advertisement

possible to identify these KEF's from a very poor photo?

jamesd

pfm Member
00j0j_9WOuRUI93u1_1200x900.jpg

i'm picking these up this evening along with a nakamichi receiver and tape deck for $150 USD (seller says it's all in like new condition). Can anyone identify them from the photo?

I've been trying to keep my eye out for small monitors for a second room/background music.

I'm sure the speakers will be grateful to be liberated from that vile wallpaper.

Although the dimensions look very Concord III / IV / Model 304, all of these had the all-round grill cloth that covered all vertical sides of the enclosure including the backs (with rectangular end caps fitted top and bottom).

They might be a pair of Carlton II.

I was going to suggest Reference 102/2, but I thought no way for $150., let alone with a Nakamichi receiver and deck included.

What models are the Naks, btw?

I was going to suggest Reference 102/2, but I thought no way for $150., let alone with a Nakamichi receiver and deck included.

What models are the Naks, btw?

Receiver 3 and CassetteDeck 2. The metal speaker stands seem pretty nice.

Is the 102/2 one of the models that use the Kube equaliser?

Last edited:
CxOPcqr.jpg

The manual says there was an optional Kube 200 equalizer

Quickly set them up just to get them out of the way and only listened to one track, but they seem pretty bass light and there’s a coloration in the midrange that I don’t have the knowledge to describe.

Quickly set them up just to get them out of the way and only listened to one track, but they seem pretty bass light and there’s a coloration in the midrange that I don’t have the knowledge to describe.
They are designed to be positioned close to a room boundary, preferably the back wall. That should fill out both the bass and lower mids.

If that bass driver goes, what do you do?
The most likely thing to go first will be the foam surround(s) on the inner 'coupled cavity' driver(s). An easy repair that I wouldn't worry about until such time as they go off.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back