advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

Just checked the BBC forecast. No rain for the next fortnight.

Well, that's nice I must say! I was just thinking " this can't last forever" and you've just scotched that optimistic thought.:(

Many trees round here (Mid-Suffolk) are showing signs of distress with yellowing leaves.

Dunno about the trees but that's how I feel (in Norwich).:eek:

Computer says 31 degrees and they're not wrong here, but the odd thing is the continual strong gusts of hot wind this arvo. Weird, desiccating situation; what moisture there might be is immediately evaporated. I've never had such a struggle with my vegetable garden in 20 years. Now if cacti were edible.......

Strangely, whereas most heat forecasts tend to exaggerate, yesterday's forecast was '36 in London, 28 in Norwich (which discrepancy itself is unusual). 3 degrees hotter than that here.

Stiff breeze, leaden skies and mizzle in the PRW, which is what we’ve had ever since the we’re-all-going-to-die weather went away. Tomorrow? Less wind but cooler. Then rain again. For the moment, the parasol is keeping most of the occasional rain off, even if it feels like it’s about to blow away on occasion. At least having to wipe my iPad with my sleeve every few minutes keeps it clean.

Yes, heard of Prickly Pear; maybe good for prickly heat but I doubt it's that hardy enough for U.K. winters

Sitting here waiting and hoping (Everley Bros?) for a dose of wet stuff currently threatening and with the forecasts suddenly revising their % upwards. We've got a poor little hedgehog which has lost the plot over recent days and is showing up in the daytime. Have just been watching it at the foot of my greenhouse steps while I water.

Now when you pick a pawpaw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Well, next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw;
Have I given you a clue?

181dffcb1c6765969168a9548e50ec3aa2efed1b_00.gif

There is anecdotal evidence that fish flavoured cat food should be avoided for hedgehogs.
Put out a bowl of water too. Hedgehogs are nocturnal feeders so any food left in the morning should be disposed of and fresh put out the following evening.
Things that should not be fed to hedgehogs: milk and anything dairy based, bread, cake, pasta, rice, mealworms, peanuts, sunflower seeds and hearts, honey and dried fruit.
Hedgehogs are mainly insectivores but will eat anything, even if it's bad for them, so we need to be their nutritional police!
Three ounces or 75 grams is about a full days food for an adult, so one ounce or 25 grams is as much as we should feed them so they are encouraged to have a varied diet.

Andy

Have you got any wet cat food for it and some water (not milk)? They really need our help

Well aware of this and no prob. when we had pussycats. I've suggested picking up a sachet or whatever of cat food, esp. since slugs are scarce in long dry conditions but my wife is a bit ambivalent. However, I'll have a look next time I go to the SM. Water containers are dotted around and replenished when required.

We love our wildlife, with the exception of slugs and those 'orrible and invisible carnivorous insects which leave itching welts and sores for a week. My arm still bears the scars of a mass attack three weeks ago. Anthisan is a palliative, not a curative.

advertisement

Back