advertisement

Power amp for kef 104.2's..

steveinspain

pfm Member
I've now got my kefs back together - new tweeters, new crossover capacitors etc and have had them in place for a week without objection from my wife, so they may be allowed to stay..
I'm currently using one of the new Sonos amps to drive them, but the bug has got me, and I'm wondering what I'm missing.
So, what might another amp add - I was looking at an Avondale zap 250 that was for sale on here as I used to have one years ago and a quad 606 was suggested - any others I should add to the list?
I have my eye on a Yamaha wxc streamer/pre as its cheap, seems to be well thought of and I can get an ex demo one. It is also small, which matters.
The amp will be hidden away behind others boxes (dvd player etc) so looks are not important.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi Steve,

My QSP seems to drive my Kef ref 2's nicely so a 606 should be a fine choice.

Just out of interest did replacing the caps lift the top end? Mine sound a bit veiled compared to modern speakers ..not sure if this is a cap issue or just change in fashion and technology.

Hi Steve,

My QSP seems to drive my Kef ref 2's nicely so a 606 should be a fine choice.

Just out of interest did replacing the caps lift the top end? Mine sound a bit veiled compared to modern speakers ..not sure if this is a cap issue or just change in fashion and technology.
Thanks Mr Moppit.
I know nothing about quad amps but will look at QSP's.
As for the caps - I only heard my kefs running for about 2 minutes before I dismantled them to discover that there was one original tweeter and one Morel replacement and I only had an Arcam alpha 5 amp to drive them, so can't really say how they sounded.
Wilmslow Audio did the work and from what Neil there said I am likely to be still in the break-in stage but already I am hearing fairly large improvements - even my wife sat listening for an hour last night which is most unusual.

advertisement

Back