaking personally, I've always regarded the Royal Family as ridiculous, but then I was born into a Catholic family with Irish roots, and went to schools which were also Catholic, so all that 'Queen and Country' stuff passed me by. My parents were both life-long Labour supporters, well to the left of Kinnock, let alone Blair, and my mother was a strong Republican.

With that background, I have zero interest in the Royals and go out of my way to avoid reading about them, or watching TV coverage of royal weddings/funerals. But Mrs H, who was raised as CofE and went to CofE schools, does take an interest in them, even though she's far from being a rabid monarchist.

It would be a brave politician who raised even the vaguest idea of doing away with the monarchy. Even Corbyn, himself a Republican, saw that a) it was a low priority and b) not a vote-winner.

It would be a brave politician who raised even the vaguest idea of doing away with the monarchy. Even Corbyn, himself a Republican, saw that a) it was a low priority and b) not a vote-winner.

Even the SNP plan to keep the monarchy if Scotland gets independence - initially at least. No point throwing away votes over it I suspect.

Even the SNP plan to keep the monarchy if Scotland gets independence - initially at least. No point throwing away votes over it I suspect.
That's very strange. How will they consider themselves an independent nation sharing a monarch with the entity from which they sought independence? Of course I know the Queen is a figurehead 'head of state' in Australia etc, but that's just a charade likely on its way out.

You'd think the independent Scots, if remaining monarchists, would be eager to revive the Scottish line. Admittedly Royal lineage is outside my purview, so maybe they'll declare the current monarch as the 'Scottish monarch' and say they're allowing the English to share? :D

For all their republicanism, the French apparently have an avid interest in British royalty, so I'm told. Is this true I wonder?

For those advocating abolishing the monarchy, I have just one question:

who, would you say, is most likely to get to choose what replaces it?

My guess would be, the answer to that will be ‘the government of the time’.

Do you still want it abolishing? Asking for a friend.

For all their republicanism, the French apparently have an avid interest in British royalty, so I'm told. Is this true I wonder?
Some do, most not. Most don't like the idea of being "a subject" as they are all "citoyens" of La Republique and have "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" as guiding principles.

I did once have a bizarre conversation with a French woman who was a staunch Lady Di fan.

That's very strange. How will they consider themselves an independent nation sharing a monarch with the entity from which they sought independence? Of course I know the Queen is a figurehead 'head of state' in Australia etc, but that's just a charade likely on its way out.

You'd think the independent Scots, if remaining monarchists, would be eager to revive the Scottish line. Admittedly Royal lineage is outside my purview, so maybe they'll declare the current monarch as the 'Scottish monarch' and say they're allowing the English to share? :D

I suspect it's primarily that they don't give a shit about the monarchy one way or another and instead want to focus on the more serious issues needing attention. Just imagine the foaming at the mouth from the mainstream press if Scotland was planning to abolish the monarchy.

The Italians follow events among UK royalty quite a bit. Lots of Lady Di fans here, too. It is entertainment, a bit like following Downton Abbey or what Kim Kardashian is up to.

The Italians follow events among UK royalty quite a bit. Lots of Lady Di fans here, too. It is entertainment, a bit like following Downton Abbey or what Kim Kardashian is up to.

And it has been thus for at least the past two hundred years or so.

Up until relatively recently, though, the mainstream UK press self-censored its coverage of the Royal Family, so you'd need to read US or European newspapers for information about, say, Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson.

This could be true. I remember lunch with some French friends and their chums during the Lille Braderie some years ago. They were rather surprised by my lack of knowledge of, or interest in, the then-recent Royal Baby. I wasn’t even sure who the parents were. But then [insert possibly treasonable Royal Joke here.]

advertisement

Back