advertisement

Power Amp ideas

Amber Audio

This is the Day
Mulling over what amps to get, just before lockdown I sold my Quad QMP Monos and haven't replaced them. I wasn't really that taken with them, sound was less crisp for want of a better description, had expected they would hang around in the system a lot longer. Speakers are Martin Logan ESL11a which will likely end up being swapped for 15a, Blade 2 or big Maggies late this/early next year, ideally I'll demo/buy amps+speakers same time.

Just after some ideas on what to shortlist for demo/read up reviews of. Prefer Monoblocks, room for now is normal size living room. Mostly mainstream rock/pop/electronica from 70's to current, no classical and limited Jazz.

Thanks

Gus

I'd be looking at some big American tranny amp in this case, or similar. I'd only use monos if I wanted to put them directly behind the speakers, otherwise you are doubling up on all the expensive components when you could be spending that on the electronics.

Monos was for siting flexibility, if we move or I shift the room round I'd be looking at long XLR's and amps next to each speaker. Bearing that in mind I should have said XLR sockets are needed.

There's a USA guy makes amps supposedly designed for statics but I've never heard them, seen in the flesh or seen any posts about them on pfm - always think of KFC chicken - Sanders Amps

Gus, nice pair of Ayre mono’s at that Leven place. Satin black would go nice with the digital stack. Also a Boulder for a mad price:)
Either should drive anything you can contemplate including the maggies which need a bit of welly.

No classical or jazz? Change it will.

Once I get released, likely closer to Xmas, we’re planning a few days down Edi and could swing by Fife, if I drop your name will I get better or worse service :)

It really depends on your final speaker choice, as the Martin Logans use class D power amps to drive the bass, so the actual power amp doesn't have to be an enormous welding machine that some will lead you to believe. I Have the earlier Summits and have modified them so I drive the bass, via DSP, direct from my DAC, and the panels are driven by a Radford STA25, and they can achieve ear splitting levels with no stress at all.
If budget isn't too much of an issue I'd be looking at EAR590 which would also power Maggies I suspect. The main issue is finding things that can cope with the impedance of the panels - the Naim 250 I had sounded ok, but kept shutting down when things got loud. EAR890 fixed that. I tried some class D amps - worked, but wasn't sure I liked the 'etched' sound. Found a Radford, and it is sublime. I won't be getting another power amp.

You might try the PS Audio M700 or M1200 monoblocks. I had the M700s and I think they're very good; only reason I didn't keep them is that a different amp fit the system better (and then found my "end" amps - Expo 3010S2 monos). The PS Audio amps seem to be used a LOT with Maggies and Martin-Logans.

great suggestion and if you want to save money , the ghent audio monoblocks with icepower asx50 are pretty damm good too

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/asx-series/

GJiIJDQh by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

Mzhgb23h by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

I use these with my tannoys and they are very engaging , having had amps worth many thousands with these tannoys over the past 2 years i can safely say the icepowere punch well above their weight

It really depends on your final speaker choice, as the Martin Logans use class D power amps to drive the bass, so the actual power amp doesn't have to be an enormous welding machine that some will lead you to believe. I Have the earlier Summits and have modified them so I drive the bass, via DSP, direct from my DAC, and the panels are driven by a Radford STA25, and they can achieve ear splitting levels with no stress at all.
If budget isn't too much of an issue I'd be looking at EAR590 which would also power Maggies I suspect. The main issue is finding things that can cope with the impedance of the panels - the Naim 250 I had sounded ok, but kept shutting down when things got loud. EAR890 fixed that. I tried some class D amps - worked, but wasn't sure I liked the 'etched' sound. Found a Radford, and it is sublime. I won't be getting another power amp.
Thanks, I've seen EAR mentioned a fair bit will investigate. I had similar shut down issues with Naim until I got a 300, I traded for a 500 expecting a 300 on steroids but it was a disappointing move, all the Naim is now gone. Running Lyngdorf at the minute.

Bryston amps pair well with Maggie's so I am told.
A long time ago to be fair but when we had a demo of Bryston it kinda fell flat with us, was with box speakers not panels though.

Best Maggies I've heard were with some seriously breathed on Sumo Amps in an Aberdeen HiFi shop firing down a long room.

You might try the PS Audio M700 or M1200 monoblocks. I had the M700s and I think they're very good; only reason I didn't keep them is that a different amp fit the system better (and then found my "end" amps - Expo 3010S2 monos). The PS Audio amps seem to be used a LOT with Maggies and Martin-Logans.
I was actually looking at the Exposure 5010 Monos last night, will have a look at PS - always associate them with mains conditioning not amps.

great suggestion and if you want to save money , the ghent audio monoblocks with icepower asx50 are pretty damm good too

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/asx-series/

GJiIJDQh by , on Flickr

Mzhgb23h by , on Flickr

I use these with my tannoys and they are very engaging , having had amps worth many thousands with these tannoys over the past 2 years i can safely say the icepowere punch well above their weight
New one on me, anything like/to do with Nord stuff? I had a look at the Nord site after an amp appeared in pfm classifieds but it's as confusing a f==k, a dozen variations and modules and options, some seem to be after you ping the bloke.

ICEPower = B&O same as NAD use?

New one on me, anything like/to do with Nord stuff? I had a look at the Nord site after an amp appeared in pfm classifieds but it's as confusing a f==k, a dozen variations and modules and options, some seem to be after you ping the bloke.

ICEPower = B&O same as NAD use?
Yes it's a common complaint that the nord site is too complex !! Takes quite a bit to understand. Ice power was originally b@o but not anymore . The ones I mentioned are nothing to do with nord and are very cost effective . The monoblocks power button feels quite solid and sound surprisingly good

Central Audio have a pair of Michell Alecto monos, John Michell used Quad ESL63 as his reference speaker. I heard the stereo Alecto with a pair of Innersound Isis hybrid speakers, a bit like ML, a tall speaker with an electrostatic panel for the highs and mid frequencies and a 10" woofer for bass. Sounded excellent, unfortunate name nowadays.
Might be an avenue worth trying as I would of thought they may work well with your ML's, and they're serviceable and upgradeable through Trichord.

Thanks Bob, been speaking to someone about the M700’s, likely gonna get a home demo

Central Audio have a pair of Michell Alecto monos, John Michell used Quad ESL63 as his reference speaker. I heard the stereo Alecto with a pair of Innersound Isis hybrid speakers, a bit like ML, a tall speaker with an electrostatic panel for the highs and mid frequencies and a 10" woofer for bass. Sounded excellent, unfortunate name nowadays.
Might be an avenue worth trying as I would of thought they may work well with your ML's, and they're serviceable and upgradeable through Trichord.
Thanks for the pointer, knowing me I’d have them away to get upgraded to Mk2 in days, think I’ll pursue a newer option. I’ve heard them but so long ago can’t recall the speakers, certainly not panels though.

Thanks Bob, been speaking to someone about the M700’s, likely gonna get a home demo

I wrote up some of my impressions in the power amp comparison thread. For what it’s worth, I thought they were very good and would have kept them if the Belles 350A Reference hadn’t shown up (displaced in turn by the Expos).

i’d be interested in seeing your thoughts on the 5010 monos if you try them.

advertisement

Back