advertisement

Primare phono stage experience?

manicatel

pfm Member
Anyone on here use a Primare R35 or similar phono stage?
I’m maybe thinking of a change, looking to spend up to £1500 max but prefer a bit less on a 2nd hand unit.
Currently have an Audio Research ph5, which is getting on a bit now, along with an Orbe & Lyra Kleos. I’d like something with a little bit more gain than the 57.5db that the PH5 gives & something neutral-to-fractionally on the warm side of neutral. Definitely nothing too bright or forwards, but equally nothing too soft in the bass end.
Can’t justify spending big on something like a newer AR stage.
Any thoughts?

I've got the Primare R30. I've had a few others, nothing really expensive, but all well regarded. It's the first time for me that LPs (especially orchestral) have really sounded "right". I paid something like £5-600 secondhand, can't remember exactly, and use it with a Gyrodeck/RB300/Goldring 1042. Very happy and not looking to change anything ! :)

I’d recommend a used Whest PS30 or PS30RDT. I’ve owned both and I used several carts. incl. a Lyra Delos and Kleos.

Last edited:
I have the new Graham Slee Accession. It's fantastic and I cannot imagine much competition at the price. The mono switch and potentiometer are definite benefits.

Anyone on here use a Primare R35 or similar phono stage?
I’m maybe thinking of a change, looking to spend up to £1500 max but prefer a bit less on a 2nd hand unit.
Currently have an Audio Research ph5, which is getting on a bit now, along with an Orbe & Lyra Kleos. I’d like something with a little bit more gain than the 57.5db that the PH5 gives & something neutral-to-fractionally on the warm side of neutral. Definitely nothing too bright or forwards, but equally nothing too soft in the bass end.
Can’t justify spending big on something like a newer AR stage.
Any thoughts?
I've got an R32 to go along with my I32 amp. They crop up for £500-600 relatively regularly. Sounds really good to me (Pink Triangle and Source turntables with an AT 33PTGii). I'd absolutely call it neutral as the balance is pretty indistinguishable from line inputs.

HTH

Iain.

I have an R35, which I bought to replace a valve phono stage which was picking up noise from my Primare I25 amp. The cartridge is an Ortofon MC15, a low output MC. The R35 has enough gain for this cartridge, and is very quiet.

Thanks for the suggestions & opinions guys. Much appreciated & food for thought.
I realise there are so many opinions & options to consider, G. slee, MF, ProJect as well as some of the more boutique choices.
For some reason, Whest & Primare seem to have tweaked my interest, but I’m not basing that on anything objective. Always good to get peoples experiences from here before getting some potential demos sorted.

I had the R32 for a while. It was very neutral and clean. Ultimately, I found it a little cold and 'matter of fact'. I moved on to a pint sized ANT Kora Ltd edition (MC only) phono stage which I found, ironically given the size difference, produced a fuller, slightly warmer sound.

advertisement

Back