advertisement

Ports and subs

Bloke

First post. Hope you can help. I have gone and bought a couple of subs to go with my Dynaudio Focus 110s. At the back, the ports can each be filled with a foam bung. Would I be better off doing this when I am installing the subs?
P.S the subs are from BK.
Thanks

It's a case of experimenting to be honest. As posted above, it's largely room, placement and taste dependant.

The foam will reduce any chuffing of the port, but will lower volumes at lower frequencies. As above it depends how the port reacts to the room.

One of the Linn engineers advised a while ago that ports should be blocked when a sub was used (and also to reverse the phase of the speaker) but that was specific to their model. In my own room I use with ports open because I prefer the way it sounds. Personally I'd just follow your ears and take some time with a broad range of music.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I have also ordered dspeaker dual core to install as well. Lots of things to change in one go.

Sealing the ports will raise the low frequency cut-off of your Dyns, and create a shallower roll-off typical of closed-box systems. If you can adjust the upper (low pass) roll off of the subs to complement the Dyns, I believe that would be preferable.

Use your ears, and trust their preference.

Do nothing with the subs barring level and crossover, let the dspeaker handle all your boomy bass issues if there are any , it will do so.
Use the sub in a corner or against a wall , you want the Dspeaker to cut (it wont boost) and in corners or against walls , the sub will have more LF energy due to room gain and will allow the Dspeaker to do a more effective job.
The Dspeaker , depending how you set it up , will see subs and speakers as a whole system , this is what you want , ie use it as close to the digital source as possible.

Corner placement Is always a good starting point for dual subs as it maximises the room gain, then the FR filters in the Anti Mode can cut rather than boost (which is better and leads to a more linear speaker/sub crossover sound when you play the room sweep). FWIW my ported ATC100s roll off neatly with the unported ATC Sub pair just a notch up at 30Hz, they were designed to work together so I decided not to use the DSP but implement convolution as a plug in Using BruteFIR) on the mixing desk. The Anti Mode DSP is a very similar convolution engine dedicated to running more or less the same FR algorithms and will do a pretty good job of blending the speaker systems.

Fun times, you may be asked to move subs in places that frankly ought not to work, but sound better but are in the way, goes with the territory. I still want to try a 4x sub array array just for the 4-point 3 way plus 20Hz experience. In a big enough room, sub bass = non directional my ass!

I've never got on with ported speakers, they can seem impressive at first blush till one day you realise they are faking it.

Subs if well balanced can be very good.

The room and what's in it will play a major role.

Im using what could be called a 6 sub array at the moment and using AcourateDRC to measure and to generate the 6000 tap FIR filters , then overlaying a 6 band PEQ over it all..using the MiniDSP openDRC-Di as the hardware convolver etc..
In fact on Thursday evening , I have the local hifi club coming over and we are going to compare the Antimode to this.

Hehehehe - I know EXACTLY what you mean , but our local club consists of mainly laid back folk who come for the eats (I supply finger food platters) and the social aspects.
It's not a phalanx of old anal farts ..

Just lay a bolt gun on the table and remind them of the consequences of the monkey crap dance

Well both subs are wired in and just more or less trying to set them by ear. Listening to Ry Cooder and it sounds good. Definitely better having two rather than one. Try the DSP at the weekend.

advertisement

Back