advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Hopefully not, but for me, the scary point is that he's far closer to potential success than he ought to be. Sometimes I start to wonder whether the Athenians, the original democrats, had the right idea in limiting the say in the community to a particular educated class. But then I think of all those highly qualified people who are members of Trump's inner circle. I guess education and knowledge (and , yes, truth) come second to ambition and personal prejudice.

Most of the men who sat around that table in Berlin-Wannsee in late 1941 had higher degrees.

I think educated psychopaths are MUCH greater danger to democracy and the well-being of the population than uninformed voters, and I would focus on policies that reduce the power of individuals and force consensus government.

Interesting jury selection for Bannon as it turns out a bunch of the jurors just said "I know of this guy and he definitely did it" or "I know of this guy and I don't believe a word he says" and got disqualified.

In other news, this memo from Garland is infuriating.

Time to face reality, Trump is never going to be prosecuted. We should all stop getting our hopes up.

I am not so sure and think he has a major problem in Georgia.

Also there are a lot of investigations into the wider Trump world. See here for a summary: https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/07/...eryone-was-whinging-doj-wasnt-doing-anything/

Of course it's frustratingly slow because that is how the law is supposed to work. But I suspect it will look like he is not going to get in serious legal trouble until suddenly he does and then it seems obvious. My main worry, more so than Garland, is that we run out of time and some change in congress (after the mid-terms) or the DoJ (after 2024) means he can end the investigations before they finish.

Although as ever it's worth reading Marcy Wheeler for a calmer perspective:
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1549388718028496896

As an intelligent man Garland must realize that failing to prosecute Trump for the obvious and egregious crimes he committed would do devastating damage to both democracy and the rule of law in the US. So if Garland were to let Trump skate you'd have to assume that he (Garland) is somehow either in on the scam (in which case why did the GOP bother to block his SCOTUS nomination), or has been threatened (Putin, or other far right sponsor ?)

Both of these possibilities seem unlikely so I continue to be very cautiously optimistic that the DOJ will eventually do the right thing. (Though at the same time I'm slow rolling any spending on our house because of the possibility that we'll be bailing out of the US in 2024/2025).

obvious. My main worry, more so than Garland, is that we run out of time and some change in congress (after the mid-terms) or the DoJ (after 2024) means he can end the investigations before they finish.

that is exactly what will happen in my opinion. Garland will run the clock down until a change in the balance of power and then any pending investigations will be quashed. Maybe some minions will be convicted in the mean time, but Trump? Highly unlikely.

that is exactly what will happen in my opinion. Garland will run the clock down until a change in the balance of power and then any pending investigations will be quashed. Maybe some minions will be convicted in the mean time, but Trump? Highly unlikely.

I don’t think Garland will run the clock down, which implies bad faith on his part. I think he cares above all else about the rule of law and the restoration of the DoJ and doing the right thing. I see no complicated political motives in him at all, only a muelleresque rigidity.

I don’t think Garland will run the clock down, which implies bad faith on his part. I think he cares above all else about the rule of law and the restoration of the DoJ and doing the right thing. I see no complicated political motives in him at all, only a muelleresque rigidity.

no, I don’t think there is any bad faith, it’s just that the investigations will progress painfully slowly and then time will run out.

Some astonishing testimony in the Jan 6th hearings yesterday. I don’t see how Trump can walk away from this, the evidence against him is conclusive, incontrovertible and utterly damning. He deserves to rot in jail for the rest of his life.

That said we shouldn’t overlook this fine footage of Trump gobshite Sen Josh Hawley inciting the crowd to riot and then running away like a total coward:

It stands up to repeated viewing.

Some astonishing testimony in the Jan 6th hearings yesterday. I don’t see how Trump can walk away from this, the evidence against him is conclusive, incontrovertible and utterly damning. He deserves to rot in jail for the rest of his life.

That said we shouldn’t overlook this fine footage of Trump gobshite Sen Josh Hawley inciting the crowd to riot and then running away like a total coward:

It stands up to repeated viewing.

I think "Trump gobshite" is entirely inaccurate. He was top in his (private) Hgih school class,and attended Stanford and Yale - both very difficult to get into.

I think Hawley is one of the highly intelligent psychopaths that I mentioned as being the worst enemies of general societal peace and wellbeing. (https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...gs-book-deals-etc.256509/page-68#post-4740544)

I think "Trump gobshite" is entirely inaccurate. He was top in his (private) Hgih school class,and attended Stanford and Yale - both very difficult to get into.

I think Hawley is one of the highly intelligent psychopaths that I mentioned as being the worst enemies of general societal peace and wellbeing. (https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...gs-book-deals-etc.256509/page-68#post-4740544)
Absolutely. Another one is Ted Cruz. You don't get a cum laude from Princeton and a magna cum laude from Harvard LS just by showing up.

It takes quite a specific personality type to be that bright and still to prioritise one’s own wealth and self-advancement by taking an absolute fortune from the gun lobby in the face of endless school shootings etc. Ted Cruz is precisely that man. “Thoughts & prayers”. Kerching!

PS Whilst we are on the general subject of puffed-up deranged nutjobs, and I can’t justify starting a fresh thread, I’ll use this one to point out Jordan Peterson gets ever more batshit alt-right/fascist crazy by the week. His current tantrums over Ukraine etc (he’s pro-Russia), getting banned from Twitter etc really are something quite special. The tldr is “it’s the trans folks”, obvs. Always the trans folk. He manages to straddle that fine line between being so spectacularly and hatefully wrong he is a thoroughly depressing indicator of modern far-right intolerance & its pseudoscience etc, and being such a pathetic endlessly whinging pantomime shithead he is actually LOL funny.

Yes, his simultaneous 'You need to man up' exhortations clash with his 'It's all somebody else's fault' whinges. Unsurprisingly, the Torygraph has adopted him as their new poster boy.

Yes, his simultaneous 'You need to man up' exhortations clash with his 'It's all somebody else's fault' whinges. Unsurprisingly, the Torygraph has adopted him as their new poster boy.

"Men must be more dangerous", this guy is one of the biggest twats out there.

"Men must be more dangerous", this guy is one of the biggest twats out there.

Perhaps we can just hope that he runs into a "dangerous man" on a dark night in an alley. In the worse case that he survives he might reconsider some of his opinions.

advertisement

Back