advertisement

Ported or sealed box speakers. Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer? Ported or sealed box speakers?

• Ported

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Sealed box

Votes: 58 43.6%
  • No Preference

Votes: 54 40.6%

• Total voters
To me, this question is much like the solid state versus tube, or analog versus digital. Arguments for each and every choice, along with tons of engineering arguments on why one sounds-or should sound better. I used to find it somewhat interesting, or even amusing. But now, I buy what I like regardless of a specific technology, and spend way more time listening or digging for new music. I like that better these days. So, I voted No Preference.

Ported, but it has to be tuned properly.

My (own designed) speakers use a port and they are totally silent / never chuffed regardless of how hard they are pushed.

I've voted ported as I've never owned sealed boxes, maybe someone will tell me what I've been missing out on all this time

A port (as a TL) is a crutch which allows more extension and higher sensitivity from a smaller box at the expense of tonal discrimination and transient response and group delay.
It produces a resonance, like blowing across the mouth of a bottle, not really what you want for reproducing plucked strings or percussive sound from a piano or tympani.
It may not be objectionable if operating at a low enough frequency (≤30Hz).

Last edited:
I've voted ported as I've never owned sealed boxes, maybe someone will tell me what I've been missing out on all this time

Maybe have a listen? :)
I ran moderately large floor-stander sealed for over 30 years , listened to a few others in-between. Now very much enjoying large Tannoy ported, the first that have bettered the sealed.

My favourite generalization is "generalizations are never true". However I will generalize, from nowhere near as much experience as some on here.
  • For small loudspeakers driving a small room or used near-field then sealed.
  • For large loudspeakers driving a large room then ported, as long as the porting is tuned low-Q for power handling rather than bass extension.

What would you class as a small speaker though? mine are 21.5L (internal volume) tuned with a low-Q port. 8" Volt BM228.8 with a 185x50mm flared rear port.
20mm braced cabinet with 4mm bitumen dampening all round with 10mm foam and a small amount of wadding in each.

Maybe have a listen? :)
I ran moderately large floor-stander sealed for over 30 years , listened to a few others in-between. Now very much enjoying large Tannoy ported, the first that have bettered the sealed.

I don't think I've ever had the opportunity, I don't really know of any sealed box speakers?

I owned ATC SCM20SLs for a while which are regarded as one of the best smallish sealed designs. Drove them with bags of power but they still didn't quite hit the mark, for me.

I had sealed KEF Celeste IVs which never quite worked right for me
Then Mission 752s which in a small room sounded great, but in a big room sounded wrong
Big TDL TLs sound great, a kind of very low Q port
Tiny sealed MS speakers on my desk also sound good, reflex ports would cause problems close to me and the rear wall

With smaller sealed speakers (JPW Sonatas, AR-18) it seems to depend on the room more than anything. My experience was always best with ported designs (like the Royd Minstrel), in a near field setup.

Regarding larger speakers, I've had Goodmans Magisters and I now have Heco Statement, with triple ports which are tuned very low. In this case the Heco has bass that's more textured, powerful, and that really seem to drive the room.

But I would have thought that in principle sealed bass would always be better.

I actually really enjoy open baffle bass whenever I hear it.

Infinite baffle, rear ported or front ported; maybe even folded horns. As TimF said, in effect, 'how long is a piece of string?' For me, if it's back to the wall, it has to be sealed. Rear ported need lots of free space,; front ported less so. Underneath ported (ProAc, e.g.) is a departure from the norm and maybe more versatile in positioning.

I only have one preference in speakers; big ones ! Has always been the case over 55 years.

Perhaps just different, I have a pair of 70 ltre Tannoy monitor golds, built 1973, which are infinite baffle (sealed). At the time the graph of frequency response v cabinet volume kinked at 2.4 cu ft from quite steep 40 degrees to about 10 degrees (law of diminishing returns). The low transients are fantastic, great for jazz and similar.
Also have Wilmslow Audio k100 (cloned ATC 100s) again hand built (100 litre) cabinets with 100mm ports; not quite the precision of the Tannoys (very marginal) but the bass down to almost sub levels superb for classical music.
Of course it is not a fair comparison, the Tannoys drivers cost £60 in 1973 and those from Wilmslow Audio about £2000 in 1996, the bass and mid range were from ATC. So apples and pears!
The only general conclusion I can draw from my experience is that sealed cabs (infinite baffle) have stunning transients sacrificing a little low frequency response, while ports give a satisfying improvement to LF extension but take take the edge off LF transient performance. The difference is much more distinct than farting about with speaker cables....as long as they are fit for the purpose.
If you are near North Yorks. you could perhaps have a listen?

Flared ported is the best option for my rock and jazz music at both low and high volume.
Nevertheless, some sealed boxes seems to be more in control in the low register when pushed hard.

I voted No Preference as I’ve heard plenty of good and bad examples of both.

If the question had been purely subwoofers, however, I’d have voted Ported, as I’ve not heard any sealed box subwoofer that I’d give house room to.

advertisement

Back