advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Interesting movement today with round 12. McCarthy lost again, but 14 of the 21 insurrectionists flipped, leaving just 7 hard core never-Kevins.

There is no reporting on what price McCarthy paid for those flipped votes, or what it will take to flip 3 of the remaining 7 and win the speakership.

I’m sure he’ll have paid a very high price for the 14 terrorist votes, he is a remarkably corrupt and unpleasant person. Hopefully it will all cause further rifts and splits over time.

I'm sure when finally elected, he'll be so deeply in the pocket of the nutters he'll never see the light of day.

No doubt. Suspect they are close to the end, and at least 3 of the remaining insurrectionists will capitulate soon.

In the end, these extremist idiots will fail for one major reason: no plan b. They never put forward an alternative candidate who a) wanted the job, b) had the necessary skills and experience, and c) was popular enough to win a majority of votes. In other words, it was never about electing a different leader. It was all about creating chaos and grabbing headlines by repeatedly airing their absurd grievances.

Er, yay.

I think?

Cue plenty of re-runs of him making desperate, fearful calls during the Jan 6th insurrection, then correctly declaring Trump should be held responsible and insisting he would call him to tell him to resign...........followed by the now legendary arse-kissing trip down to Florida to beg for Trump's forgiveness and future endorsement.

A true patriot and hero of democracy. Well worth a Capitol Building oil painting.

I’d like to know which of the Trump/QAnon terrorists and conspiracy theorists flipped and what exactly they were paid for doing so. Hopefully this is a remarkably fragile alliance that will be largely dysfunctional. I’d hope a few would actually be removed over the term as they face the consequences for their part in the Jan 6th armed insurrection.

If this 'one person can trigger an ouster vote' thing must be a house rule, it must be voted on, right? Or else what is it, a speaker's perrogative....?

If this 'one person can trigger an ouster vote' thing must be a house rule, it must be voted on, right? Or else what is it, a speaker's perrogative....?

Yes. The first thing they do after electing a speaker is approve a new set of house rules which will happen (I guess) on Monday. Once they have the agreed rules for the new congress they set up all the committees and then they can get on with the important business of arguing about Hunter Biden's laptop.

Yes. The first thing they do after electing a speaker is approve a new set of house rules which will happen (I guess) on Monday. Once they have the agreed rules for the new congress they set up all the committees and then they can get on with the important business of arguing about Hunter Biden's laptop.
Not to mention prosecuting Dr. Anthony Fauci for doing his job.

I’d like to know which of the Trump/QAnon terrorists and conspiracy theorists flipped and what exactly they were paid for doing so. Hopefully this is a remarkably fragile alliance that will be largely dysfunctional. I’d hope a few would actually be removed over the term as they face the consequences for their part in the Jan 6th armed insurrection.

Some of them voted "Present", which allows them to still tell their constituents that they didn't vote fore McCarthy. This sort of abstention changes the math of the vote count and allows a win with a smaller majority.

Now that McCarthy is speaker, the debate on rules should be interesting. Dems had no interest in helping moderate Republicans with their speaker race, but they might support them by voting for a less extreme version of the new rules. Would royally piss off the remaining insurrectionists (who voted present), but could be in McCarthy’s longer term interest.

Now that McCarthy is speaker, the debate on rules should be interesting. Dems had no interest in helping moderate Republicans with their speaker race, but they might support them by voting for a less extreme version of the new rules. Would royally piss off the remaining insurrectionists (who voted present), but could be in McCarthy’s longer term interest.
The Dems can make a deal with McCarthy for more reasonable rules and they work together and pass the budget. Or they can actually vote for the crazy rules and let the extremists have McCarthy as their puppet and block everything. That might be good for the Dems in 2024. But I think the first strategy is better if it would work. Might be asking more of McCarthy than he can deliver, however....

The Dems can make a deal with McCarthy for more reasonable rules and they work together and pass the budget. Or they can actually vote for the crazy rules and let the extremists have McCarthy as their puppet and block everything. That might be good for the Dems in 2024. But I think the first strategy is better if it would work. Might be asking more of McCarthy than he can deliver, however....

No confidence McCarthy will ever grow a spine and fight back. A shutdown seems inevitable, and defaulting very possible. But yes, the silver lining in all this madness will be 2024.

No confidence McCarthy will ever grow a spine and fight back. A shutdown seems inevitable, and defaulting very possible. But yes, the silver lining in all this madness will be 2024.
Will it, though? My knowledge of US politics is sketchy, but I thought much of the criticism of Obama (‘talked a good talk, delivered little’) was because his initiatives got blocked by Republicans, so delivery wasn’t possible. Is it different this time?

Will it, though? My knowledge of US politics is sketchy, but I thought much of the criticism of Obama (‘talked a good talk, delivered little’) was because his initiatives got blocked by Republicans, so delivery wasn’t possible. Is it different this time?

Similar situation now, but possibly worse. The house remains obstructionist, but their internal dysfunction, their current lack of a dependable majority, makes it very hard for them to pass anything. That includes passing a budget or raising the debt ceiling.

I’ll be surprised if they manage to pass their rules package tomorrow. As pissed off as the 21 insurrectionists were before the speaker vote, there are even more moderates who now feel betrayed. They have no idea what McCarthy agreed to in private to win those 21 votes.

Recall that if the Republicans lose just 5 votes, then their motions fail. That’s what happened when McCarthy tried to ram the rules vote in very late at night, right after winning the speaker vote. He wanted no review or debate from moderates. So much for ushering in his promise of legislative transparency!

Reactions: PsB
I’ll be surprised if they manage to pass their rules package tomorrow. As pissed off as the 21 insurrectionists were before the speaker vote, there are even more moderates who now feel betrayed. They have no idea what McCarthy agreed to in private to win those 21 votes.

How many in the party do you think are genuinely anti-fascism and will vote against the far-right extremism and grift we have come to expect from the GOP of late? For example to stand against blocking or subverting due legal process etc? From this remote distance every last one is a coward and will just nod through any corrupt attempt to get Trump, the Jan 6th terrorists, the election tamperers etc off the hook. Party first, everything else a very distant second. I’m not seeing any of this lot really standing up for American democracy the way say Liz Cheney did.

advertisement

Back