advertisement

Power amps...Rotel Michi or Antique Krell

Reviews all seem to prefer the MK2 to MK1. The 80 - which wasn't fan-cooled, was the next generation.

Power amps to me are all about quality. Unfortunately that costs.

Try and work out how much the Krell would be today v the new cost of the Michi.

I'm using a 20+ year old power amp which cost £2k new and I think for replacement I would need to be looking at £6-8k category. Amps I've tried in the £2-4k category weren't close.

The ksa 50, 100 and 200 mk 1 were all class A full power, all that followed was a variant on sliding bias, ksa80 included.

About 6 weeks ago or so I had a ksa250 here to play with. Initially I thought Wow! I want me one of these but after a couple of hours I was struggling. Yes it ran and gripped my ML Summits but it was too in yer face. Also compared to my Nord NC500MBs (which pretty much matched it for drive, punch, dynamics & detail) the sound sort of fell apart for me at lower volumes, whereas the Nords still sounded sweet, nuanced, tight & punchy.

IIRC the KSA200 was later than the 50 and 100 and came out as one of the new series which consisted of the KSA80, KMA160, KSA200 and KMA400 which were basically the same but with increasingly large PSU's heatsinks and quantities of output devices. Hence the modular arrangement of the heatsink/output boards, driver boards etc.

Right, listen: you lot aren't getting it. Most of your answers are very wide of the mark. Let me help you with some examples of the type of response I was looking for.
"...... Waste of money Darren."
"those old Krells are crap!"
"..... All of the major parts for those Krells are unobtainium now"
" Don't touch it Darren! Those old Krells are full of asbestos!"Can we please try again?

OK Darren, as you asked.
Ignore all these sycophants and change both amps and speakers for ATC 100 Actives. good for a lifetime, by a sound engineering company! @cooky 1257 has recently posted his 'conversion' on ATC SM75 in DIY, and is mightily pleased.
You know it makes sense:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back