Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre Amp/DAC

Discussion in 'audio' started by Mallard, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Mallard

Mallard Member

Hi all
    I Have a Pre Amp/DAC in my system that has failed, I’m going to have it repaired at some stage but under present circumstances it’s looking unlikely for a couple of months, I’m wondering if there is any suggestions for a short term replacement without spending too much and also weather I’d even be able to get it delivered. In these times of isolation listening to some nice music is more important than ever.
    It would be paired with singular bel canto power amp and some small monitor speakers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Wilson

Wilson SCTV half wit

3. cpg

cpg pfm Member

Beresford Caiman SEG and Dorado, modded by Stan (2 weeks for the mods)

It's not perfect, but close, considerably better than my old pre/DAC that cost 4x as much.

In your case I would just buy the Caiman SEG, see if you like it and then you can add a power supply conditioner, Dorado, and have the mods done later if you choose.

They are posted from London and would be with you in a couple of days. See Art of Sound, Digital, Beresford Blog, for more information.

4. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Audiolab MDAC? Seem to fetch about £250 on eBay, though none on offer today.

5. Mallard

Mallard Member

Thanks very much for the suggestions!
    I like the idea of this as I have XLR cables ready to go, is there anything similar as as you say don’t seem to be available.

6. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

Benchmark DAC HDR :)

7. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

They sold very well, so there will be plenty about, so I suspect one will crop up on eBay soon, or maybe ask in the classifieds here. Mine is a Lakewest Modified unit, but I'm very pleased with it. The original standard one completely outperformed the DAC / Preamp combo I was about to buy some years ago, and saved me about £6,000.

8. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Topping DX3 pro, £160 on Amazon at the moment, excellent DAC for the money.

9. Weirdness

Weirdness pfm Member

Possibly more than you want to spend but there are some really good deals floating around on the Teac NT-505 which is a Pre/Streamer/DAC.

Received mine yesterday, it's well built and sounds very good indeed and the Lumin app is actually pretty good for control. MQA files via Tidal sounding quite impressive thus far.

10. Mallard

Mallard Member

Cheers but you’re right it’s about twice the top end of what I’m looking to spend but has all the right connections
    Just to add I’ll be streaming tidal through sonos & using a cdt also

11. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

12. Mallard

Mallard Member

13. agracie

agracie pfm Member

Beresfords are a great dac, although can’t comment on the pre stage as solely used it as a dac. Great value for money and hold their second hand price well, so as an interim it’s probably worth looking at. Stan has always provided great service and helpful advise.

14. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Endorsed ;)

good bluetooth

15. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

16. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  17. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

There a new upgrade for the SEG that Stan says really improves the pre side in case anyone is interested.

18. Drumossie

Drumossie And not or

There's an M Dac + for sale on the wam just now, £450 though.

Curtis likes this.
  19. Mallard

Mallard Member

Thanks & thanks to everyone for all the other suggestions,