advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

Haven't had bed coverings since the warm weather started.

When it got really hot we had the window and curtains wide open. The problem with the latter was noise; firstly some foxes in the road howling away, secondly a skip being delivered to a neighbour's house at some ungodly hour.

Oh yes, and the cars that seem to be fitted with about fifteen doors, every single one of which has to be slammed shut. Twice.

The problem with the latter was noise; firstly some foxes in the road howling away

I couldn't sleep Sunday night and got up and read in the living room. About 4am I heard a soft chattering sound - peeked out between the curtains and found two foxes muzzle to muzzle having a proper gossip. It was the sweetest sound! We're knee deep in foxes here but I'd never heard that before. Perhaps they're more relaxed at that time of the morning when they normally have the place to themselves.

I understand why not everyone is a fan but I adore hearing the foxes - even when it sounds like they're murdering someone right outside my bedroom window!

It's not stupid, it is hard coded for living beings and life would die out without such a strong urge to reproduce.

We have the intellectual ability to control this of course and contraception to manage when we cannot abstain from the act itself. Your reasons and anyone elses is their own business. It is intensely personal but the urge is still very powerful.
Actually, we have no strong universal urge to reproduce. We have a strong universal urge to have sex. Until about now, that did the trick.

Actually, we have no strong universal urge to reproduce. We have a strong universal urge to have sex. Until about now, that did the trick.

Kind of the same thing biologically don't you think? Also not the same for all species either, I seem to recall that for some animals the act is painful - porcupine sex has to be agony surely? Some males die shortly after sex and some are killed by the female. I return to my basic premise, all life has the desire to reproduce, it's what we do to continue the bloodline and species. It is probably the single most important driver in life behaviour probably even more than survival.

Humans are unique I suspect to intellectually decide not to reproduce. Another interesting topic is why but a better thread is probably needed there. Also not sure that as someone who has always wanted children should be the one to start it.

It is probably the single most important driver in life behaviour probably even more than survival.

surely that is massively dependent on other factors like lifespan. Take a (for example) moth who only lives for 24 hours, with the sole purpose to mate to perpetuate the species, you might be correct.

But more long lived species, have to survive (food and water) to become mature enough to mate. Driver here is survival.

I couldn't sleep Sunday night and got up and read in the living room. About 4am I heard a soft chattering sound - peeked out between the curtains and found two foxes muzzle to muzzle having a proper gossip. It was the sweetest sound! We're knee deep in foxes here but I'd never heard that before. Perhaps they're more relaxed at that time of the morning when they normally have the place to themselves.

I understand why not everyone is a fan but I adore hearing the foxes - even when it sounds like they're murdering someone right outside my bedroom window!
Do you think Nelson might be one of your neighbours?
p01yybs8.jpg

IME that is so wrong. We both do after 25 years
IME men just want sex all the time because it feels good, and some get all paternal when they have a baby, whereas women find sex a large yawn because most men are crap at it, but put up with because they want a baby more than sex.

And you are, as you often remind us, an outlier in your lifestyle. And as you've said before, it does put a crimp in your business activities - you're not able to buy large collections if you can't transport them easily. And as you get older, you'll find more and more limits on the utility of public transport.

True, but I was also a successful IT consultant/contractor for many years moving around all over That London, Staines, Windsor, Hayes, Slough etc, and before that I gigged all across the country in an indie band!

IME men just want sex all the time because it feels good, and some get all paternal when they have a baby, whereas women find sex a large yawn because most men are crap at it, but put up with because they want a baby more than sex.
It sounds as though you haven't spoken to many women in your life.

True, but I was also a successful IT consultant/contractor for many years moving around all over That London, Staines, Windsor, Hayes, Slough etc, and before that I gigged all across the country in an indie band!
Well, apart from all those places being clustered quite closely together and therefore arguably manageable by cycle, there's also London's famously good and well-funded public transport network.

As to the indie band thing, did you all arrive at gigs from public transport, or did one of you have that mainstay of indie bands since forever - a knackered Ford Transit (or VW Microbus)? Only if so, you may not have driven, but you had the benefit of somebody who did.

As to the indie band thing, did you all arrive at gigs from public transport, or did one of you have that mainstay of indie bands since forever - a knackered Ford Transit (or VW Microbus)? Only if so, you may not have driven, but you had the benefit of somebody who did.

We always hired a van and driver. At the time I don’t think any of us drove, but the last thing anyone playing a gig wants is to have driven from Liverpool to That London or wherever, played a gig, and then have to drive all the way back. It was hard enough just doing that much actual travelling, far better to pay someone else to do the driving. Why own a van when you can just hire one?

I’m not saying cars and vans shouldn’t exist, only that many, many people who own them don’t actually need to. Busses, trains, trams, taxies, vans & drivers etc all exist. You don’t need to own a plane or a ship to travel on one, so why own a car?

advertisement

Back