advertisement

Power dip on Friday 9th August

Derek Wright

pfm Member
Accordng to the news millions of peopple went without power fot 30 minutes on Frday afternoon about 5pm.

Some people had their travel disrupted

Any pfmers so afflicted?

Accordng to the news millions of peopple went without power fot 30 minutes on Frday afternoon about 5pm.

Some people had their travel disrupted

Any pfmers so afflicted?

Nope. Mrs H dug out the candles we bought about 20 years ago in readiness, but, although there were some outages (or 'outrages' as one BBC newsperson said) nearby, our lights stayed resolutely on.

We were diving from daughter#2’s place just off Clapham Common round the South Circular towards the A3. We noticed that the traffics lights in the Clapham Junction area were out and a lot of security alarms were going off, but by the time we got to Wandsworth all was OK. (Apologies to any Londoners if we’ve got the districts wrong!).

Our initial thoughts were that a substation must have gone down, so we texted the daughter but she still had power.

Kudos to all the drivers in the area though, everyone seemed to be very courteous and patient, taking turns to cross the junctions with dead lights and there was little disruption to the traffic flow.

I was in a virtual meeting and a few attendees vanished. It reminded me of Battlestar Galactica when the Cylons start bombing Caprica and the news feeds turn to hash.

Some time back I was in one of those. One of the attendees vanished, then this ghostly voice boomed out 'Matthew can see you', which was spookily reminiscent of RE lessons at school.

Someone on the Today programme suggested this was possibly down to an over-reliance on wind power. Like so much else in modern life, I couldn't help thinking.

Yes, parts of the Wirral where we were trying to do our food shopping but not our house, 15 minutes drive away.

Merseyrail Wirral line went off for 90 minutes and most parts of New Brighton were affected

Had a few cuts in N E Essex but only a minute at a time; with all the wind and sun our turbines and solar panels are flat out.

Boiling water in the bath over the last few days.

Our house went off for about 10 minutes. We often get short outages (albeit usually in the night) so it wasn't anything I thought about till I saw the news later...

Euston was fine, Kings Cross was bedlam.

A couple of generators went offline within minutes of each other. Grid frequency went down, load was shed to allow it back up until alternative generators could compensate. It all worked as grid protection should. However questions are now going to be asked because the new Thameslink trains couldn't cold boot or cope with the change, and blocked all the lines. It also looked like the disconnections were somewhat random, but didn't take into account the needs of a country at 5pm on a Friday keeping transport infrastructure intact. I'd really like to know more about the theory behind it all.

It all worked as grid protection should. However questions are now going to be asked because the new Thameslink trains couldn't cold boot or cope with the change, and blocked all the lines.
They probably decided that power-up would be a good moment to install a major Windows update...

Reactions: MJS
British telcos don't use UPS at base stations anymore as the UK grid is "reliable"
This works well when the emergency services want to use EE 4G in place of the current TETRA (Which has big UPS)

advertisement

Back