advertisement

Power amps...Rotel Michi or Antique Krell

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
Im looking to upgrade my power amp due to audiophile equipment lust. I'm currently using a Yamaha pro amp into magneplanars.
Ive seen a serviced Krell KSA100 that I want badly because I've always wanted one. A little concerned about this because of its age and parts availability in the future, though the seller has spare output devices for it etc.
The other option is a Rotel Michi RBH10 which I guess would be a more sensible modern option.
I know that that chances of anyone having heard these things side by side are slim.... but I would love to read about your experience with either.
Has the Krell been left behind?
All experience valued - Thanks.

The advancement of analogue audio technology moves at snail pace. If an amp was state of the art in 40 years ago it will still be pretty much as good as it gets today. I would think the Krell is perfectly repairable but @Arkless Electronics would be the man to ask.

The KSA50 I have hasn’t been left behind at all. However, if you do buy the KSA100, budget for a full rebuild, given the age. Mine needed the output stages doing (about £300) and the work was done by the engineer that Doug Brady’s use. I think the Absolute Sounds agent will cost a lot more. They’re very fine amps.

Krell amps are state of the art and very good sounding so I wouldn’t hesitate if budget for buying AND servicing allows.
Their CD players are to stay away from because of reliability problems.

True, but they're basic workhorses compared to today's ic controlled boxes and eminently serviceable, only the psu caps are costly unless you're looking for genuine matched sets of driver board transistors.

What Maggies are you using Darren ?

I have 1.7 i's and I have never had a speaker that I just can't fault.Yeah the bass rolls off a bit but what bass you do have,has so much detail and texture.

Good luck with your amp lust...give in....Krell sounds the biz though.

Right, listen: you lot aren't getting it. Most of your answers are very wide of the mark. Let me help you with some examples of the type of response I was looking for.
"...... Waste of money Darren."
"those old Krells are crap!"
"..... All of the major parts for those Krells are unobtainium now"
" Don't touch it Darren! Those old Krells are full of asbestos!"
Can we please try again?

My FIL used Krell for a while. He said it was the best he’d had but he was concerned about the impact on his bills so he moved it along.

My FIL used Krell for a while. He said it was the best he’d had but he was concerned about the impact on his bills so he moved it along.
Id love to have the time to run my hifi for that to be a thing Del. Sadly, I'm not greatly concerned at present when I'm working seven days per week.

What Maggies are you using Darren ?

I have 1.7 i's and I have never had a speaker that I just can't fault.Yeah the bass rolls off a bit but what bass you do have,has so much detail and texture.

Good luck with your amp lust...give in....Krell sounds the biz though.
I'd love 1.7s like yours MA. My are 0.6 but with lovely solid Oak trim. I have a pair of REL filling in the bass - cant recommend that combination enough.

I haven’t heard either but the Michi stuff is getting great reviews. If I were shopping solid state separates, they’d be on my list.

(currently have a Rotel power amp and CD player in a second system and like them both)

Have been thinking of a class A stereo chassis power amp,. to replace 2 x 100 watt valve amps. Usually I get an itch for Sugden, but Krell and 1 or 2 other older ones tickle my fancy. Not sure what power my Quad 2905 ESLs need (Sugden has 30 or 40 watts) but I think Maggies are more demanding.

Can we please try again?

Not one note of dissuasion above, Darren, so it looks like a lost cause; bite the juice-guzzling bullet if it's a good and reliable purchase. Then we can all hear how it transforms your system and feel a bit smug (and probably a little envious?) :)

If you want to drive them you really need an amp that doubles down all the way to 1 ohm loads. Only a handful of amps do that and all usually big chassis amps with huge power supplies and multiple output devices. Of those that suffice the ksa100s are hard to beat on price, quality and never ending service life.

Former ksa200 owner.

If you want to drive them you really need an amp that doubles down all the way to 1 ohm loads. Only a handful of amps do that and all usually big chassis amps with huge power supplies and multiple output devices. Of those that suffice the ksa100s are hard to beat on price, quality and never ending service life.

Former ksa200 owner.

Nah they're 4R and a relatively average load. Just not very efficient.

Former ksa200 owner.

1ohm is easy try stable into 0.3ohm loads with no output protection circuits
kilowatts of power , vast current & voltage swings , run them flat out all day and they run stone cold

Sanders Sound Systems Magtech Power Amplifier - Hi-Fi+ (hifiplus.com)

Don't know your speakers, but I had a KSA100 mk2. Thought it was over-bright in the treble, hard, and unrelenting. Bass fast but somehow sterile. Fan noise was a pain. Was relieved to sell it on. OTOH enjoyed a brief experience with KSA80 ... much better IMHO.

Don't know your speakers, but I had a KSA100 mk2. Thought it was over-bright in the treble, hard, and unrelenting. Bass fast but somehow sterile. Fan noise was a pain. Was relieved to sell it on. OTOH enjoyed a brief experience with KSA80 ... much better IMHO.
Pretty much had the same conclusion when I borrowed one of these from Lintone Audio. I was struggling to replace a great sounding but unreliable ARC D76 at the time. As I hauled the beast away his parting words were "if you dont like this then there's no hope", but I hated it - impressive at first but after a while i just wanted to turn it off...

advertisement

Back