advertisement

Primare I30 - user feedback please

hughmc2

pfm Member
assistance please. ~ Primare I30 ~

do you have one, what do you like about it ?

did you have one, why did you sell it ?

will I get the best from it running it single ended ? ( CD23 doesn't do balanced )

any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks. I've pretty much made up my mind to track one down from somewhere.
Even to the point of already costing up pieces of 20mm black granite and 20mm acrylic sheet to match the ones that the Gyro sits on.

I had one until quite recently. It looks the business and has the sound quality to boot. It has a very big effortlessly powerful sound. Not the last word in detail but a fun and very easy to live with listen. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I had one until quite recently. It looks the business and has the sound quality to boot. It has a very big effortlessly powerful sound. Not the last word in detail but a fun and very easy to live with listen. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I am surprised that you say it's not big on detail. Hadn't read that anywhere. Less detailed than the Arcam A32 would you say ??

I'm after something that looks the biz but I do like to hear everything thats there,

I didn't say that and I certainly didn't mean to imply that either. So just to clarify I would say that the I30 handles detail very well. I just think that the Nait XS that I replaced it with, which is similar money second hand, is a little bit better in that respect. There's very little in it though and the trade off is that the Naim lacks some grunt compared to the Primare.

I haven't heard the A32 but, having heard what the I30 can do, I wouldn't (I didn't) hesitate to spend my money on one. What speakers have you got? Both the Primare and the Naim sound great with Spendor SA1s and ProAc Tablettes. The Primare was especially good with the SA1s in my opinion. I didn't get the chance to try the I30 with my recently acquired A6s unfortunately, but I imagine it would have sounded pretty special.

I have B&W CM5 which suit my room, which is pretty devoid of "soft furnishings"

Their sound seems to suit my music tastes and they look really good. Superficial I know but hey people are strange. I even heard of people spending £200 on a power cable :confused:

I had CM8s when I bought the I30. Quite enjoyed that combo. Maybe on the bright side of neutral if I had to pick holes but wow that midrange. And they certainly do look the business.

If the CM5s sound right in your room, then the I30 is unlikely to upset that. It's a pretty neutral sounding amp.

thanks very much for your help.

I never thought it would be so difficult to spend money. Have no problem buying the wife a car, or paying for daughters uni' or sons insurance ( daylight bleedin' robbery )

but buying something for myself. Why is it so painful :confused:

How much do they go for? I'm vaguely interested in shifting my MF A370/MX combo purely because a) they're old and I'm pretty certain the A370 no longer giving it's best. b) they look somewhat unsightly sitting on the floor behind my TV cabinet/speakers and I would quite like something smaller and integrated with the same performance that I could sit in the TV cabinet.

From the little research I've done so far it seems to depend on which colour you are after. I seems to easier to get a silver version that still looks tidy for maybe £800 but you may need to go up to £1000 to find a black that doesn't look a bit tired. If only because of the nature of black painted aluminium / steel

anybody with a black peugeot 308 can confirm this :mad:

I thought it was the other way around and that the silver ones were more expensive. I bought my very tidy black one for about £700.

hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong ( as a long line of people will be ready to confirm )

but if I could find a very tidy black one for £700 I would be a very happy man.

My I21's front panel was anodised black - the steel case was sprayed. That anodising was absolutely perfect. When I cleaned off fingerprints to swap it with a friend's amp, it looked new - no polishing around knobs or buttons. The lid was embossed with Primare's trademark symbol

I've no experience of the I30, but I have one of their SP31.7 processors. Build quality on these things is great, the case work really is top notch. Last year I did have to send mine in for repair, digital board died. Karma AV are the Primare distributors in the UK and they sorted it out with little fuss, quickly, and at a reasonable price too (~£200 all in). So, definite piece of mind there, if the worst did come to worst.

I got fed up having to dismantle my naim cdx to retrieve the puck that my wife and her pals managed to lose inside the player every Friday night I sold all my naim kit and replaced it with the Primare i30 and cd 31 and i have never regretted doing so I run them with a mogami balanced interconnect and avi pro nine plus speakers The i30 is a lovely piece of kit dual mono every component a mirror image great sound, plenty power you wont be dissapointed

advertisement

Back