advertisement

[Poll] Music: Rent or Buy? (2019)

As a basic approach - Rent or Buy your music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A swing to rent? Or more likely a skewed pole with far fewer votes than in previous years? Who know! Only a few hours left...

I still buy CDs , mainly from charity shops though as I like the relatively limited choice, the lottery of taking a punt on something new with the money going to a good cause. If I don't like the CD it's donated back to the Charity shop.

As for previous years for me. Discovery with free streaming and I buy music I really like. These days I buy hi res where available and I prefer Bandcamp if there's a choice of vendors.

Despite a significantly lower number of votes cast, almost exactly the same percentages as last year!

We’re nothing if not consistent!

Thanks again to those that voted. I’ll call this the last of the annual polls on the subject I think!

I like this poll. Perhaps the only inconsistency being that different people probably vote/don't vote each year. Would be cool to try and get say the same 100 regulars to vote every year and see if there is a shift over time.

None the less, owning still outweighs renting it seems!

Who needs to own anything as long as you can have access to it? Phones, cars, bikes and housing just now, but nearly everything in the future will be used for a time and passed on. Ownership is ineffective as it prevents others enjoying what you don't use but keep a hold of anyway. Ownership means cluttering up your residence with a lot of stuff. Ownership means a waste of scarce resources. We need to share more and forget outmoded playground responses to ownership and live more efficiently.

Gassor, I don't buy much music TBH. I definitely spend less a year than a hi-res streaming service would cost!

So for me, owning is cheaper. Also I don't need to worry about internet service at home or out and about.

But if you and others prefer streaming, that's fine by me of course.

Who needs to own anything as long as you can have access to it? Phones, cars, bikes and housing just now, but nearly everything in the future will be used for a time and passed on. Ownership is ineffective as it prevents others enjoying what you don't use but keep a hold of anyway. Ownership means cluttering up your residence with a lot of stuff. Ownership means a waste of scarce resources. We need to share more and forget outmoded playground responses to ownership and live more efficiently.
Been there already for many decades. It's called communism and kolkhoz.

Been there already for many decades. It's called communism and kolkhoz.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. It is not a future where the state controls everything, the state would play little part in production (as it does now). Take Uber for example. If you can call on a driverless cab to take you anywhere at a cheap price why would you want a car with all the costs involved like road tax and repairs? Pay as you go is the way to go if the price is right.

I was more about ownership. You do not need to own, you can have it when you need it. That was idea. Did not work.
Renting things is different, there is renting services for many things. Somebody own them anyway.

advertisement

Back