Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Power on delay

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by killie99, Jan 19, 2022.

1. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Looking for advice on the best way to do this.
    I have 2 5v power supplies I want to control from 1 power switch but I want there to be a 2 second delay between the 2 supplies switching on - not strictly true, I want a 2 second delay on the outputs of the supplies being applied to the devices they are attached to.
    So, is it better (easier/simpler) to delay the application of 240Vac to the supplies or delay the 5Vdc being applied to device requiring power? The device I want delayed will need 5V @ 3A.

Would one of these off ebay be suitable or feel free to recommend something else, including using 2 power buttons if that's the most sensible thing to do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19464021...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Easier to switch the 240V. More info needed though! ie that module needs 5V to power it.....

3. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

I could feed it 5v from the supply I’m not delaying. What’s the easiest way to delay the 240v?

4. Arkless Electronics

Sorted then. Erm... you delay the 240V with the module you linked to! First 5V supply powers module which delays 240V by up to 10S, adjustable by the preset on the board, switched via the relay to power the second 5V supply.

5. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Doh! So 'COM' would be neutral, 'CK' live in, and 'CB' live out on the control board?

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  6. Arkless Electronics

NO!!

Only one wire from the mains is switched. You will have to check it with a multimeter but it appears to have single pole changeover contacts, allowing normally on or normally off.

So, live to relay then out again to load. Neutral connects straight to load and is not connected to the board.

7. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

I had assumed the ‘COM’ terminal was just a common terminal and not connected to anything so neutral in and out wires would be connected to it? I’ll order one and check it before I connect anything up.

8. Arkless Electronics

NO!!

Do it as I say above or it will go bang spectacularly.

9. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Don’t panic, I’ll check it before I blow anything up. I’ll let you know how it goes and post a pic of the flames should it all go wrong!

Zombie likes this.