advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

Busses, trains, trams, taxies, vans & drivers etc all exist. You don’t need to own a plane or a ship to travel on one, so why own a car?

For me personally, I need to get to the Bus Depot before any buses run. No public transport before 06:50 which is no good for my first shift which starts just after 06:00.

There are shifts that start at 03:45 and some which finish at 02:30.

:cool:

We always hired a van and driver. At the time I don’t think any of us drove, but the last thing anyone playing a gig wants is to have driven from Liverpool to That London or wherever, played a gig, and then have to drive all the way back. It was hard enough just doing that much actual travelling, far better to pay someone else to do the driving. Why own a van when you can just hire one?

I’m not saying cars and vans shouldn’t exist, only that many, many people who own them don’t actually need to. Busses, trains, trams, taxies, vans & drivers etc all exist. You don’t need to own a plane or a ship to travel on one, so why own a car?
To have door to door transportation on your own schedule, with the ability to avoid outdoor physical exertion if that is inconvenient or a problem, and including the ability to transport more stuff than you can personally carry at one time. In my life, the need to transport quantities of stuff seems to arise frequently. My sister-in-law's 'new' motorized recliner is in my van now. Having to hire others to carry and haul that thing would likely have doubled it's cost.

Governments reaction to stable population is wrong IMO. China has already lifted the 1 child policy. Others are also encouraging more children.
Focus is on headline GDP growth, how to fund pensions and higher pop = political/military strength.
Only chance is a super Covid type pandemic... Cheerful stuff.

While there’s no shame whatsoever in doing what we can to reduce our carbon footprint, I do find it interesting that we can thank BP for inventing the term… while increasing their profits!

Doesn't seem to be what the report is saying...

A quick google on petrol prices only states total tax is 84.5 out of the 189.5 pence per litre: straight to the UK Govt.
So production cost and profit, refining cost and profit, transport cost and profit and selling company cost and profit all total 105p.
As at today, for petrol at least, the UK Govt gets the highest 'profit' by far.

Could folk on here explain after they become more wealthy is greed and wanting not to pay more tax a natural thing. Or are they born like that , a natural instinct to be tight bastards or do those the instinct grow as they earn more.

Could folk on here explain after they become more wealthy is greed and wanting not to pay more tax a natural thing. Or are they born like that , a natural instinct to be tight bastards or do those the instinct grow as they earn more.
I think the very reasons many are super wealthy is they are tight and they've always found ways to scoot taxes.

I think it goes with the territory- they think they work harder than anyone else and achieve more, therefore they should keep more.

My daughter’s best friend’s parents are both ‘working-class’ (by birth) Tories. Their view is very much along the lines of ‘We did very well for ourselves through sheer hard graft, and only lazy people are poor’. It’s not exactly ‘kicking the ladder away’, but they seem to have no concept of how things have changed since they were growing up, nor do they make the slightest allowance for those whose circumstances may have been different/tougher than their own.

To be honest, I find it a little puzzling why the very rich seem to feel the need to increase their wealth well beyond what is sensibly spendable. They could waste it, but that is not being sensible. Once you have your 2/3/4 houses spread around the globe and garages full of cars and all the other stuff that goes with that sort of lifestyle, why do they still feel the need to have 100s of millions in the bank?
I couldn't live like that, knowing there are people starving to death or homeless or in need of lifesaving medical treatment.
Keep enough so you can live comfortably and pass some on to your kids/grandkids or other relatives, fine, but keeping millions, billions even, that you could never spend, why?

Andy

To be honest, I find it a little puzzling why the very rich seem to feel the need to increase their wealth well beyond what is sensibly spendable. They could waste it, but that is not being sensible. Once you have your 2/3/4 houses spread around the globe and garages full of cars and all the other stuff that goes with that sort of lifestyle, why do they still feel the need to have 100s of millions in the bank?
I couldn't live like that, knowing there are people starving to death or homeless or in need of lifesaving medical treatment.
Keep enough so you can live comfortably and pass some on to your kids/grandkids or other relatives, fine, but keeping millions, billions even, that you could never spend, why?

Andy
Nobody needs a billion pounds and no one could possibly work so much in their life that they would deserve that much money. The only way one can become that rich is by depriving others of their fair share.

If it really was as simple as working hard everyone would earn the same hourly rate, if you want more money just work longer hours.

Last edited:
So you want to kill off people in the poorer nations to fund an excessive lifestyle for yourself?

Not that simple. 5% of India (so about 75m) have a Western lifestyle as far as carbon footprint is concerned. China about 150m. Both increasing rapidly.

Last edited:
Andy

I assume for the majority it does come down to greed, insecurity and a sense of power. However I’d like to believe that there are some whose wealth is mostly in the shares in businesses they have built who are driven by a personal conviction that they can do something good and want to maintain control in order to make that happen. I know he’s a marmite figure at best but I’d put Elon Musk in that category.

That said one of the people I most admire is Boyan Slat the founder of The Ocean Clean Up and that’s a not for profit organisation.

advertisement

Back