advertisement

Prince Charles

MikeMA

pfm Member
I'm centre left and no supporter of the concept of royalty or aristocracy, but we are where we are, and I can't help thinking that Charles has grown into a fairly amiable old cove and we could do worse for a king who, lets face it, is simply a figurehead. I may be unduly influenced by the fact (a) he's about the same age as me and I like to think I'm becoming more amiable with each passing year and (b) I've just enjoyed a rather good bottle of Beaujolais preceded by a good stiff gin. What do others think?

Just to confirm my credentials, I think this years Chelsea Flower Show has just the right element of edginess, with balcony gardens and a rather nice lady Russian entrant, who I hope does well.

PS I shall probably come to regret posting this.

I'm centre left and no supporter of the concept of royalty or aristocracy, but we are where we are, and I can't help thinking that Charles has grown into a fairly amiable old cove and we could do worse for a king who, lets face it, is simply a figurehead. I may be unduly influenced by the fact (a) he's about the same age as me and I like to think I'm becoming more amiable with each passing year and (b) I've just enjoyed a rather good bottle of Beaujolais preceded by a good stiff gin. What do others think?
I think the preceding stiff gin spoilt your pallet and so you didn't enjoy the Beaujolais at its best. BTW I love Beaujolais.

Cheers,

DV

I’m a fairly amiable old cove too, and getting more amiable as the Rochefort 10 kicks in. I’m prepared to put my name forward if you think I’d make a suitable alternative.

On second thoughts, it’s probably best not to hold me to the ‘fairly amiable’ bit.

Also the wine thread gene pool could do with being widened a little. Why don’t you post about your Beaujolais? You will be welcomed with open arms (provided the cut of your jib is right, and you don’t use expressions like ‘bursting with crunchy fruit’, obvs.)

Rochefort 10, now your talking.
Its about as good as it gets. However I like to vary my intake of abbey beers and then come back and enjoy Rochefort 10 even more. I still have a few Westvleteren 12 left that should be good after 5 years storage. These abbey beers really do improve with age. I recently tried a St Bernardus 12 that I stored for 7 years and it was absolutely fantastic and totally different from its younger self.

Oh Gawd here we go,

DV

My favourite is De Garre Tripel, but you have to goto Bruges to buy it from the one bar that serves it! Goddam.

if anyone is going can you please buy me a magnum?? I’ll make it worth while!

The problem is he thinks he understands things like architecture, arts etc, and causes damage in those area due to the entirely inappropriate weight his position of birth carries. In reality he apparently needs a full team of people to dress himself each day. It is therefore wise to consider whatever he says about any subject the views of someone who may not quite understand how trousers work.

Thing that always pisses me off is he talks like he is so wise. It so condescending coming from someone who is conspicuously unexceptional. I still prefer a royal to a political head of state mind.

(a) .....I like to think I'm becoming more amiable with each passing year and (b) I've just enjoyed a rather good bottle of Beaujolais preceded by a good stiff gin. What do others think?

Yup, I'm thinking along the same lines...... :D:D:D:D:D

I’ve not heard much from him for years. I expect by the time he takes over, the monarchy will be of limited interest in the UK.

If the Sunday Times exposee of the last three weeks is true he’s a borderline crook.
Cash for honours.
Bung him £500K and you get all sorts of positions. Russians, Saudis have all benefitted.
Money disappears into obscure charities that have done nothing and can’t account for it.
All carefully set up for plausible deniability.
Totally unsuitable as heir imho.

I’m a fairly amiable old cove too, and getting more amiable as the Rochefort 10 kicks in. I’m prepared to put my name forward if you think I’d make a suitable alternative.

On second thoughts, it’s probably best not to hold me to the ‘fairly amiable’ bit.

Also the wine thread gene pool could do with being widened a little. Why don’t you post about your Beaujolais? You will be welcomed with open arms (provided the cut of your jib is right, and you don’t use expressions like ‘bursting with crunchy fruit’, obvs.)
You're a bit younger than me and Prince Charles I think, which would probably makes up for any shortfall in the amiability stakes, so you may be ok.

Thanks for the invitation to contribute to the wine thread. I think my jib is ok(ish) but I'm a pleb when it comes to wine, and easily pleased. By way of illustration, I'm amazed at how drinkable and what good value supermarket wine is. :eek:

You're a bit younger than me and Prince Charles I think, which would probably makes up for any shortfall in the amiability stakes, so you may be ok.

Thanks for the invitation to contribute to the wine thread. I think my jib is ok(ish) but I'm a pleb when it comes to wine, and easily pleased. By way of illustration, I'm amazed at how drinkable and what good value supermarket wine is. :eek:
A bit younger, yes. Than him, anyway. My problems with the royals are (1) I really don’t care and (2) after Charles’ generation I honestly don’t know what relation A is to B. I couldn’t tell you with any certainty right now who Harry, Andrew and William are for example, although I could probably take a decent stab at it if I thought for long enough.

Regarding the wine thread, go for it. It’s really only an excuse to post a picture, spout some nonsense and say what you are listening to (see all my posts for proof.) And recommendations for good value supermarket wine are always welcome. Think of it as not so much an invitation, more a summons.

advertisement

Back