advertisement

Pre amplifier volume controls

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all.
Why do you have to turn up some pre amplifiers more then others?
I have a linx Vega and a very rear H.D audio solo pre amplifier.
The H.D audio solo is on lone at the moment from the original maker. It was made a believe in the early 90's.
Any way.
The linx I hardly have to turn the knob at all to get to a good volume I'd never get it to 12.oclock but the H.D audio pre I have to have it about 10 or 11 o clock to get the same volume.
Is it better to have to turn it more or less? .

Many thanks

It’s a combination of factors, logarithmic vs linear volume pots, and power amp sensitivity affects with this for example. If a power amp has high I/P sensitivity then a volume pot with lots of gain lower down won’t need much travel to sound very loud. Input voltage matters too. A tuner with a low ish line output will be quieter than a CD player with a high one. Manufacturers don’t all work to the same standard either. Always try before you buy, else it’s a lottery. I’m sure there’s other factors too, that I haven’t mentioned.

Is it better to have to turn it more or less? .
No, it doesn't matter. The only challenge is that ganged volume controls (turns both left and right up and down simultaneously) can sometimes not track accurately at the lower end of the scale. This can lead to needing to adjust the balance.

My two preamps have quite different sensitivity. 12 o'clock on one is equivalent to 9 o'clock on the other. But I've not yet needed to go full unattenuated tilt, so in that regard the first gives me a wider, more usable control range.

No, it doesn't matter. The only challenge is that ganged volume controls (turns both left and right up and down simultaneously) can sometimes not track accurately at the lower end of the scale. This can lead to needing to adjust the balance.
Not if they are stepped attenuators like a Goldpoint.

Thank you for your replys.
I now understand abit more.
I to believe that one gives more control range.
I have also found that the input for phono and cd on the H.D audio is almost the same where as with the linx you can turn it up abit more.
So would that mean the inputs configured better?

My two preamps have quite different sensitivity. 12 o'clock on one is equivalent to 9 o'clock on the other. But I've not yet needed to go full unattenuated tilt, so in that regard the first gives me a wider, more usable control range.

Not if they are stepped attenuators like a Goldpoint.

Good point. I should have been clear that I was only talking about wiper-on-track potentiometers.

advertisement

Back