advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

I'd be happy if the Second Amendment was interpreted as it was originally intended, as I understand it, i.e. that the USA would have no standing army, just a continuation of the Revolutionary War Minutemen. This all fell on its face as the USA expanded westwards and ran into problems with the locals who, understandably, objected to their ancestral lands being confiscated. Thus a regular army was needed, thus rendering the Second Amendment null and void.
Exactly, the 2nd is the Protection of Militia Amendment. Militia having turned out to be a bad idea all the way around, it's unfortunate.

More successful is a less obvious scheme to limit the size of the army: appropriations for the army are limited to 2 years duration. This means that an election to the House of Representatives must occur between appropriations. The framers doubtless figured that the voters would vote out any House that approved the ruinous cost of a standing army in peacetime. Within limits, this actually worked until after WWII.

Another bit of news that'll have the Orange Moron quivering in his boots - the purchase of MGM by Amazon. This means that Trump arch-enemy Bezos has access to all the American episodes of The Apprentice, including all the out-takes. According to several ex-competitors these latter show Trump prolifically using racist, homophobic and sexist language. It'll make interesting viewing...

Last edited:
America is a Spartan superstate.
It’s military is woven into society via education, the industrial machine, and its need for a poorly educated underclass reliant on its jobs.

America is a Spartan superstate.
It’s military is woven into society via education, the industrial machine, and its need for a poorly educated underclass reliant on its jobs.

...and promoted by media and entertainment (propaganda).

The more Hollywood product I see the more it’s blatant jingoistic propaganda pisses me off.
It’s obsession with guns being the solution to any problem is scary, it normalises extreme violence.

What do people make of Trumps latest speech?

Uncertain delivery, slurred speech, trousers on back to front!?

Drugs or dementia? He looks very unwell.

Mitch mconnel is more dangerous than trump, and equally dishonest, a expert practitioner of pork barrel politics.

All Donald Trump has to have is a pulse. The cult is bonded to him and will remain loyal to him unto death. The fact of his decline makes him less able than ever to formulate and execute policy, so the snake will have no head going forward, which is doubtless a good thing.

He may plan to use his declining health to avoid testifying, or serving prison time.

The "He's got his trousers on backwards!" thing is the silliest thing ever and mostly proves how stupid much of youtube and twitter are.

But I am completely on board with the dementia hypothesis. Despite the risks and difficulties of remote diagnoses it's been going on for years and his decline is broadly in line with what was suggested. And as Don notes, I suspect we will hear a lot more about dementia once he is indicted and we get closer to trials.

I can honestly say that the video of Trump above is still more coherent than most of Biden’s public statements, which are usually excruciating uncomfortable and sad to watch.

In fact, going for the dementia angle against Trump is perhaps tactically unwise seeing as Biden is unquestionably much further down that particular avenue, and more consequentially so, as he’s actually currently in office.

What’s really needed is younger blood for both parties. When two men of almost 80 years of age are the leaders of each side it says there’s something deeply wrong with that country.

In fact, going for the dementia angle against Trump is perhaps tactically unwise seeing as Biden is unquestionably much further down that particular avenue, and more consequentially so, as he’s actually currently in office.

Biden has a life-long stammer/stutter. It is well documented and has nothing to do with age and is not an indicator of dementia. All the ‘sleepy Joe’ stuff was just as repulsive as Trump mocking a handicapped journalist at one of his fascist rallies. It was a propaganda smear, nothing more.

I certainly agree both parties could do with younger candidates all round, but sadly US politics is just something you buy, and only the very wealthiest can apply. Even left-wing icon Bernie Sanders is worth more than most of us could ever imagine and is well in the ‘one-percenter’ category himself.

PS The UK has obviously been on this path forever. It is always hard to find any non-millionaires on the Conservative front benches, many of whom were just born into their vast wealth and the accompanying self-entitlement/sense of a right to lead.

@Tony L

Re: Biden’s alleged stammer, I’ve not seen any older videos of him stuttering from say the 70s or 80s even though he’s been in public life for 50 years. Regardless, what he’s doing now is not just stuttering or stammering, it’s mumbling unrelated half-sentences mixed in with gibberish eg. his bizarre ‘corn-pop’ comments last year. I see no need to defend the obvious when it’s so obvious.

advertisement

Back