advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/politics/supreme-court-trump-taxes-vance/index.html

xpopcorn.gif

US historian Heather Cox Richardson writes a daily letter, to which I've subscribed, and which I find interesting. Today's (dated 21 February) is scary:

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/

It shows that the delusion is deeply rooted, and how difficult it will be to remove it, short of a major conflagration.

If the hypothesis in the article is correct, the GOP's strategy to turn away from democracy was rooted as far back as 1986. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but that seems to make a lot of sense - if the numbers and demographics don't look they're going in your favour long terms, then you've either got to change your policies, or change the process. There's a lot of cultural baggage there that will be very difficult for them to unload, even if they choose to.

If the hypothesis in the article is correct, the GOP's strategy to turn away from democracy was rooted as far back as 1986. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but that seems to make a lot of sense - if the numbers and demographics don't look they're going in your favour long terms, then you've either got to change your policies, or change the process. There's a lot of cultural baggage there that will be very difficult for them to unload, even if they choose to.
The timing coincides with what happened at 47.08 here:

https://thoughtmaybe.com/the-power-of-nightmares/

Very educational. I wonder how the GOP die-hards would view the close alignment between the views of the Musim fundamentalists and their own :)

The Conservative Political Action Committee meets soon in Florida, under the title "America Uncanceled" (leading to the proofreader in me underlining 'uncanceled' in red, and scribbling in the margin 'uncancelled' ...)

Their theme is rather undermined by the fact that they've just cancelled one of their projected speakers, on account of anti-semitic remarks made in the lead-up to the event...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...america-uncanceled-speaker-jews-b1805950.html

Yup. Got it. Thank You for captioning the obvious.
Me not American. Me not US-based. I proofreads like what the Brit I am.

What is it with some Brits and the constant need to point out American spelling "errors" ? Brits pride themselves on being less parochial than Americans, with some justification, and yet by implying that American spelling is less correct than British spelling they appear parochial themselves.

Yup. Got it. Thank You for captioning the obvious.

Me not American. Me not US-based. I proofreads like what the Brit I am.

I'm sorry to have upset you. I thought maybe you didn't know. As an American in England, I didn't actually know that here 'll' is used in such words and it is something that I try to catch in my own writing here (words like "signalling/signaling" and "modelling/modeling" come up frequently in my work). So, I thought, as a (presumably, at the time of my comment, but confirmed by your response) British person criticising American spelling, you might not actually be aware of the difference.

If such a comment wound you up so much and made you feel so defensive, I suggest maybe logging out and going for a walk.

Really, dudes, there’s only one accepted standard for English.

Canadian English.

Americans leave the u out of words like colour and honour, and the British spell jail and curb wrong.

Joe

What is it with some Brits and the constant need to point out American spelling "errors" ? Brits pride themselves on being less parochial than Americans, with some justification, and yet by implying that American spelling is less correct than British spelling they appear parochial themselves.
The interesting thing is that the US has often retained the original spellings of words ("realize") - it's the British who have changed.

Reactions: PsB
First I've heard of that. I was taught to spell it 'cancelled.' Educated in US, but that's like 50 years ago....

Interesting. Maybe there are regional differences too?

Also, typing here in this text box the following words: canceled cancelled modeled modelled signaled signalled, only "modelled" and "signalled" are underlined by the spellchecker as misspelled in US English.

Anyway how many of these words had truly been standardized before the time the spellings began to diverge? English spelling was still rather fluid in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Anyway how many of these words had truly been standardized before the time the spellings began to diverge? English spelling was still rather fluid in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Some British people were using the 'honor' and 'color' spellings well into the 19th century.

Interesting. Maybe there are regional differences too?

Also, typing here in this text box the following words: canceled cancelled modeled modelled signaled signalled, only "modelled" and "signalled" are underlined by the spellchecker as misspelled in US English.
A number of sources are agreeing that 'canceled' is how an American is supposed to spell it. Maybe I just learned it incorrectly. My Microsoft spellcheck seems to accept it either way.

This interesting discussion points out that there's no consistency to be had anywhere on this stuff: https://blogs.transparent.com/english/seeing-double-in-american-english-and-british-english/

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back