advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Garland has appointed a Special Prosecutor for the Biden documents. Which is a smart move as a) it avoids the accusations of double standards and b) it screws with Jim Jordan's plan to knobble the Trump investigations by cutting off funding to Jack Smith.

Also annoyingly for the GOP the Biden version of this crime lacks all the egregious criminal behaviour of the Trump version.

Could this be an opportune moment for Biden to announce that he won't run again in 2024? Do the honourable thing, mea culpa, buck stops here and fall on his sword? It would provide time for a new candidate to rise and it would be a total contrast to the behavior of Trump.
Indeed, but not holding my breath. Power is addictive.

Could this be an opportune moment for Biden to announce that he won't run again in 2024? Do the honourable thing, mea culpa, buck stops here and fall on his sword? It would provide time for a new candidate to rise and it would be a total contrast to the behavior of Trump.
Such suggestions give credence to the right wing line that Democrats planted the docs on Biden to drive him out of the 2024 race!

Tucker Carlson: Whether or not you think this is an organized effort from within the Democratic Party to prevent Biden from running again. I think it’s really clear that it is.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1613706759813664769

Such suggestions give credence to the right wing line that Democrats planted the docs on Biden to drive him out of the 2024 race!

Tucker Carlson: Whether or not you think this is an organized effort from within the Democratic Party to prevent Biden from running again. I think it’s really clear that it is.

Indeed. Biden should run again barring health issues as he’s got plenty of achievements to run on and that plus incumbency bias and a likely very poor GOP candidate in Desantis makes him a strong pre race favourite.

Hadn't heard that one! But wouldn't Biden remaining in the race not be an advantage to the Republicans? They could not only present him as doddery, opening his mouth only to change feet, but also as crooked. Of course, they are limited as to what they can do with the latter, because it also shows up Trump as even more crooked. Perhaps we are looking here at the clearing of both decks, De Santis v. A.N. Other.

Hadn't heard that one! But wouldn't Biden remaining in the race not be an advantage to the Republicans? They could not only present him as doddery, opening his mouth only to change feet, but also as crooked. Of course, they are limited as to what they can do with the latter, because it also shows up Trump as even more crooked. Perhaps we are looking here at the clearing of both decks, De Santis v. A.N. Other.
Biden is not a crackerjack campaigner, but as President he's been highly excellent. Don't think a majority will judge him by the picture the Republican propaganda paints

Well
I'd do 5 months for $1.7m. No problem for a tough guy like me from the projects.
Well it’s a question of a suitable emolument. A couple of 6’8”, 300lb chaps with dreadlocks down to their waist needn’t be expensive

Last edited:
This should be interesting. Murdoch has to testify under oath whether or not Fox News knowingly peddled lies about election fraud.

I believe that Murdoch will claim innocence, and try and blame the T***p crazies for feeding him lies. Of course, that means he will be on record admitting to extreme gullibility, but I guess that’s preferable to admitting he knowingly participated in defamation.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/ruper...-billion-dominion-defamation-case-2022-12-13/

More on the Murdoch thing here. Hopefully he’ll get sued to hell and back for his lies, slurs and propaganda.

I can't be the only one wondering when the world will become a slightly better place without Rupert Murdoch in it.

I suspect the next one down the shitpipe will be just as bad. US style legal action is very likely the best weapon, if Fox News etc can be held to account the way InfoWars was over Sandy Hook then maybe there is a way forward. I’ve long advocated for StopFundingHate here, their actions help remove a lot of advertising revenue. There are many valid approaches even if our Tory/Labour political culture is too spineless to implement Leveson etc.

More on the Murdoch thing here. Hopefully he’ll get sued to hell and back for his lies, slurs and propaganda.
From the video: "Here's the Fox position: 'There is nothing more newsworthy than covering the president of the United States and his lawyers making allegations of voter fraud."

This position contains the claim that Fox is a news organization. But that means they should be following journalistic ethics, which call on them to check the factuality of sources they quote, and report if they are lying. If they knew the claims of election fraud by Dominion were lies, and it can be shown that they did, their claim of journalistic immunity to libel collapses, and they are guilty as you or I would be if we posted harmful untruths about someone.

It will be fascinating to see this one play out. It is a clear case of libel, the Dominion voting machines were stated to be corrupt not only by Trump, but by various of the endless Fox News shock-jock opinion gobshites. I would expect the likes of Tucker Carlson to be standing dangerously close to Alex Jones and InfoWars here. They did far more than factually quoting or playing Trump speeches, they absolutely went off on one about it, and did so for months.

I assume Dominion will have week after week after week of damaging footage and could if necessary challenge and attach a price tag to every single statement.

It will be fascinating to see this one play out. It is a clear case of libel, the Dominion voting machines were stated to be corrupt not only by Trump, but by various of the endless Fox News shock-jock opinion gobshites. I would expect the likes of Tucker Carlson to be standing dangerously close to Alex Jones and InfoWars here. They did far more than factually quoting or playing Trump speeches, they absolutely went off on one about it, and did so for months.

I assume Dominion will have week after week after week of damaging footage and could if necessary challenge and attach a price tag to every single statement.
Justice is not always to be had in the courts, but if it is this time, Fox should be ruined.

Justice is not always to be had in the courts, but if it is this time, Fox should be ruined.

AA575-A81-A4-AA-4-D08-A27-A-A56-AF23-D1295.gif

Overt ‘anti-woke’ fascism from DeSantis. It is clear the Republican Party are going full-on KKK for the next election.

PS Again, here is what the word ‘woke’ means:

“Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".[1][2] Beginning in the 2010s, it came to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities such as sexism, and has also been used as shorthand for American Left ideas involving identity politics and social justice, such as the notion of white privilege and slavery reparations for African Americans.“ (Wikipedia).

The opposite of ‘woke’ is ‘fascist’.

Overt ‘anti-woke’ fascism from DeSantis. It is clear the Republican Party are going full-on KKK for the next election.

PS Again, here is what the word ‘woke’ means:

“Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".[1][2] Beginning in the 2010s, it came to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities such as sexism, and has also been used as shorthand for American Left ideas involving identity politics and social justice, such as the notion of white privilege and slavery reparations for African Americans.“ (Wikipedia).

The opposite of ‘woke’ is ‘fascist’.

Newsthump have a handy mug you can buy...
woke-definition-mug-updated-510x598.jpg

https://shop.newsthump.com/product/woke-definition-mug/

Nice satire from Borowitz. Last sentence qualifies as quote of the week!

WILMINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Lawyers scouring President Biden’s garage in Wilmington, Delaware, have been unable to find any plans to overthrow the United States government through a violent insurrection, the lawyers have reported.

In addition, the lawyers said, a thorough search had not turned up any instructions to subvert election results by spreading baseless claims about voter fraud or by promoting slates of fake electors.

“If, in searching President Biden’s garage, we had uncovered evidence of plans to end democracy as we know it—or, for that matter, proof of systematic tax fraud spanning a period of many years—we would have informed Attorney General Garland immediately,” the lawyers’ official statement read.

The lawyers revealed that they did discover plans to build a Jacuzzi and a barrel sauna on the President’s deck but said that they would not be forwarding those documents to the Department of Justice.

In Washington, House Republicans flatly rejected the lawyers’ account. “The American people are sick and tired of President Biden being less than honest with them,” Rep. George Santos said.

advertisement

Back