advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

That was quite a difficult watch. The pressure to collude or essentially lose your career and your families career is just huge.
Lose your career? Try Googling 'Taylor Swift Net Worth'. Forbes has her 2023 estimate down as $570 million.

The whole family could move in next door to the Clooney's and enjoy a quiet life.

Of course, she won't necessarily receive the same attention as she might do for putting her and her family as risk, simply because she has a 'voice'.

This is why Trump is Teflon coated. His performance was like a Jerry Sadowitz show; except where Sadowitz holds up a mirror to his audience, Trump wouldn’t recognise irony if it bit him in the arse.

Can you imagine Michael Gove or Fabricant trying to pull this off? What should be absolutely damning is lapped up by an audience who just can’t get enough of this shit.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1656475832422989824

Don’t confuse a self selecting bunch of Trump’s base with the wider electorate. Certainly it’s tragic that anyone is taken in by him, but frankly it’s the GOP who are caused the bigger problem. Trump winning their primary with no chance in the election is the nightmare they fully deserve. Senior Republican figures, whatever they say publicly, will be praying harder than Dems that he’s taken out by the remaining serious legal jeopardy.

CNN haven't a clue. Their idea of presenting facts has them being perceived as shifting 'centric' politically. Basically, they gave Trump a national stage for one of his usual rabble rousing rants and it didn't cost him a dime. CNN may as well be an official donor to his campaign.

I’m not so sure. The room was packed with Trump’s white geriatric moron audience, so he had a false sense of security, and from there he incriminated himself multiple times. He will no doubt be successfully sued for for some of what he said and other things will help those prosecuting him in upcoming election fraud and insurrection cases. This all played out on TV in front of the never-Trump GOP electorate who must have had their heads in their hands in disbelief. Remember Trump doesn’t need to convince his cult, he has them already. Exposing what this cult is to everyone else is far more important and I suspect CNN did that by just letting Trump lie, twist, libel and dig-in.

Exposing what this cult is to everyone else is far more important and I suspect CNN did that by just letting Trump lie, twist, libel and dig-in.

That sounds like the argument that allows fascists onto Question Time in order that their incoherence be exposed. What it’s equally likely to have done is caused at least 75 million Americans to sit in front of their TV’s and whoop with delight. “Damn right, at least somebody has the guts to say the things the liberal elite are afraid to say.”

That sounds like the argument that allows fascists onto Question Time in order that their incoherence be exposed. What it’s equally likely to have done is caused at least 75 million Americans to sit in front of their TV’s and whoop with delight. “Damn right, at least somebody has the guts to say the things the liberal elite are afraid to say.”

I take your point, and I certainly hold the BBC responsible for just relentlessly and disproportionately platforming Farage or some other UKIP fascist on every QT etc, but I view this as something a little different. I’d have liked to see a balanced audience and better attempts at fact-checking though, but that is still ongoing as it is being dissected over other channels.

The key thing here is Trump’s cult base don’t matter. They are not a variable at the next election as he has them already and they are literally a cult with all the brainwashing, entrenchment and religious delusion that implies. The only people in play are the ‘never-Trump’ Republicans, Democrats, and maybe some non-voters. Do you think this CNN platform moved any of those groups towards him? My suspicion is it won’t have, especially given the ongoing analysis and repercussions.

I'm hoping the court which just awarded the $5m damages somehow has the power to increase them based on his doubling-down on the libel. Or, perhaps more likely, that the court in the appeal he intends to mount can take these actions into account when deciding (as it presumably will) not to uphold the appeal. It'd be nice to think that the CNN appearance doubled his liability, and eliminated whatever slim* chance there was of his appeal being successful.

*My understanding is that his defence didn't actually proffer anything meaningful by way of support for his rebuttal, just a lot of random noise. That surely makes it difficult for him to mount an appeal based on the court having got things wrong.

I'm hoping the court which just awarded the $5m damages somehow has the power to increase them based on his doubling-down on the libel. Or, perhaps more likely, that the court in the appeal he intends to mount can take these actions into account when deciding (as it presumably will) not to uphold the appeal. It'd be nice to think that the CNN appearance doubled his liability, and eliminated whatever slim* chance there was of his appeal being successful.

*My understanding is that his defence didn't actually proffer anything meaningful by way of support for his rebuttal, just a lot of random noise. That surely makes it difficult for him to mount an appeal based on the court having got things wrong.
Whose money will fund his appeal, I wonder...?

I take your point, and I certainly hold the BBC responsible for just relentlessly and disproportionately platforming Farage or some other UKIP fascist on every QT etc, but I view this as something a little different. I’d have liked to see a balanced audience and better attempts at fact-checking though, but that is still ongoing as it is being dissected over other channels.

The problem with fact-checking is that Trump appears to practise a version of the "Gish gallop", a technique devised by creationist Duane Gish, involving the rapid-firing of a barrage of facts, exaggerations, distortions and downright lies, such that an interviewer or opponent has no chance of answering them all, at which point the galloper claims victory. Certainly an audience not almost completely composed of his followers would have been an improvement.

In his latest newsletter, Robert Reich makes an interesting point about CNN:

https://robertreich.substack.com/p/after-last-night-anyone-still-trust

Whose money will fund his appeal, I wonder...?

Any money he grifts from his cult base to fight his endless legal battles can’t be used to promote his fascism, so that is good too. It has a wider impact on the Republican Party too as multiple $millions of Trump cult donations now never get anywhere political marketing etc. Still a ton of money in play from all the gun lobby and other elites, but it is good to see a substantial amount of blue-state donations being flushed buying increasingly expensive and deranged lawyers defending the indefensible.

advertisement

Back