advertisement

Possible House Move: Storing Hi-Fi/CDs

boneman

pfm Member
We may need to move in mid-Jan and the first stop would be temporary which means putting stuff in storage. I have all the original packing/boxes for my hi-fi gear and something to put CDs in but none of the storage companies I'm finding mention any temperature control. Anyone have any experience with storing hifi kit and media? Does it need temp control or is just inside and dry enough?

Dry is the key. I’d avoid outdoor metal containers etc in case they heat up/cool down significantly in winter sun (should there be any) causing condensation. I’d expect a warehouse facility to be more stable.

Take a small unit at somewhere like Big Yellow and choose a unit to the centre of the building. It will be both dry and at a constant temperature. My clients have stored their sound/video kit and CD merchandise like this for years with no problems. The workshops/ warehouses of AV and sound companies with £££ millions of kit in them are not temperature controlled. Do make sure you have insurance for the value of the kit.

Maybe buy a bucketload of silica gel sachets and distribute them in your boxed up kit.

Be aware also of the risk of putting cold soaked CDs into a player in a humid, warm domestic environment. A good way to introduce moisture to the innards of the mech. Let your CDs warm up and stabilise before playing.

Take a small unit at somewhere like Big Yellow and choose a unit to the centre of the building. It will be both dry and at a constant temperature. My clients have stored their sound/video kit and CD merchandise like this for years with no problems. The workshops/ warehouses of AV and sound companies with £££ millions of kit in them are not temperature controlled. Do make sure you have insurance for the value of the kit.

Yes this. Plus get insurance from a provider other than the storage company (very expensive!). Just google self storage insurance, Surewise seem pretty good.

I've stored stuff in garages and lofts before ... always feel a bit clammy. Storage units though (rooms inside a warehouse) always dry as a bone.

An insulated container with power supply for a dehumidifier will work if you can arrange that anywhere.

I've got one that's been storing maps ok for 15 years now.

I've got loads of room in my studio unless you have ridiculous amounts of gear, providing you box it all up
you can store it there for for as long as you need.

The reputable storage companies have far too much to lose by damaging stuff, and they store a lot of more sensitive material than consumer electronics and CDs in cases.

advertisement

Back