Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Prince Charles

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, Sep 19, 2021.

1. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Harry is the ginger who wants to have his cake and eat it. William is his brother. Andrew is their creepy uncle. How did I do?

Darren, Rug Doc and cctaylor like this.
  2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Harry is indeed ginger haired. Apart from that, if you are asking me I’m afraid I have no idea.

3. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

On the subject of everything bad contributed to him in this thread, isn't that what royalties always done?

Let's compare him to, let's say, Richard 'the lionheart' and everything pales.

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Richard was good to Robin Hood, who has Big Ears been good to?

RJohan likes this.
  5. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Why don’t you just get rid of monarchy altogether?
    A bit of dusting would certainly be useful. Kings and queens should really just be chess and playing card figures these days.
    Prince Charles is of no political significance anyway, so yes, a figurehead he will be when QE2 finally kicks the bucket.

Darren, Bananahead and narabdela like this.
  6. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

A monarchy symbolises a childish need to look up to an overlord.

A monarchy is a symbol of an immature democracy

Nic Robinson likes this.
  8. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

According to Sir Walter Scott, yes. I'm not sure he's 100% historically correct...

9. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I wouldn't disagree entirely, but the Belgians, Danes, Dutch, Norwegians Spanish and Swedes may have a different view.

In some ways we jumped the gun with Oliver Cromwell.

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Dozens of Hollywood Blockbuster Documentaries can`t be wrong.

RJohan likes this.
  11. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

Maybe, but at the moment, it's our Monarchy that plays a very significant role in keeping other countries wanting to remain engaged with us.

No Monarchy? Then your leader has meetings with the PM, Deputy PM and foreign secretary. How attractive to those outside the UK do you think that would look at the moment?

Sloop John B and eternumviti like this.
  12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Rubbish

13. Seeker_UK

Which bit? The useful for diplomacy bit or the more attractive than Boris, Dominic or Liz Truss bit?

[edit]

You seem a bit more of a crosspatch than normal, Bob. You OK?

ks.234 likes this.
  14. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Jeez ..I only read this because I thought that he might have kicked the bucket, never mind perhaps next time!

ks.234 likes this.
  15. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Good point. Which I guess also makes Boris Johnson and populism another symptom of an immature democracy

16. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Oh really? You think that Betty has much day-to-day interaction with any other government?

17. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Very attractive! No need to dress up with medals and decorations, no need to sit through long boring lunches. A "President" is much easier to manage, and you can change him if he's no good.

The main problem in abolishing the UK monarchy is you'd have to re-name everything; Royal Opera House, Royal Navy, RAF, RCMP, RSPCC, RSPCA, Royal Mail, it goes on for ever!

RJohan likes this.
  18. Seeker_UK

Go and look at footage of G7 this year and see who the foreign leaders spent more time with. Rightly or wrongly, they like to meet and be seen with the UK Royal family.

19. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

I'm Swedish and agree on the 'not very democratic' view. The job as head of state is inherited is of course completely undemocratic. Still, 'our' King is quite a nice chap that arranges a historic car meet every year, attends and is happily photographed in front of them.

20. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

So now you think that the G7 leaders won't bother attending if your queen is not there?