advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Everyone says "Indictment very soon, maybe weeks, maybe days". Although it feels like we have been at that stage for 3 months now.

Currently reading this excellent volume from the FT's Gideon Rachman:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/revi...-cult-leader-threatens-democracy-around-world

and it makes me wonder whether, in the light of the apparent desire of people around the world for a "strongman" with simple solutions to complex problems and the resisting and destruction of haughty elites, Trump will ever be brought to justice. I've noted elsewhere the reported trend of people who follow such strongmen to be content with membership of the club, and actually not care that the strongman does not benefit them at all. Erdogan built this ridiculous palace in a country with dire economic problems - his following are perfectly happy for him to do so. US "evangelicals" are happy to support a thrice-married serial adulterer, business failure and liar. The UK followed the the upper-class obvious charlatan Johnson into the disaster of Brexit ("take back control"). Logically, it makes no sense, but the problem is that logic and rational thinking have been confined to the "fake news" category. It was said that, at the British surrender to Washington at Yorktown, the band played "The world turned upside down". We thought that the world turned right way up when the Berlin Wall fell, and that it would stay that way - Frances Fukuyama's "end of history". We were wrong.

We’ve been at that stage since Mueller!

Yes. Although Mueller was kind of screwed first by Trump being president and then specifically by Barr's dark arts / corrupt handling of it. And although he could almost certainly be indicted for obstruction of justice it was clear that once he wasn't by the incoming administration it was not going to happen. Hence the process had to start again, another 2 years, etc. etc. and here we are, albeit with the much stronger, easier to charge Jan 6 and classified document related charges.

Kirschner at the end of that MSNBC video said something like it's a slam dunk to prosecute but the question is will it be indicted. Although I have always been of the view that once Jack Smith was appointed and we moved to the documents cases it became massively more likely. It's hard to see how Garland cannot indict now given all the physical evidence and no longer having to worry about mens rea and conspiracy issues.

What is worrying is that any future court case may well end up happening slap bang in the middle of the 2024 election.

Yes. Although Mueller was kind of screwed first by Trump being president and then specifically by Barr's dark arts / corrupt handling of it. And although he could almost certainly be indicted for obstruction of justice it was clear that once he wasn't by the incoming administration it was not going to happen. Hence the process had to start again, another 2 years, etc. etc. and here we are, albeit with the much stronger, easier to charge Jan 6 and classified document related charges.

Kirschner at the end of that MSNBC video said something like it's a slam dunk to prosecute but the question is will it be indicted. Although I have always been of the view that once Jack Smith was appointed and we moved to the documents cases it became massively more likely. It's hard to see how Garland cannot indict now given all the physical evidence and no longer having to worry about mens rea and conspiracy issues.

What is worrying is that any future court case may well end up happening slap bang in the middle of the 2024 election.

Georgia looks like it's happening soon. That case looks every bit as compelling as the Docs/Jan 6th. I am getting more confident that they will indict.

Currently reading this excellent volume from the FT's Gideon Rachman:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/revi...-cult-leader-threatens-democracy-around-world

and it makes me wonder whether, in the light of the apparent desire of people around the world for a "strongman" with simple solutions to complex problems and the resisting and destruction of haughty elites, Trump will ever be brought to justice. I've noted elsewhere the reported trend of people who follow such strongmen to be content with membership of the club, and actually not care that the strongman does not benefit them at all. Erdogan built this ridiculous palace in a country with dire economic problems - his following are perfectly happy for him to do so. US "evangelicals" are happy to support a thrice-married serial adulterer, business failure and liar. The UK followed the the upper-class obvious charlatan Johnson into the disaster of Brexit ("take back control"). Logically, it makes no sense, but the problem is that logic and rational thinking have been confined to the "fake news" category. It was said that, at the British surrender to Washington at Yorktown, the band played "The world turned upside down". We thought that the world turned right way up when the Berlin Wall fell, and that it would stay that way - Frances Fukuyama's "end of history". We were wrong.

And thus illustrates how we are now in the CHAOS/Endarkenment. It's as if the Renaissance never happened.

Beau on the tapes and suggesting the evidence is now stacking up to such a degree Trump’s lawyers will have no real chance of mounting a defence. I like the term ‘a push play trial’!

Schools in Mormon capital of the World ban other religion's text. Colour me shocked.

If they ban The book of Mormon as well, I'd believe it to be a meaningful move towards secularism in the state.

So the Grand Jury is reconvening in the stolen documents investigation with rumours of charging decisions imminent.

I think this case is far more serious than the stormy daniels hush money indictment, trump now facing possible charges under the espionage act? We will soon find out if the rumours are correct.

Looks like the Indictments are coming (Independent), Meadows said to have accepted a deal. Obviously didn't fancy "doing a Haldeman" for his boss. The clincher for me is that Trump has denied that he has been informed that he is to face charges. That means he most certainly has.

The ever approaching, but never arriving indictments remind of a girl I knew about 40 years ago.

If Mark Meadows has only just testified then an indictment this week seems too soon. I think we might have to wait a few more weeks.

advertisement

Back