advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

How many in the party do you think are genuinely anti-fascism and will vote against the far-right extremism and grift we have come to expect from the GOP of late? For example to stand against blocking or subverting due legal process etc? From this remote distance every last one is a coward and will just nod through any corrupt attempt to get Trump, the Jan 6th terrorists, the election tamperers etc off the hook. Party first, everything else a very distant second. I’m not seeing any of this lot really standing up for American democracy the way say Liz Cheney did.
Agree, all identifiable Liz Cheneys have been kicked out.

George Santos seems fairly typical GOP. Far-right white supremacist imagery etc. It really is no exaggeration to call these people fascists. The ideology riddles the party to the extent anyone who is not overtly fascist cowers from those who are.

PS Very similar to the way ERG/UKIP has seized the UK Conservative Party. Far-right nationalist ideology is rooted firmly in the mainstream now. All moderates were purged by Johnson prior to 2019. All that remained were extremists and cowards.

How many in the party do you think are genuinely anti-fascism and will vote against the far-right extremism and grift we have come to expect from the GOP of late? For example to stand against blocking or subverting due legal process etc? From this remote distance every last one is a coward and will just nod through any corrupt attempt to get Trump, the Jan 6th terrorists, the election tamperers etc off the hook. Party first, everything else a very distant second. I’m not seeing any of this lot really standing up for American democracy the way say Liz Cheney did.

I don’t have a number, but likely no more than a dozen or so. They are still Republicans, they still oppose progressive legislation, but there are some who still seem relatively sane (i.e., they still claim to believe in democracy and governing). But whether they give in to the insurrectionists, or fight back, remains to be seen.

I did notice that only one Republican, Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, showed up for the Jan 6 memorial a couple of days ago. Says it all IMO.

I’m sure we’ll get it here in time. The far-right are definitely on the move. Bannon is involved with most bad things in this world and shit like Farage, Yaxley Lennon, Jayda The Racist etc will be right up for it. I suspect will some of the fringe-nutters in the Tory party/ERG and the gutter press will happily follow them in. It is certainly a global thing.

I don’t think the far right has nearly enough traction to do this in the uk. You’d get a medium sized, poorly armed mob at best and the Tories don’t need a coup given they can rely on Labour losing an election sooner rather than later. Also name me some Tory MPs ideologically committed enough to Fascism to potentially go to jail and lose their extremely wealthy, privileged life in an attempted coup that has a minuscule chance of working?

I don’t think the far right has nearly enough traction to do this in the uk. You’d get a medium sized, poorly armed mob at best and the Tories don’t need a coup given they can rely on Labour losing an election sooner rather than later. Also name me some Tory MPs ideologically committed enough to Fascism to potentially go to jail and lose their extremely wealthy, privileged life in an attempted coup that has a minuscule chance of working?

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon? He seems to be the nearest equivalent in the UK.

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon? He seems to be the nearest equivalent in the UK.

Farage is the biggest risk. He’s been waiting in the wings for years and is very well connected to Bannon, Trump, MAGA, Jan 6th etc. His polite English public school fascism and faked man in pub demeanour brought us Brexit so we shouldn’t underestimate his power. He is right in the thick of this.

PS This is very good:

It is great to see MSNBC not flinching and calling their fascists fascists. There is a dangerous tendency in the UK, no matter how far in we get, no matter how far the Overton Window is shifted, to think it just can’t happen here and to not call out the ideology and behaviour when we see it. This has to stop IMHO. We need to identify it, spotlight it, and be prepared to fight it with fire if necessary. It is exactly what it is.

Allen Weisselberg: ex-Trump finance chief given five months for tax fraud

Weisselberg, 75, pleaded guilty to 15 tax crimes and agreed to testify against Trump Organization after being arrested in 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...nization-allen-weisselberg-tax-fraud-sentence

One down, I do hope the rest of em topple like skittles.

unfortunately he chose to be the fall guy for Trump. It should have been Trump in jail because Weisselberg was basically carrying out Trump’s orders.

A fascinating article in the NYT, in which two of its conservative columnists, David Brooks and Brett Stephens, discuss the party they once supported, but with which neither now identifies:

In so many ways those two are worse than the MAGA loons. The column basically translates as "we want to do despicable things but we would rather do it in a way that retains a pretense of civility and decency and now the GOP won't let us do that anymore so we are pissed off as our group will never have political power".

In so many ways those two are worse than the MAGA loons. The column basically translates as "we want to do despicable things but we would rather do it in a way that retains a pretense of civility and decency and now the GOP won't let us do that anymore so we are pissed off as our group will never have political power".

The other aspect of this sorry mess that the likes of David Brooks appear to ignore is that the policies that he's spent years promoting, the policies that have led to huge wealth and opportunity disparities, are directly responsible for the dangerous populism that the GOP is now chaneling.

With the second batch of classified documents now found, it looks as if Biden is at risk of blowing up the Trump classified documents case. I know it is a false equivalence, but the Republicans will have a field day and the issue may now become too politically charged. I hope Garland has the strength to stay the course, but I have some doubts.

Way to go, Biden.

With the second batch of classified documents now found, it looks as if Biden is at risk of blowing up the Trump classified documents case. I know it is a false equivalence, but the Republicans will have a field day and the issue may now become too politically charged. I hope Garland has the strength to stay the course, but I have some doubts.

Way to go, Biden.
Sad but true. The "optics" are not good.

Sad but true. The "optics" are not good.
Could this be an opportune moment for Biden to announce that he won't run again in 2024? Do the honourable thing, mea culpa, buck stops here and fall on his sword? It would provide time for a new candidate to rise and it would be a total contrast to the behavior of Trump.

advertisement

Back