Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Primaluna Dialogue Premium - Integrated Valve Amplifier

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Elephantears, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Fantastic Integrated from Primaluna that garnered rave reviews. This is the later version of the Dialogue Premium with the beautiful curved valve cage. It's almost identical to the EVO 300, which retails at £3800. This is available for £1800. It's in excellent condition, better than any I've seen on the market over the last year or two. There are just a couple of minor marks on the side, which I'll show in detailed photos.

It is in the original box, and comes with original Primaluna EL34 valves, Primaluna EC882s as driver valves, and 2 x JJ ECC82s as pre-amp valves. This model has also been upgraded with some premium Mundorf capacitors which makes for even greater clarity. The original capacitors will be included for the sake of completism.

It's a wonderful sounding amp that manages to combine the typical valve qualities of tonal warmth and refinement with exceptional clarity. It is also astonishingly quiet, and because Primaluna don't push the valves, it runs cool. You don't get the space heater effect that makes some valve amps unusable in summer.

In terms of power valves, it is highly flexible. I've tried it with EL34, KT77, KT88, and KT120. It sounds great with all of them. You really have the opportunity to chose your flavour, and to match it with different speakers. The auto-biasing function makes this all very easy indeed. The great thing about Primaluna, I think, is that they are making classic valve designs with point to point wiring, but they are adding these superbly executed modern touches.

One of the big advantages of the Dialogue Premium, along with the EVO 300 and 400, is the pre-amp section, with 4 driver valves and 2 preamp valves. This makes it very revealing and tonally pure. Pre-amp rolling has significant effects, although ultimately sticking with modern valves will give you an excellent all-round sound (and protect your sanity if, like me, you have a tendency to get sucked into experimentation).

The remote control is beautifully built, and does everything, including switching between Triode and Pentode mode, which gives you a useful choice between a more neutral and dynamic sound in Pentode and a mid-range focus in Triode.

In these pictures it is loaded with KT88s, but it comes with EL34s. I will also be advertising a lot of power valves, but I will give the buyer of this amp first choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elephantears

Forgot to say that I'm in SE London.

3. Elephantears

EL34 Thursday.

4. eastone

eastone pfm Member

ELThursday4, shhhurely?

This is a great buy for someone. Fuss-free valve setup without compromises. Plus Andrew’s kit is always very well looked after.

GLWTS

Elephantears likes this.
  5. Elephantears

KT88 Friday.

And thanks Ian (eastone). I've found it very hard to come to a decision to let this go - it was bought when my power amp needed repair, but it put up such a strong argument I didn't bother getting the repair for ages, then when I did, I was faced with a difficult decision.

Recently I really liked this amp with KT88s. In the past I've preferred KT120s, KT77s, and EL34s. So I really can't be say which is best overall. It's quite speaker dependent. Happy to give advice to anyone wanting to try the different flavours, because I've done a lot of valve rolling with this amp.

6. Elephantears

Now £1750

7. Elephantears

KT120 Sunday

8. Elephantears

Now on eBay

htm_1968 likes this.
  9. Elephantears

10. Elephantears

Still here

11. Elephantears

I've realised that collection only is a disastrous strategy during a petrol crisis!

I'm considering offering postage as the packaging is very good, but I'd still prefer not to if possible. So I might just wait and re-advertise when cars are back on the road, but if anyone is interested let me know.

12. Elephantears

13. Elephantears

14. Elephantears

15. Elephantears

Bump. Someone buy this amp with Jowcol's LS5/9s - that would be a fabulous system!

16. Elephantears

17. Maxbertola

Maxbertola pfm Member

I currently own a PrimaLuna EVO 100 integrated after years of everything under the sun including 282/SC/250 and a Pass Labs INT-25, and this PL is really a joy for ears and eyes. I can not but recommend the Dialogue Premium enough. Someone might bring a lot of happy music home.
    M.

18. Elephantears

Thanks Max - some very interesting comparative reference there - I'd expect the class A Pass Labs to be wonderfully rich and smooth, and the 282/SC/250 to be very dynamic, detailed, and involving. Primaluna amps have a great mix of those qualities.

19. Maxbertola

Maxbertola pfm Member

Hi, yes, indeed the amps sound as described. I bought the PrimaLuna because I had Klipsch Heresy IIIs and had wanted to try tubes for a long time. I am very pleased with my amp, build quality is also beyond reproach.
    M.

20. Elephantears

I've been away but back now, so reminding that this is for sale. £1750 and I can do a good deal on alternative power valves.