advertisement

Potholes everywhere

Someone suggested to me that in France the services tend to run beside, rather than below the road so avoiding the points of weakness created by digging up the road. I have no idea whether this is a factor. Even in mountainous areas with severe winters we manage to almost always have good smooth roads to cycle on.

Yeah the Romans taught them to do the roads properly ;)

Well, the Romans did that for us too.

Of the four roads that lead into and out of our village two are terrible because the L.A (Bucks, BTW, not poor I don't think) just patches and mends. One of the others was fully resurfaced last year and is a joy to drive on. The last one was 'put right' by East West rail because their trucks churned it up so badly and they 'wanted to give back to the community'. This last road currently has a temporary speed limit on it for reasons - skid risk, apparently. How difficult is it to resurface a road properly? Incidentally the same road where E-W Rail didn't drive, and didn't resurface, has now subsided on one corner so that there's a massive ridge and about an 8" drop.

The road outside our house had a water leak last year that caused a massive uneven area. For 8 months Anglian Water came out, pointed at it, and went away again. Finally they agreed it was their water pipes doing the damage and dug up a patch. When they in-filled their hole after fixing the pipe they just fixed that area and not the area of damage caused by their leak. Grrr. Just how bad do things have to get before we stop tutting and actually start doing something about it. I can't report the damage because it has already been reported :rolleyes:

The (w)hole (!) thing's a scam since privatisation. Here in Herefordshire, since Balfour Beatty (Living Solutions ! ) has taken over, the "solution" has been willful neglect followed by complete road renewal once the road is completely undriveable. The new surface seems lovely for a couple of years or so, but then quickly falls apart, thanks to the poor materials used and poor implementation. Centre road joints fail, leading to break up.
If, after a couple of years the new surface were top dressed with chippings, it'd go on for years, but that's not done, so after 5 or 6 years, the surface is already failing. It must be a good business if you can get it .
It would be cheaper properly to repair and chip as used to be the case, but that's not how private companies make their money. Roads round here rechipped in the 90s are still mostly ok, but roads redone using modern repaving methods since the noughties are completely shot. It may be cheaper to do that way, but they don't last, and local authorities, cash strapped, are being scammed.
The only piece of good news is that Herefordshire seems to be set to terminate it's contract with Balfour Beatty Living Solutions.

What a stupid name. Sums everything up ☹️

advertisement

Back