advertisement

Pre/Dac/Headphone Amp all-in-one required

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
<£500. Small size preferred. To be used with Leak Stereo 20.

Preferably with at least 2 optical inputs and two line level inputs. Any suggestions?

I've seen a couple of the Chinese HLLY ones, wondered what else was out there.

thanks

Matrix Mini should do you, I think Muz640 had one for a while oh and there is the Beresford Caiman.

My Caiman has one optical, 2 RCA and one usb, excellent headphone amplifier and both fixed and variable outputs.

My Caiman has one optical, 2 RCA and one usb, excellent headphone amplifier and both fixed and variable outputs.

How are you finding it Malcolm?

Do you have it with a transport or computer or both? Like the OP I'm thinking of getting a DAC, and I wonder how good they really sound, compared to your TT for instance?

Caiman is very good for the money - I'd go for the Caiman+ on the assumption that it's sonically better than the standard one.

"no fixed line level output is available"

thats going to be annoying. odd omission

Why so? If you don't alter the volume control you have a fixed line out e.g. turn it up to max volume and leave it set there.

Edit: Alternatively, why not consider the NuForce Icon HD - http://www.nuforce.com/hp/docs/Icon HD Manual.pdf

The Icon HD is designed for users who want the Icon HDP's world-class USB DAC and headphone-amp performance without having a need for the Icon HDP's flexibilities.

Caiman is very good for the money - I'd go for the Caiman+ on the assumption that it's sonically better than the standard one.

I like my Caiman + and I believe that there are a range of aftermarket upgrades available too if you so wish.

However, the orginal question was seeking digit optical inputs AND two line inputs. The Caiman has 4 digital inputs only (2 x digital optical TOSLINK and 2 x digital inputs for Coaxial connections/single RCAs). I though "line level input" would mean analogue inputs and if so, then the Caiman+ would not meet this requirement?

advertisement

Back