advertisement

portraits of your city

Having visited a few times on business, love the place: when last there a year ago, I was given the numbers of 7M people, 10M mopeds...

.... and I took this pic a decade ago! Yes, the objects in the mirror had got even closer since...
DSCF4952_1024px.jpg
According to Transport Department statistics reported by Thanh Nien (in 2016), Saigon is home to 7.43 million registered motorbikes and increasing by 750 new motorbikes a day. So, there are more or less 8 million motorbikes now in Saigon if I am correct.

Last edited:
According to Transport Department statistics reported by Thanh Nien (in 2016), Saigon is home to 7.43 million registered motorbikes and increasing by 750 new motorbikes a day. So, there are more or less 8 million motorbikes now in Saigon if I am correct.

Impressive. I understand these are a cheap (motorized) way of getting about. Probably for most the only way of having motorized transport. However, I remember reading somewhere that 2 stroke engines are some of the biggest polluters in transport.

Someone will probably prove me wrong.

29528886828_9151fa4d9b_b.jpg

Nikon D3, AF Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 FL/E+TC20EII, with B+W Kassemann Pol. Hosted on Flickr.

Northern Suburbs midwinter midday. The suburb of Khandallah, 15 minutes north of the city, elevated above the harbour, basks in the low-angle sunshine on a clear winter's day in Wellington, New Zealand. A variety of houses crowded into a small valley at the southern end of of the suburb, bordering Ngaio. Why the government built state housing out of brick (1940's) in an earthquake risk zone, I'll never know!
I've been trialling a TC-20E II 2x teleconverter that I picked up cheaply, learning about its impact and usability. This shot at 70mm (140mm); I should have removed the converter and shot again at 140mm for comparison.

29528768808_d8102f1aa1_k.jpg

Nikon D3, AF Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 FL/E with B+W Kassemann Pol, multi-image pano. Hosted on Flickr.

Wellington "city" and harbour, from the north, shooting across the suburb of Wadestown in the foreground. A bright, clear, mid-winter's day. The Cake Tin (more officially the Westpac Stadium), sits on reclaimed land between the port and and rail yards, on the edge of the central business district. As you can see, Wellingtonians will (or indeed must) build pretty much anywhere there's a small slash of land on the side of a hill.

That looks like a Vietnamese military uniform to me, but I'm not an expert.
My take on Hội An is a bit different:

29105545948_1c040ff95b_c.jpg

I've been to Hoi An twice; the first time I wen't there were only a couple of guest houses and the locals still occupied the large majority of the buildings.
Now it's all a bit ruined by tourism...
These, taken on my second visit, were scanned from slide film:

tumblr_o1isqi6xde1uvqnfvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o148exPWTn1uvqnfvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o148df9BoY1uvqnfvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0ut7zXCVE1uvqnfvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0sqir9uTJ1uvqnfvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_outgo9A8zQ1uvqnfvo1_1280.jpg

How I miss travelling...

https://alqantara.tumblr.com

I've been to Hoi An twice; the first time I wen't there were only a couple of guest houses and the locals still occupied the large majority of the buildings.
Now it's all a bit ruined by tourism...
These, taken on my second visit, were scanned from slide film:

I agree I have been three times - the first in the 1990s we travelled the whole length of Vietnam north to south (top third by rail, middle third by road and last third by rail) - Hoi An was one of my favourite places. The last time I was there about 5 years ago, I was disappointed to find it overrun and over developed, the beach that was so pristine, and so empty was now strewn with litter (including used syringes).......horrible place these days......

this picture is not my city, but one I visited last weekend. I am not sure I can "imagine peace" any more

20180721_111453 by uh_simon, on Flickr

advertisement

Back