advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

There is a disturbingly real risk of America descending into fascism IMO and if it does the Brexit-trashed UK won’t be far behind. The next US election could be its last of any meaning. It is beyond terrifying to realise this statement can be made without hyperbole.
America and Britain have both been devouring themselves independently of any external threat. I’ll qualify that by suggesting Russia and China have probably been having fun with their troll factories whipping up the gullible and the paranoid. The political leaders of both the US and Britain have been known liars of low competence, who’ve attacked established norms and rules, undermining freedom of the judiciary, regulation and the media and who thrive by stoking division. Of course it’s going to end badly, our adversaries only have to stand back and watch the implosion.

I see the furry horned prannet has just earned himself a prison sentence for his Instagram moment at the Capitol.

Yes quite a surprising verdict - illegally in possession of a firearm, travelled out of state to a be a vigilante and killed two protestors protesting brutality. Apparently it was OK because someone threw a plastic bag at him...

Also quite surprising because he was from Illinois and travelled to Wisconsin. When I was in the area Wisconsinites referred to people from Illinois as FIBS.

This was a terrible, inexplicable miscarriage of justice. I feel for the victims and their families.

Jury trials are often a crap shoot. Most think that evidence is all that matters, but much also depends on the trial's locale, pool and judge.

The system works well much of the time, but not unlike democracy itself, it sometimes produces a really bad result.

Last edited:
This was expected though as his self-defense case was pretty strong and the prosecution was not the best and the judge was, ahem, a bit quirky. It's not nearly as bad as the Trayon Martin case or if the Ahmaud Arbery killers get acquitted. But it does make one worry about what happens next as presumably it's ok to being assault rifles to protests now. It's going to be nauseating if he wins a truck load of money in the inevitable civil suit though.

Rittenhouse I suspect will be in jail before long and I predict a George Zimmerman like endgame for the vile little prick.

This was a terrible, inexplicable miscarriage of justice. I feel for the victims and their families.

Jury trials are often a crap shoot. While most think that evidence is all that matters, much also depends on the trial's locale, pool and judge.

The system works well much of the time, but not unlike democracy itself, it sometimes produces a really bad result.

The judge had his finger on the scale right from the start, and the prosecution was not competently run.

This verdict will be seen as license for other adventure tourists to go hunting for libtards.

This verdict will be seen as license for other adventure tourists to go hunting for libtards.

The terrifying thing is it basically legitimises Trump’s “Proud Boys” heavily armed white-supremacist terrorists etc. This and the very deliberate attempts from the Republican far-right to rig/remove votes from non-whites makes the prospect of America descending into civil war and fascism increasingly plausible.

advertisement

Back