advertisement

Poll: Will Theresa May Trigger Article 50?

Will She trigger Article 50?

• Next year as indicated.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • At some point during her term

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • At no point during her term

Votes: 49 53.3%

• Total voters

maxflinn

pfm Member
OK I know she hasn't won the Tory leadership battle yet, but she's the hot favourite.

She has said she doesn't think it's wise to trigger Article 50 this year.

I don't believe she will do it next year either. I think she's going to try to avoid doing it at all.

So, assuming she wins and doesn't call an election, do you trust her to trigger article 50?

I suspect she'll give the vaguely firm impression that she intends to but kick the can into the next parliament. It will be relatively easy to spend four years 'putting the preperations in place' etc.

Ask the question if / when she wins. What candidates for the leadership of the Tory party will or won't do is probably better in the "who will be the next PM?" thread.

Next poll - will Boris skewer Gove in the next couple of weeks - yes / no.

Ask the question if / when she wins. What candidates for the leadership of the Tory party will or won't do is probably better in the "who will be the next PM?" thread.

I know it's premature but she is the hot favourite. I'm just curious to know how many people believe her when she says the will of the people must be obeyed etc.

Next poll - will Boris skewer Gove in the next couple of weeks - yes / no.

Maybe someone else will skewer Gove. Tories like skewering other Tories :)

I would be interested to know just what mandate she has from the Country to do anything?

Would the general public vote for a remain politician who supports welfare cuts and opposes tax increases for those earning six figures?

The reason she will bottle it, or rather the Tory government will, is that Brexit will hurt them where it hurts most - their wealth. The White, older, less educated who voted for it are only steerage- they can be allowed to go down with the SS. Brexit.

In fact a member of the above demographic on QT has just said he voted out because
" there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians over there an' they're always tellin' us what to do".
My guess is Brexiters all hated school and "hated being told what to do".

^ which is quite ironic because quite a few of Brexiters I was talking to voted out because there are too many Indians and not enough chiefs.

Boris has switched sides! now running for leadership of the Labour party! :D

Very funny but very possible:D Mister Heseltine skewered Boris with what appears to be an off the cuff interview. it was so accurate. What is going on in the UK there must be somebody who can take control and bring you lot back from the brink. Tragic that a group of buffoons and self serving lunatics can create such a mess. Gove looks and acts like a splitting image character. The Labour party are imploding I would be very concerned about this mess dragging on for years. Bring back Tony Blair and his cohorts asap or you are goosed for a generation.

Well, looking at the poll, as PFM was wrong on the referendum and I have been right on everything recently, she''ll go for it as soon as she can.:D

Stephen

I would vote, but there is no option for "The world has gone mad and no rational predictions can be made".

The ONLY way out of invoking article 50 is for the EU to draft some restrictions on freedom of movement, and there have been noises both ways on that issue from the EU.

This was fascinating—this week's Moral Maze on Radio 4 demonstrated just how complex and ill-advised the referendum was.

Giles Fraser appeared astounded that people might be disappointed if immigration doesn't fall—which he doesn't want to happen—as the question was just 'Do you want to stay in or leave the EU?' Having said that his take on leaving was "it'll be OK'.

But it was Melanie Phillips who inadvertently shone a light on the way out of this mess. She said that she believed that the referendum was about 'taking control of our democracy'. OK. Surely now that the UK Government have control, they can decide not to invoke article 50 if they think it would not be in the country's interest?

Thanks Melanie! Get on the phone to May!

Actually, it's pretty clear what those who voted out want to happen. They voted against the Internet! I expect all of the below to now happen, or I'll be very annoyed.

Ill-vs-Good.jpg

Stephen

Stephen,
I wonder if Ashcroft included capital punishment in his poll. I'll wager there would be a clear correlation.

The one thing that should be paramount is that our next PM be from the vote out side ?

... which is extremely unlikely unless those MPs who were for remain are banned from standing.

Personally, I'd like a PM who is competent and who can sort out this mess. They can come from Mars for all I care.

Stephen

advertisement

Back