Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

Discussion in 'off topic' started by notaclue, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Smart lady you have there. This reminds me of my first car, useless heater in the winter but useful in the summer to help cool the engine. We of course cooked in the summer and froze in the winter.

2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

But I do not drive a Porsche! (btw I would love a 911 - but the minister of the interior would not countenance it. A 911 owning friend is arranging insurance for me to borrow his for a day later in the summer so I can get a fix)

Anyway - it is still lovely and cool in my work-from-home basement office (half of which is lounge #3). Chilled.

gintonic likes this.
  3. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

It's mid July. In what universe is that "late summer"?

Richard Lines likes this.
  4. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I wasn't referring to Astronomical or Meteorological Summer. What I meant was it's been unseasonably cool until now and summer, in the form of some decent warm sunny weather, seemed like it was never coming, and now it's here I'm enjoying it, even though it's a bit late. I'm off for another swim in a mo :)

nmtjb likes this.
  5. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

This is not "a bit of decent weather".

Cobra meeting today. BBC now predicting 37 for two days in London. In full sun in central London, this could translate into 40+.

This is dangerous levels of heat for the UK. We will likely see a minor collapse of services, as trains, buses, lorries struggle to run. Staff and deliveries may not get to shops.

sideshowbob and Snufkin like this.
  6. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

dont forget beer running out, and the gin fountain drying up

7. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

gintonic likes this.
  8. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

OK, I'll get the fan out.

nmtjb likes this.
  9. gintonic

10. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

The last time I was in Luxor it was 40+ everyday and everything was functioning normally. :rolleyes:

11. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Do you really think it'll take another 50 years to reach 40C in the UK?:
    [​IMG]

I'll just leave that there...

12. gintonic

yes last time I was working in Kuwait City is was high 40s and everything worked.

But more northern locations are not designed to function in those climates. Our houses are built to keep the heat in.......

so I don't know why you are rolling eyes :rolleyes:

kensalriser likes this.
  13. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

Because it's over-dramatised as is always the case in the UK. It's a couple of hot days along the same temperatures as the summer of 1976 when my dad's car continued to work, as indeed did he. My Raleigh Chopper also continued to work. Amazing!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Gingerbeard likes this.
  14. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

I was 9 in 1976 & from memory we had much more than a couple of days of high 90's heat. A few years ago we had 6 weeks of continuing high temps & in 2007 we hit 35 in my area for days on end. It was bloody awful but we have to grin & bear it, stay inside, shut your windows & curtains & drink water. Not much else you can do.

15. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Only 6 :eek:, some might think that a little OTT??

Regards

Richard

16. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard Ayup Me Duck

Tuesday hasn’t happened yet! :p If I’m proven to be wildly over optimistic, so be it.

I’m pretty sure the UK will have experienced 40c, it just hasn’t been recorded during our modern times and since climate data has been collected. After all, the planets been through many different cycles over the past 4 billion years so it stands to reason that it will have…

17. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

I was actually in the UK through that summer at college in South Shields and remember it well but 1976 doesn't feature in this list of the 5 highest temperatures in the UK:-

[​IMG]

That's 38.7°C hidden under the button, let's just keep pretending climate change/ global warming isn't a thing and that the fires being experienced across Europe are no worse than 1976 either and that way we can just keeping do more of the same thing and everything will be fine in the morning??

Asking for friend.

Regards

Richard

sideshowbob likes this.
  18. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Nope. The highest temperature recorded in 1976 was 35.9C in Cheltenham on July 3rd.

19. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

In '76 it was hot the whole summer. Our area (Manchester) was on standpipes to help save water.
    I remember it being great as we could play out every day without the typical Manchester weather spoiling the fun. :)

20. nmtjb

nmtjb pfm Member

Nobody should get too het up over this little ripple of warm weather. On or around the 23/24th July it’s all set to change. A series of deep, moisture laden depressions will bowl in from the Atlantic, canter across Cornwall to park for the waking hours over south Devon. These will then slowly move eastwards across the country. On, or around the 6/7th August these cold fronts will dissipate and normal summer weather will prevail.