advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's completely bizarre. I can understand him saying that the impeachment shouldn't go ahead, because Trump was an ex-President, but AFAIK, he actually voted for the trial to proceed, then voted to acquit Trump because the trial was unconstitutional, then said, 'But Trump was guilty anyway'.
Three heads facing in different directions then?

Impeachment charge was abuse of power

Case against Trump was that he was responsible for the attack on the Capitol

Mitch McConnell votes to acquit Trump for being responsible for the attack

Mitch McConnell then says Trump was “practically and morally responsible” for his supports attack.

As an adjudicator in the impeachment, Mitch McConnell’s decision to vote against the evidence that he himself accepts, is a dereliction of duty and an abuse of power

If McConnell votes to acquit when he knows the defendant is guilty, isn’t he guilty of a perversion of justice?

I guess he could argue that his vote to acquit was on a technicality (Trump no longer President) rather than on the evidence presented.

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1360706177437343748

EuIzDlEVIAA2xrS

I guess he could argue that his vote to acquit was on a technicality (Trump no longer President) rather than on the evidence presented.
I think that was exactly it, that there were no grounds for impeaching an ex-President. Several other Republican senators said the same thing. One said that, just because the majority said it was legal, it was not incumbent on him to agree with it. Of course, he guaranteed this by not holding a Senate trial until Trump was no longer in office.

McConnell is not a complete idiot; he can see the danger that Trump and Trumpism means to the Republican Party and its future, and he is gambling on post-Presidential legal proceedings tarnishing the already-damaged Trump brand so completely that he will no longer represent a problem. To me, this seems badly to underestimate Trump's cult-like following, which Trump will no doubt continue to inflame. I anticipate Trump continuing to hold rallies between rounds of golf.

When interviewed about it last night, Mitch McConnell said something along the lines of that this is now a legal issue that needs to take its course. The Republican Party is distancing themselves from Trump (holding your nose can only work for so long before) and all that will happen between now and the next election is that Trump will continue to be an irritant.

Donal Trump Jr said the the Republican Party belongs to his father.

The Republican’s have voted to prove him right

I think that was exactly it, that there were no grounds for impeaching an ex-President. Several other Republican senators said the same thing. One said that, just because the majority said it was legal, it was not incumbent on him to agree with it.

Once the Senate had ruled that trying an impeached ex-president was constitutional the Senators were free to disagree with this decision but if they did, they should have also abstained from the vote on the merits. The point of splitting the (absurd) constitutional question and the impeachment charges was to force people to vote on the merits and remove this get out.

Of course the point is that McConnell and the GOP are acting wholly in bad faith, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't stop pointing out the contradictions of their position as often as possible.

Lost the popular vote yesterday as well as in the elections.

57 to 43, if it had been a simple 50% majority vote, he would have been found guilty, but he gets by on the technicality of the 2/3rds majority required.

It's completely bizarre. I can understand him saying that the impeachment shouldn't go ahead, because Trump was an ex-President, but AFAIK, he actually voted for the trial to proceed, then voted to acquit Trump because the trial was unconstitutional, then said, 'But Trump was guilty anyway'.

He is trying to assure Republican donors that his "core" Republican party is actually sane, and will not promote further unrest.

Of course the point is that McConnell and the GOP are acting wholly in bad faith, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't stop pointing out the contradictions of their position as often as possible.

I suspect some of the motivation behind the way the GOP acted was making a point to the Democrats that they are *not* fully in charge of things.

I also suspect that Trump was tolerated despite not doing what the Republicans expected The President to do because he was a winner who brought in lots of voters; that's changed.

I suspect some of the motivation behind the way the GOP acted was making a point to the Democrats that they are *not* fully in charge of things.

I also suspect that Trump was tolerated despite not doing what the Republicans expected The President to do because he was a winner who brought in lots of voters; that's changed.

Hmm, I think that's a very charitable view of their conduct. It seems to me much more likely that they are exactly as it says on the tin and just a bunch of immoral grifters and extremists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back