advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

I’ve fought wildfires for decades. None of it prepared me for the UK infernos this week
Tim Green
The fire service is at the frontline of the climate crisis – yet with 11,500 frontline staff cut we are simply not equipped for it

"Across the board, 11,500 frontline firefighter jobs have been cut in the UK fire and rescue service over the last decade. In Kent, our firefighter numbers have been slashed by 27% in that time. We are expected to do more with less; and it’s putting not only the public but also firefighters at risk."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ldfires-fire-service-climate-crisis-staff-cut

Good Morning All (again),

Just looking at the Daily Progress reports covering the last 4 days where the big trenching machine has been making its way over 4.1km of cable on the 2nd Pass. Obviously the boatie has been patiently tagging along and consuming a mere 52t of fuel in the process. I keep telling myself the work of installing wind farms is helping to reduce CO2 emissions..................

If only they had pre-trenched the whole 14.3km for both cables in the first place we would have been away from here a month ago............. 13t per day on average

Regards

Richard

I've no problem with people driving slower to save fuel, but I wish they'd at least stay above the wagon minimum speed, the amount of disruption caused by wagons having to overtake cars doing 50 is starting to do my head in.

To be honest, I find it a little puzzling why the very rich seem to feel the need to increase their wealth well beyond what is sensibly spendable. They could waste it, but that is not being sensible. Once you have your 2/3/4 houses spread around the globe and garages full of cars and all the other stuff that goes with that sort of lifestyle, why do they still feel the need to have 100s of millions in the bank?
I couldn't live like that, knowing there are people starving to death or homeless or in need of lifesaving medical treatment.
Keep enough so you can live comfortably and pass some on to your kids/grandkids or other relatives, fine, but keeping millions, billions even, that you could never spend, why?

Andy
Good explanation offered by Succession:

Glasgow supplying the whole uk maybe? ;)

Gavin - I think they need to look at transferring water within the country before they even consider export. We're on a well and I don't want to think about that drying up........

All the more argument for the government stepping in and using executive powers to ride roughshod over planning objections though.

Regards

Richard

Gavin - I think they need to look at transferring water within the country before they even consider export. We're on a well and I don't want to think about that drying up........

All the more argument for the government stepping in and using executive powers to ride roughshod over planning objections though.

Regards

Richard

I'm in sunny West Yorkshire and even the pond's dried up here. It's been abnormally dry for a long time now.

Just went for a walk and noticed that traffic island had caught fire - it's covered in a layer of black ash where there used to be grass. Just glad it didn't spread.

Good Afternoon All,

They still don't get it:-

wO3WIlw.png

Dear KCC - as usual you are viewing this the wrong way. It is much cheaper and better for the environment to increase the cost of petrol/ diesel to a level which would discourage the car drivers from being there in the first place and then the lorries, you know the vehicles which really need to be using this facility, can actually gain access using the already adequate facilities.

That way we don't have to spend countless squillions of pounds on more roadworks.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back