advertisement

Pre amp for ATC active + Lumin x1

SoundFreak

Friends,

Recently I acquired Lumin X1 along with ATC active scm40. X1 is directly connected to 40A via balanced output from x1. It sounds fantastic. No complain as such. But based on suggestion of other friend who has also has x1 and connected to scm50A, I am little inclined towards adding pre amp.

I have read lot of good posts about EAR 868 and very much interest in getting the same. but having little confusion as compatibility with scm40a and x1 in term of vrms , impedance etc.

In case anybody using similar combo, please can you share your experience?

secondly if anybody has done comparison between ear 868 and ATC sca2, please share your experience.

thanks

I think that unless you need additional analogue inputs/outputs, it's a bit pointless adding a preamp. Put the money towards SCM50s instead :)

Putting a pre-amp in seems pointless. A better Dac maybe if you only have one source. Balanced connection is pretty key IME.

One (unlikely) reason to use a pre-amp would be if your Lumin has a crap volume control, in which case running it without any attenuation into a decent preamp might be better. Back in the dark ages I had an ATC SCA2 preamp into SCM100ASLs. When I got into digital and got a decent DAC - a Benchmark DAC1 - I couldn’t hear any advantage in using a preamp, so sold the SCA2 which went a long way towards paying for the DAC.

One (unlikely) reason to use a pre-amp would be if your Lumin has a crap volume control, in which case running it without any attenuation into a decent preamp might be better. Back in the dark ages I had an ATC SCA2 preamp into SCM100ASLs. When I got into digital and got a decent DAC - a Benchmark DAC1 - I couldn’t hear any advantage in using a preamp, so sold the SCA2 which went a long way towards paying for the DAC.
That make sense. Thank you!

Adding a preamp to your system MAY improve the sound for you. Only an extended home demonstation will answer the question
i have tried many different preamps, as well as DAC direct, into my ATC Active 50's.
Adding some of the preamps i tried did not improve the sound and i preferred DAC direct
but adding some preamps did improve the sound for me
i suspect if you occassionally find the sound a little harsh you may find a preamp beneficial
The best solid state preamp i used was a Bel Canto Pre 3 VBS. This has been superceded by the Pre 5
I finally took the plunge and tried a valve pre. The PS Audio BHK preamp i now have is superb and i have no desire to change.

Fab , I use 2 bel canto pre 3 vbs , really like them. Been using for some while, one has a very good dc3 psu which really lifts the performance. I doubt the pre 5 could beat but I am thrilled bel canto have released a pre amp again

MFA Baby Ref v2 into active 50's sounds mighty fine here. Must add that already owned MFA prior to changing over to actives.

Hi
First of all, try to enable/disable the LEEDH volume control on the Lumin.

I ran a Lumin d2 direct into a traditional power amp, then tried a Townshend Allegri and liked it. The transparency is breathtaking. I assume the EAR will change how it sounds.

If you have gain controls on the actives you can adjust them so you mostly run the Lumin at close to 100% volume to ensure no bits are lost etc., and do fine tuning from the Lumin, w/o a preamp.

Omer.

have tried ATC scm50asl directly from Audio Aero Capitole, worked nice, but seemed to yearn for more. When I introduced SCA2 preamp, the real sound arrived. A perfect match.

I was recently in a local store and he had ATC SCM100 ASL's playing and they sounded sublime.

He was feeding them with a Mola Mola Makua (with onboard DAC/Tambaqui) which itself was fed by an Antipodes K50. However all that front end was very expensive and I cannot help wonder what it would sound like with just the standalone Tambaqui (with digital volume) control plugged straight into ethernet.

Friends,

Recently I acquired Lumin X1 along with ATC active scm40. X1 is directly connected to 40A via balanced output from x1. It sounds fantastic. No complain as such. But based on suggestion of other friend who has also has x1 and connected to scm50A, I am little inclined towards adding pre amp.

I have read lot of good posts about EAR 868 and very much interest in getting the same. but having little confusion as compatibility with scm40a and x1 in term of vrms , impedance etc.

In case anybody using similar combo, please can you share your experience?

secondly if anybody has done comparison between ear 868 and ATC sca2, please share your experience.

thanks

As has been mentioned don’t spend until you’ve tried one in your system be it the EAR or ATC.

Unless mistaken, I am sure there would not be any concerns regarding impedance mis matches, I recall several users over the years have matched EAR pres to active ATCs. If in doubt mail ATC direct.

If it were me…I’d go ATC on the basis that the speakers and amps have been designed to work together however I would go the CDA2 mkii way. That said I know nothing about the Lumin and what it offers in terms of functionality vs.your needs, I am assuming you need DAC and steaming capabilities/Roon.

I think another final point is that if you do insert a pre with the Lumin, if you hear a difference you’ve got to decide if that difference is adding any value to the listening experience compared to the £££££ outlay. Sorry if stating the obvious, I’ve been there when a change is made and a difference is deemed as better when properly it was not!

If the system is based on digital audio and want the best performance from ATC active monitors (and this should also be the case with numerous power amplifiers) SCM19A's, SCM40A's, SCM100ASL's, etc, then ATC active monitors need to be directly fed from an Ed Meitner - EMM Labs/Meitner Audio proprietary DAC/Pre partly because their V Control which "maintains the input signal without re-quantization allowing for complete transparency at any volume setting, wide attenuation range, and no loss of audio resolution."

Ed Meitner knows a thing a two and then some about digital audio :)

Ed_2.jpg

advertisement

Back