Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Brexit Shipping

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Central Audio, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

Really sorry for that as a Brit, I certainly didn't vote for it for that exact reason.

Seems those who did vote for it are surprised by all the extra charges and general hassle...

suzywong and Darren like this.
  2. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

UPS lost a parcel I sent to Ireland in March. Somehow it stopped moving in France. I am still waiting for UPS to give me a refund so I can send it on to the unfortunate buyer of my Cambridge 640P. This is the first time I had a parcel sent by me go AWOL.

3. Howdy

Howdy pfm Member

Update: finally delivered.

11/3/2021 sent
    23/3/2021 arrived in UK
    26/4/2021 Released from customs and received at Coventry depot
    13/5/2021 delivered

I hope the way back will be less complicated.

Rosewind likes this.
  4. paulc

paulc Registered User

Got a call to say my new speakers ordered at the start of May were ready on 26th May and were ready for shipping. Tracking tells me they were picked up on 10th June In Brilon Germany, moved 100km east and sat for a few days, then back 300km west to Monchengladbach they again sat for a few days, where last Thursday they were ‘loaded’. No sign since….Due to be delivered last Friday….

Reading some of the posts above is not encouraging. You have to feel for the dealers trying to work around this and not have order’s cancelled. With this experience, I’ll more likely buy from stock or used next time…

5. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

It seems to work both ways. I bought a spare part (B&O as it happens!) from an eBay seller in Germany back in May and he did warn that he's had problems sending stuff to the UK.

According to the DHL tracking my package was processed by DHL in Germany on May 27th and has gone precisely nowhere since.

6. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Oh dear. A real mess indeed Adam.

7. Darren

Darren All Business

Sadly, I've had to stop shipping to all my Irish customers. Its just too hard and too expensive now. The idiots who voted for Brexit and thought that the same level of trade would continue have a lot to answer for.

Phil Bishop likes this.
  8. Darren

Darren All Business

Quite why they are surprised is beyond comprehension.

9. Howdy

Howdy pfm Member

Well, for me the amp in question
    11/3/2021 sent to Witch Hat
    23/3/2021 arrived in UK
    26/4/2021 Released from customs and received at Coventry depot
    13/5/2021 delivered

Arrived back from Witch Hat via UPS in totally decent time-frame of 1 week, including customs formalities, with no hiccups. Longer than before 1/1/2021, but reasonable.

10. FrancisClement

FrancisClement pfm Member

The most economical way to ship if it is a small packet is good old GPO (whoever they are now) or national post offices. I am in Spain and have had success buying and selling small items since January. I bought a camera body from Japan at £80 and there were no VAT or customs charges at all. Buyers need to check that national postal services are being used and sellers need to use them especially for cables, cartridges and arms. Couriers are screwing everyone else as far as I can tell and EBay's own system via Lichfield is even worse.

FF

11. Phil Bishop

Phil Bishop pfm Member

Daughter is in Italy and she might as well be on Mars regards sending anything to her.

Sending to non-EU countries is becoming simpler than EU countries.

It was always going to be a horrendous mess.

tonerei likes this.
  12. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Yes the morons certainly dropped a mighty stink bomb when they cast their vote for freedom. Betcha a lot of stay at home voters regret not exercised their democratic right at that referendum. Sleep walking the UK into obscurity and neutering their children's opportunities into the future.

Phil Bishop and chartz like this.
  13. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Something I couldn’t see in the deal is the fact that the European states do make a huge profit on UK imports.
    I was stung by the French customs for € 100 on just one parcel (a gift).
    They actually threatened me to send the box back to England if I did not pay. Legal advice told me this was a normal — and sorry — state of affairs.
    Never again.
    What a bunch if idiots the EU governments are too for signing this stupid deal: you lose, we lose!
    Maggie once destroyed Britain and Bojo is improving on her mistakes. Great.

14. kenniGT

kenniGT pfm Member

And who voted to have deals like this in first place? ;D

15. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

I understand the imports from China will now face the same type of charges. That I can understand as it might ultimately end up in more jobs coming back to the EU. It has been great ordering stuff from China that is way more expensive over here and getting it with no post charges but it does come at a cost. Whether doing this makes any difference to how things play out over the coming decades only time will tell.

chartz likes this.
  16. bruss

bruss pfm Member

I’m confused re the charges that some people are reporting. The EU is not a country and customs duty and vat are applied according to the rules of each individual country. For countries outside the EU, France does not charge either VAT or customs duty on gifts below 43 euro. France does not apply vat on purchases with a value of less than 145 euro. Forms do have to be filled in and attached to the parcel, and most couriers charge a handling fee for dealing with these forms. The UK post office wasn’t charging a handling fee in 2020 ( the last time I had something sent) but I’m not up to date on that this year. It doesn't help many of us of course with our expensive second hand hifi but those limits are in place still, although going in to the UK I believe the exemption for gifts and small amounts has been changed from July 2021.
    The major change apart from the cost is the delay in parcels in transit and waiting for clearance. I’ve had anything between 5 days and 3 and a half weeks in both directions.

17. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

eBay Global Shipping Program is very good. I sent an amp to the Netherlands which got lost when it landed and compensation was paid quickly and without issue.

18. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i get my cd`s from holland , seems faster than ever which is rather surprising considering all the comments one hears , shipping costs have risen massively