advertisement

Posting speakers abroad

rbrierle

pfm Member
All,

I'm looking to sell a pair of floorstanding speakers (30kg each) for which I have the original inner and outer boxes. Is it risky (in terms of potential for damage) in posting them abroad?

Previously I've posted SS amps abroad but been more cautious about cd players.

Cheers,

Rob

I seem to recall hearing something about the possibility of damage in aircraft cargo holds, due to pressure and temperature fluctuations. I don't know if that's relevant here.

I have no problems posting abroad. I have sent a pair of Linn Sara 9s to italy in the last year with no problems. I've also sent an LP12 to Sweden and a cd3 to Australia. In all cases I have packed them really well, double boxed with plenty of bubble wrap and polystyrene chips and the box seams double taped with fragile tape. All arrived in perfect condition. I always use interparcel as they seem to be the cheapest.

Use Interparcel.com or wedelivertheworld.co.uk and make sure they are insured!! I have sent Isobariks to South Korea and Keltiks (60Kg each) to Greece.

CJ

Thanks for the replies.

Well, the speakers will be posted abroad (Interparcel/Fedex) and I want to do everything in my power to make sure they arrive safely. Does anyone know of a high street B&Q-type place where I can source reasonably priced packaging.

What I'm looking for:
- 'Fragile' tape
- large bubble wrap
- corner/edge reinforcers that can be attached to the corners/edges of the cardboard speaker boxes.

When I look online it mainly seems to be bulk sales for businesses.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob

i just posted a Naim CD player successfully to Germany from the UK (Interparcel, DHL). However, when we receive sensitive lab equipment it nearly always comes with a shock detector....worth considering? I think their value is in making the courier take more care, not in showing that they've been dropped....this sort of thing: http://www.shockwatch.com/shipping_handling_monitors/impact_indicator/index.php

Can see how those + the warning tape might make them take a bit more care. But do you know how much they are? The website looks a bit trade to me?

ive sent quite a bit of naim gear abroad in the original packaging and never had no problems. these have been sent by both road and air. Just label them up as much as possible as fragile, get them insured and hope for the best. You can get SHOCKWatch stickers that change colour if the package has been subjected to certain G's to give you a good idea if the package has been mis handled

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know of a high street B&Q-type place where I can source reasonably priced packaging.

What I'm looking for:
- 'Fragile' tape
- large bubble wrap
- corner/edge reinforcers that can be attached to the corners/edges of the cardboard speaker boxes.

When I look online it mainly seems to be bulk sales for businesses.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob

staples sell bubble rap
http://www.staples.co.uk/post-room-and-packaging/bubble-bags-rolls-fill

I work for an electrical wholesaler and we sometimes get packages which have corner reinforcing, so why don't you try a local wholesaler, builders, plumbers etc and beg some,

of corner reinforcing, and overall minimising the possibilty of an otherwise deadly shock or thrust, i advise you to buy panels of cellfoam and put them to fill in all the space inside the inner one of the double box you say you'll ship the speakers in. this will surely help to preserve them. however, rest assured bubble wrap shall do nothing to prevent any considerable shock to a 30kgs/pc. speaker> the bubbles will simply burst and go flat at the first impact...
nevertheless, that shockwatch stuff must be pretty good - provided there is a legal stuff behind them firm enough to stand in a case as proof of mishandling a shipment should this pretty sad thing happen.
moreover, i must say i always have received speakers from the UK in great shape regardless of the courier - but in some cases thanks only to the clever original factory packaging, which seems thus proven.
hence, imho stay calm, that double-box and cellfoam padding will surely protect the speakers :)

Do be aware that if you post to Australia, then the recipient is up for Customs Duty [ 10% of value ] and also Quarantine costs [ perhaps as much as $75 ]. All that can be a nasty shock .

I have sent Linn Katans in their original packaging from Austria to Finland two years ago (sold via PFM). No problems at all, they arrived safely and the buyer was happy.

How do people manage payments from International buyers? I'm never too sure the best way to do it so ensure fraud protection, so far I've insisted on a verified Paypal account at least then I'm covered by Paypal insurance.

I use either Paypal or many customers prefer to wire money direct to my bank account. I have had customers in Hong Kong wire money to my account that arrived within a couple of hours. Obviously I have the advantage of having a business with very good reputation and extensive ebay feedback.

CJ

Make sure that the couriers insurance is door to door. Some only insure for the domestic part of the journey. Take plenty of photos of the packaging side as well as the final parcel, ask the courier to confrim in writing that on collection there is no damage to the boxes. Make sure that the buyer is aware of the claim proceedure and timeframe. Most couriers will only deal with the sender and will require the goods to be returned to them for inspection. This can take 4-6 weeks on a shipment within the UK and months if the shipment is abroad.

Rodrat,

Not my experience of using Interparcel.com or Fastlane.

Most couriers have no facilty to 'sign' that the goods/box was in good condition on collection - TNT is the only exception. UPS, FedEx, DHL and DPD just scan the barcode UPS and FedEx do not take a signature on collection at all.

The claims that I have made through Interparcel.com simply require pictures of the parcel as it arrived at my customers, pictures of the damage and some formal figure for the repair/replacement costs. Never had an issue with a claim and normally paid by cheque in about 4 weeks. Never had to had goods repatriated. Always kept customer updated on progress and they were ALL very happy with the outcome.

I would VERY highly recommend interparcel.com as they are very professional, efficient and use quality couriers.

CJ

I give my two cents because the subject is one I know well - having also a couple of times complained about the scarce availability of average UK sellers to ship abroad.

I have, so far, received:

- SBLs
- CD5
- HiCap
- CDX2
- XPS2
- AV2
- Nap 175
- n-Center
- n-Sats (black)
- DVD5 (arrived with minor fault, not visibly due to carriage)
- CD5x
- FlatCap2x
- Nait XS
- another CD5
- Nait5
- FlatCap2
- Rega RS7s
- Rega Mira

all of above, safe when specified, came home with no problem, either from the UK or Germany, safe the Rega Mira that came from Sicily.

I have shipped almost all of it in turn, with the exception of the FlatCap2x and the CD5x which were collected, with no problem safe for the n-Center which got a bit scratched by the bracket due to my silliness.

I have shipped a big pair of Rega RS7, in two large boxes, to Scotland. Never got any serious problem.

I may have forgotten something. Nothing got lost, stolen, destroyed.

Cheers,

Max

advertisement

Back