advertisement

Premium diesel? Additives? Neither?

All the towns in the Borders have had their limit dropped to 20mph. I found it a little annoying at first, but now I’m used to it I’m definitely in favour. Should be introduced everywhere.
In a lot of towns, 30 does feel a bit quick and, given traffic conditions, the actual rate of progress is rarely >20mph anyway, so I'd have no problem with that.

Many speedos are extremely accurate now, often within 1mph. At most, I set my speed to an indicated 10%+1, just to be sure. But some areas have an almost zero tolerance approach. So then I just play chess on my iPhone.
I find at 70 my speedo indicates 72, at 30 it's 31. To get to know variance I use the GPS readout on Waze. Getting it right is critical for cameras...nowadays I push the limits less than I used to.

I find at 70 my speedo indicates 72, at 30 it's 31. To get to know variance I use the GPS readout on Waze. Getting it right is critical for cameras...nowadays I push the limits less than I used to.

I don't know the latest, but certainly about 15 years ago GPS readings weren't that accurate for civilians. I think the accuracy has improved, but if it was really important to me I think I'd find a measured mile somewhere, a stopwatch and a bored friend.

It isn't that important to me, and I think that as with most of us on this forum, I'd rather back off a tiny bit and relax, rather than chase meaningless saved seconds here and there.

If couple minutes late for car is nothing, then lost five minutes for truck driver may result in extra 45 minutes on the bench before you get to destanation as there is continuous driving time limit.

If couple minutes late for car is nothing, then lost five minutes for truck driver may result in extra 45 minutes on the bench before you get to destanation as there is continuous driving time limit.
I don’t concern myself with lorries. I give them room, don’t hinder them, so they’re not a problem.

UK is probably most diverse country for truck speed. UK is 96km/h, most from continent 90km/h with so more becoming limited to 85km/h, there is some supermarket trucks which are something like 80km/h. That may feel like trucks all over the place taking over each other.

Do not know if we can call it addetives, but exhoust from modern trucks realy stinks. Because of AdBlue? On other side, petrol with a bit of oil, like trimmers and chainsaws - like perfumes.

Actually, the energy content is the same; it's just that the higher octane allows more ignition advance/ higher boost (on turbocharged engines) before the detonation limit is reached.

Yes, that's why I referred to energy liberated per cycle, not energy density of the fuel. :)

advertisement

Back