advertisement

power conditioners - niagara and PSM

MarkieW

pfm Member
Hi all,

Just thought I would post my experience with these as a data point or two for the community. I have been steadily adding bits and pieces to my system over the last few years, and at some point, I had read about power conditioning. I had a few chats with people and the message I was getting was it made a positive difference.

I decided to have a go and took the plunge with a secondhand Audioquest Niagara 1000. My thinking was if I didnt like it, I could fairly easily sell it on without too much of a hit. One Ebay transaction later a good condition 1000 turns up on my doorstep and I duly plug it in. The one other advantage of secondhand kit is generally it has already been run in and you are hearing it as it will continue to sound.

So what was the result of the experiment? I liked it! I felt I could hear more detail, and the sound overall had improved.

(OPTIONAL READING PART: At this point, an important administrative note. This is what happened in my system in my house. Changing power stuff could well be different in your set up because the quality of the power in your house is probably different to that in mine and also different to other people who have opinions on the subject. If you have brilliant power quality supply and recently installed ring mains, chances are you will have a different experience to someone in a Victorian house at the furthest point from the substation. People need to remember these other variables! Secondly, I reject around 50% of new hifi kit I try out. Didnt like the Audioquest Coffee USB, didnt like the Innuos Zenith Mk2 etc etc. I post this because people often claim confirmation bias, personally I just ask myself do I like this more? If its the same, maybe slightly different, I dont bother, if its better, I buy it.)

With that out the way, back to the hifi! I was very happy with the 1000 and ran it for a good 6 months or so. Until the upgrade bug attacked me! I happened to see a Niagara 3000 come up second hand. Reading reviews it seemed it was a better product. There were technical differences, a power reservoir type system that supposedly can deliver high current almost instantaneously to help deliver powerful punchy transients that the 1000 lacked. What to do? Silly question, I bought it!

Was it better than the 1000? Yes it was! Better clarity and detail most noticeable to me, maybe slightly better bass, but not really stand out. Anyway, it was a step up, and happy once again as my system matured with better power. Fast forward about another 9 months. Whats this itchy scratchy nagging feeling I have? Oh, its upgraditis again!

The trouble was, I still noticed differences in sound quality from day time to evening, and from week day to weekend, in my mind, this is a classic symptom of power quality variation still getting through my system. Others might disagree but that was my thought process any way. I saw a Niagara 5000 secondhand, but now we are talking £3600+ even used. This is getting serious, Im not going to take a punt on that without a demo first!

Except its hard to find one to get a demo of. Reading around how other people had tackled the problem, I starting reading about another product, the PSM 136/156 family from Puritan audio. Didn't know much about them, although seeing lots great reviews on their cheap but effective power cables (whole other story right there - staying on topic!). Anyway, I saw a 156 second hand one again for £1000 which was actually less than what I paid for the Niagara 3000. One reviewer rated the 156 as better than the 5000. Well if it was equivalent, it still would have been a step up and at a £2.5K saving.

So today I picked it up and and have just plugged it in (A job in itself with all the cable dressing!). Although second hand, it had not really been used at all, and hence still is burning in. However, I can tell straight away the difference compared to the 3000. ITS A BIG LEAP FORWARD!!!!! This thing is brilliant! A true hifi bargain. The music is just popping out of the speakers and jumping around the room, there is so much life. Bass is punchier and taughter. Detail and clarity are improved without harshness or loss of tonal balance. This thing is GREAT!!! Cant believe it. Only downside is it has 6 sockets rather than 7, but stuff it, I'll get another one and plug in the TV to it as well.

Do yourself a favour and audition one. You may not like it, but I bet you will. (I have no affiliation with any manufacturer or retailer - its just a great product) The Stereo Times rated it a most wanted product of the decade, I can see why.

Nice. May I ask what power cords do you use to connect the PSM156 to the wall outlet, and the cords from PSM156 to components.

I presume there is a lack of wall outlet hence the use of a power distributor or conditioner? I am actually interested on the comparison or difference between the PSM156 and a direct connection of components to the wall outlets.

Must admit so far not a fan of mains filtration, tried a few alternatives. Avoid Russ andrews like plague, rarely heard any kit or wires that kill music like RA does,I had a kemp transformer coupled outlet that was useful when I lived in city, and have several upgraded power supplies. Generally I prefer my mains Undoctored using quality cords and connectors (Tara labs,kondo,Oyaide,gigawatt) but the puritan looks interesting if only because it’s reasonably priced (though that’s probably a matter of opinion) and it’s uk made.
If I still lived in city centre I think urge would be greater, I will prob try to get a loaner, no point in having a opinion if you don’t test it out.
I’ve tried several audioquest cables and found the house sound not to my taste, rather brittle upper mids and on cinnamon range a forward aggressive lower mid bass. Had near top of range audioquest ethernet cable that was unlistenable, forward, lumpy, ruined music. Funnily enuf my conclusion mirrored several reviews.

The PSM 156 seems to have quite "light weight" components inside it?

It reminds me of the Tacima power strips on sale for less than £37

The true test... will we be seeing your Niagara 3000 up for sale soon?

Yep, but not until I have got another PSM, the only downside is that the 3000 has 7 outlets, the PSM has 6. So currently 1 piece of equipment is going through the 3000 at the moment....

Nice. May I ask what power cords do you use to connect the PSM156 to the wall outlet, and the cords from PSM156 to components.

I presume there is a lack of wall outlet hence the use of a power distributor or conditioner? I am actually interested on the comparison or difference between the PSM156 and a direct connection of components to the wall outlets.
The unit comes with one of Puritans own cables (Audioquest do not supply the 3000 with any cable) that plugs into the wall. As for PSM to equipment, its a mixture of AQ Thunder, Blizzard, Atlas EOS, etc. AS for my reasoning, as per the above write up, I do have some wall sockets, but its more about sound quality and removing noise from the mains. I think the resason people see variable results depends on the quality of their mains in the first place

Must admit so far not a fan of mains filtration, tried a few alternatives. Avoid Russ andrews like plague, rarely heard any kit or wires that kill music like RA does,I had a kemp transformer coupled outlet that was useful when I lived in city, and have several upgraded power supplies. Generally I prefer my mains Undoctored using quality cords and connectors (Tara labs,kondo,Oyaide,gigawatt) but the puritan looks interesting if only because it’s reasonably priced (though that’s probably a matter of opinion) and it’s uk made.
If I still lived in city centre I think urge would be greater, I will prob try to get a loaner, no point in having a opinion if you don’t test it out.
I’ve tried several audioquest cables and found the house sound not to my taste, rather brittle upper mids and on cinnamon range a forward aggressive lower mid bass. Had near top of range audioquest ethernet cable that was unlistenable, forward, lumpy, ruined music. Funnily enuf my conclusion mirrored several reviews.
Yeah absolutely, somehow get a demo in your home, as your house mains will be different to a shops supply. Theory on hifi is cheap, but the rubber hits the road in the listening room!

The PSM 156 seems to have quite "light weight" components inside it?

It reminds me of the Tacima power strips on sale for less than £37
Personally I dont care about the technical aspects too much, I want to know what it sounds like. I recommend you find one to listen to then make up your mind. Same for SR fuses. Same for power cables. Its easy to have an opinion without any experience, a trap too many hifi buffs fall into unfortunately. Thankfully PFM is pretty good, but other sites I have seen are terrible for this, pages of arguments by people who have never heard the product....

To repeat though, this thing sounds great!
puritan-psm156.jpg

Personally I dont care about the technical aspects too much, I want to know what it sounds like. I recommend you find one to listen to then make up your mind. Same for SR fuses. Same for power cables. Its easy to have an opinion without any experience, a trap too many hifi buffs fall into unfortunately. Thankfully PFM is pretty good, but other sites I have seen are terrible for this, pages of arguments by people who have never heard the product....

To repeat though, this thing sounds great!
puritan-psm156.jpg
How heavy is it their site doesn’t list, does it stay put with a half dozen chunky cables plugged in?

How heavy is it their site doesn’t list, does it stay put with a half dozen chunky cables plugged in?
Hmmm, good question, not as bad as the 3000, but not light either, maybe 5-6kg? Oh it the cables dont effect the stability either, its sits fine without movement

Last edited:
This looks like a well made filter.

I use three Exact Power EP-15 sub cycle regulators that makes your wall power into a proper sine wave. However, they are finicky and require specific small caps replaced every 3-5 years.

Once they go again, I may replace them with similar filters.

This looks like a well made filter.

I use three Exact Power EP-15 sub cycle regulators that makes your wall power into a proper sine wave. However, they are finicky and require specific small caps replaced every 3-5 years.

Once they go again, I may replace them with similar filters.

Seems they are similar in price, but servicing every few years would put me off. Have a listen to one of these if you get the chance. I am completely converted

As someone who knows nothing about all this what might be the difference between a power conditioner and a dedicated mains supply in terms of what effect it might have on the sound?
I guess the idea of a clean supply /dedicated mains is to remove potential noise from other electrical equipment, and doesn't a power conditioner do the same thing?
Sorry if this is a very basic question, and if anyone replies please keep it suitably simple!

As someone who knows nothing about all this what might be the difference between a power conditioner and a dedicated mains supply in terms of what effect it might have on the sound?
I guess the idea of a clean supply /dedicated mains is to remove potential noise from other electrical equipment, and doesn't a power conditioner do the same thing?
Sorry if this is a very basic question, and if anyone replies please keep it suitably simple!

Yes and maybe! The aim is indeed clean power. A dedicated mains supply will indeed be better (ie cleaner power) than a normal ring main, but also can still be improved on using a conditioner. Will a conditioner's output on a normal household ring be worse than a conditioner on a dedicated circuit? Dont know, but I would guess the difference wouldnt really be audible, but have no evidence for that. All I can say is the PSM156 is brilliant in cleaning a normal ring and the sound you get is wonderful. A real no brainer job.

Maybe your question is better phrased as whether a dedicated circuit or a conditioner is the way to go. Again I only have a gut feeling on this, my feeling is a normal circuit and a conditioner is probably better than a dedicated circuit with no conditioning, but again it will depend on the quality of your houses electrical supply, are you miles from your substation, how old is the wiring to your house etc etc. You cant change those factors and so a dedicated circuit might be underwhelming if those are in fact a bit poorer quality

Yes and maybe! The aim is indeed clean power. A dedicated mains supply will indeed be better (ie cleaner power) than a normal ring main, but also can still be improved on using a conditioner. Will a conditioner's output on a normal household ring be worse than a conditioner on a dedicated circuit? Dont know, but I would guess the difference wouldnt really be audible, but have no evidence for that. All I can say is the PSM156 is brilliant in cleaning a normal ring and the sound you get is wonderful. A real no brainer job.

Maybe your question is better phrased as whether a dedicated circuit or a conditioner is the way to go. Again I only have a gut feeling on this, my feeling is a normal circuit and a conditioner is probably better than a dedicated circuit with no conditioning, but again it will depend on the quality of your houses electrical supply, are you miles from your substation, how old is the wiring to your house etc etc. You cant change those factors and so a dedicated circuit might be underwhelming if those are in fact a bit poorer quality
Thanks MarkieW.
I'll see if I can find one to try at home soon, once I've get the decorating etc done..

Hi all,

Just thought I would post my experience with these as a data point or two for the community. I have been steadily adding bits and pieces to my system over the last few years, and at some point, I had read about power conditioning. I had a few chats with people and the message I was getting was it made a positive difference.

I decided to have a go and took the plunge with a secondhand Audioquest Niagara 1000. My thinking was if I didnt like it, I could fairly easily sell it on without too much of a hit. One Ebay transaction later a good condition 1000 turns up on my doorstep and I duly plug it in. The one other advantage of secondhand kit is generally it has already been run in and you are hearing it as it will continue to sound.

So what was the result of the experiment? I liked it! I felt I could hear more detail, and the sound overall had improved.

(OPTIONAL READING PART: At this point, an important administrative note. This is what happened in my system in my house. Changing power stuff could well be different in your set up because the quality of the power in your house is probably different to that in mine and also different to other people who have opinions on the subject. If you have brilliant power quality supply and recently installed ring mains, chances are you will have a different experience to someone in a Victorian house at the furthest point from the substation. People need to remember these other variables! Secondly, I reject around 50% of new hifi kit I try out. Didnt like the Audioquest Coffee USB, didnt like the Innuos Zenith Mk2 etc etc. I post this because people often claim confirmation bias, personally I just ask myself do I like this more? If its the same, maybe slightly different, I dont bother, if its better, I buy it.)

With that out the way, back to the hifi! I was very happy with the 1000 and ran it for a good 6 months or so. Until the upgrade bug attacked me! I happened to see a Niagara 3000 come up second hand. Reading reviews it seemed it was a better product. There were technical differences, a power reservoir type system that supposedly can deliver high current almost instantaneously to help deliver powerful punchy transients that the 1000 lacked. What to do? Silly question, I bought it!

Was it better than the 1000? Yes it was! Better clarity and detail most noticeable to me, maybe slightly better bass, but not really stand out. Anyway, it was a step up, and happy once again as my system matured with better power. Fast forward about another 9 months. Whats this itchy scratchy nagging feeling I have? Oh, its upgraditis again!

The trouble was, I still noticed differences in sound quality from day time to evening, and from week day to weekend, in my mind, this is a classic symptom of power quality variation still getting through my system. Others might disagree but that was my thought process any way. I saw a Niagara 5000 secondhand, but now we are talking £3600+ even used. This is getting serious, Im not going to take a punt on that without a demo first!

Except its hard to find one to get a demo of. Reading around how other people had tackled the problem, I starting reading about another product, the PSM 136/156 family from Puritan audio. Didn't know much about them, although seeing lots great reviews on their cheap but effective power cables (whole other story right there - staying on topic!). Anyway, I saw a 156 second hand one again for £1000 which was actually less than what I paid for the Niagara 3000. One reviewer rated the 156 as better than the 5000. Well if it was equivalent, it still would have been a step up and at a £2.5K saving.

So today I picked it up and and have just plugged it in (A job in itself with all the cable dressing!). Although second hand, it had not really been used at all, and hence still is burning in. However, I can tell straight away the difference compared to the 3000. ITS A BIG LEAP FORWARD!!!!! This thing is brilliant! A true hifi bargain. The music is just popping out of the speakers and jumping around the room, there is so much life. Bass is punchier and taughter. Detail and clarity are improved without harshness or loss of tonal balance. This thing is GREAT!!! Cant believe it. Only downside is it has 6 sockets rather than 7, but stuff it, I'll get another one and plug in the TV to it as well.

Do yourself a favour and audition one. You may not like it, but I bet you will. (I have no affiliation with any manufacturer or retailer - its just a great product) The Stereo Times rated it a most wanted product of the decade, I can see why.

Great post! I have been looking at which power conditioner to upgrade to for years, after doing a few other upgrades which I feel are higher on the importance list as far as bang for the buck. This is just one of dozens of posts I have read over the past few weeks making me lean to towards this Puritan unit.
Here is another great thread touting the PSM 156 (and 136) for additional data, which I find much more influencing than reviews from people who get paid to write reviews. (hopefully it is okay to post a link to another forum, but I posted a link there to this thread here.)

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=173793.0

advertisement

Back