advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

Fan set up in bedroom for tonight. It will be blowing over a pan full of ice cubes that I've been making all day. Can't open the bedroom window. The insect life on Breton farmland at night have to be seen to be believed.

In my place it was really comfortable because I can create a through draft right across the bedroom by leaving doors open and opening windows on both sides of the house. It's such a good means of night time air conditioning that I'd definitely seek it out in any other house I may buy to live in.

I am lucky - the basement office remains satisfyingly cool in even the very hottest weather. The kids bedrooms three floors up in the attics are a rather different matter. Before now we have had them moving down a floor to a lounge, sleeping on mats on the floor. Could happen again this weekend - although we have more fans now and a better way of managing airflow.

Our house is quite good in hot weather, apart from the top bedroom which, having not long emerged from ‘too cold to work in’ has now entered its ‘too hot to work in’ phase.

Slide1.jpeg

:(

Mate. Whatever you get paid, it's not enough...

In my place it was really comfortable because I can create a through draft right across the bedroom by leaving doors open and opening windows on both sides of the house. It's such a good means of night time air conditioning that I'd definitely seek it out in any other house I may buy to live in.
Houses here in Brittany have no doors or windows on the back.

I remember driving back from Southern France in 40°C. There were warnings on the displays and broken down cars everywhere. Our Honda Prelude was spluttering when we were slowing down in heavy traffic. Mrs K90Tour told me to turn the air-con off, and put the heating on full blast. Worked a treat as we pulled the hot air out of the engine bay, the engine became a lot happier. We cooked of course. Just drank water continuously.

Not good for the environment!

its great for my environment. I have to accept my car is never going to be good for the environment. We long decided that the impact of not bringing FOL into the world is offset by an environmentally unfriendly car.

I had a heat-related first this morning. For some reason traffic was appalling in my area and so my 20 minute journey to work took nearly an hour, largely sitting in a succession of queues.

Naturally, the car (open-top Marcos; Rover V8 engine) got a bit warm but I was rather surprised that the item I burned my finger on was the rear of the fascia on the oh-so 1990s Alpine stereo when i removed said fascia to take it with me!

How is it beefed up? I didn’t notice anything special or larger in the air con systems on any European or Japanese cars in Saudi back in the 90s. Some were better than others, same as elsewhere, but there’s not really the space under the bonnet of cars now to squeeze in bigger heat exchangers, larger compressors etc. Perhaps on locally made cars it’s a thing.
I see bigger radiator fans and maybe an oilcooler added.
My Mondeo was a disaster, overheating engine and all of the cooling hoses and thin tubes went brittle and snapped at around 5 years old.
I did check the age carefully.
Asian spec cars generally don't have sun roofs or soft tops. Why so many are black is a mystery.

Mrs K90Tour told me to turn the air-con off, and put the heating on full blast. Worked a treat as we pulled the hot air out of the engine bay, the engine became a lot happier.

That very trick has saved me a number of times in slow queues on hot days :)

more than one lounge?

Arguably 3 of them.
A sort-of-formal drawing room (only used occasionally or when several kids are about and need more TV options), an off-the-kitchen sitting room (mainly used for TV in the evenings, but is used daytime as a WFH for my wife as there is a proper desk in there) and another 3rd lounge area in my man cave.
6 sofas to choose from... but only a couple of wing chairs.

That very trick has saved me a number of times in slow queues on hot days :)

My old Hillman Imp had to be run like this on motorways in hot weather. Open windows to allow the heat out. 'Twas a useful trick cos the heater matrix was at the front, engine at the back (hence poor cooling flow!) but needed good long pipes between the two.

Arguably 3 of them.
A sort-of-formal drawing room (only used occasionally or when several kids are about and need more TV options), an off-the-kitchen sitting room (mainly used for TV in the evenings, but is used daytime as a WFH for my wife as there is a proper desk in there) and another 3rd lounge area in my man cave.
6 sofas to choose from... but only a couple of wing chairs.
We have three lounges too, but we don’t call any of them ‘lounges’. Two sofas and two wing chairs. Actually three sofas, but one of them is knackered.

Going to RAF Fairford for the Royal International Air Tattoo on Friday. Likely to be hot there, but looking at the weather forecast I think we have chosen the right day!

At the first sign of a bit of decent weather it's declared a national emergency and we're all gonna die. :(

I walked to the town this morning and went swimming by the pier. The water was calm, clear and warm(ish) . It was exhilarating.

I'm enjoying the late summer. I thought it would never come.

advertisement

Back