advertisement

Porsche Lovers - where are you?

Porsches do handle well so it's not all about top speed.

What amazes me is all the mental horsepower SUV's out there. Also, apparently you can spend north of £70k on a hot hatch now!!

VGK9cmy.jpeg

Is that just a supply/demand thing? I thought it was "only" about £50k?

... The acceleration is exciting, and makes overtaking safer. ...

As a Porsche man myself I agree to most in the posts here on 'why'. But, you don't use a faster car to do safer overtaking, you use it to do more of them. Which negates the 'safer' part.

IME it’s not Porsche drivers that are the problem, you’ll see worse driving every day from ‘normal’ cars.

I once saw some American statistics that a Corvette was 50 times more dangerous than a Volvo station wagon. Not the car, of course, but the driver inside it. I bet a considerable sum it's the same with Porsche drivers.

997.2 2S here. Bought in 2018 which was pretty good timing.
Opportunities to enjoy the car on public roads are rare for all the reasons mentioned on this thread.
A well organised trackday in your own car on the other hand is a completely different experience.
Here's mine at Donnington.

y4mHuc4djL3WNQeAaaI0O80DU2G1Mc-ImYMnaTm3eRLLr21CkeuZtY8_PQt49G6KMzHz7c82zMBU07jGJ72vPMnNbktyINAroQfkWn1kHlyAYVAZhP1tvMNqZyytwH7W9Cf_UHAitFLdumJs2dT5glSDlF7dZ4sgoG0Gjt6WBRef5ODUsmS_1A37_LK2d4t6Z5j

Until I got my Carrera 2 I would not have believed how docile a PDK 911 could be, however press the sport+ button and the thing shows its Jekyll and Hyde nature. In normal driving mode the gearbox wants to get into as high a gear as possible to improve the economy, but it is nice to know there is ample in reserve if you need to accelerate out of a sticky situation. The GT cars are a different animal all together and way beyond my driving capabilities, speaking of which I must get around to booking a Porsche driving experience as it was supposed to be my 60th Birthday present from the family, but that was just before the pandemic broke out.

Porsches do handle well so it's not all about top speed.

What amazes me is all the mental horsepower SUV's out there. Also, apparently you can spend north of £70k on a hot hatch now!!

VGK9cmy.jpeg

Yup! My SUV has 395bhp. Very happy with it too. Love the engine which some complain is a bit ‘old school’ because the delivery is all at the top of the rev range… but that’s what makes it so much fun! As for those prices, the new RS3s have only just been launched so scalpers are overcharging as they do….

they are excellent i have been on 3 - all freebies my dealer

My brother’s FIL (a retired police driving instructor) is a driver at the one in Siverstone(? IIRC) which means that my brother regularly gets to go. One day I’ll weasel my way in..!

Yes, plenty of idiots in all makes of car. I'm usually the most wary of those tiny little shopping trollies, smallest car in the world and they still have zero spatial awareness.
Lot of truth in that, IME they are more likely to try & squeeze through silly gaps; always unnerves me when cycling.

Maybe the GT4 RS will make the GT4 a little more attainable, or even a GTS. As the "Must have latest shiny" brigade dump their GT4 for one.

Do any Porsche cars have a heated front windscreen?

My newest heats up amazingly quickly so doesn't really need it, probably a light engine.

The eldest (1992) takes about 15 minutes to clear but doesn't go out in bad weather.

I used to have a fan heater and extension lead for the children's cars in winter.

Do any Porsche cars have a heated front windscreen?

My 1987 Porsche has a lever between the seats that you pull up, which sends hot air from around the exhausts into the heating system, there is a fan you switch on for more pressure, then you move the lever on the dashboard to the right to direct it up under the windscreen. Gets rid of fog in about 20 seconds, if the engine is warm. The rear window has little wires running through it.

advertisement

Back