advertisement

[Poll] Music: Rent or Buy? (2018)

As a basic approach - Rent or Buy your music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In which country/legislation?

In the U.K. at least when you buy a cd or dvd you are only entitled to listen to/ watch it for personal use. Broadcasting it and playing it in public are illegal. I’ve not kept up with the law, but in 2015 a move to make copying for personal use legal was also overturned.

http://blogs.lexisnexis.co.uk/wipit/quashed-whats-next-for-private-copying-in-the-uk/

The Performing Rights Society zealously guards and attempts to enforce musicians rights to royalties.

https://www.prsformusic.com/

So don’t open your windows when you’re playing your stereo!

In the U.K. at least when you buy a cd or dvd you are only entitled to listen to/ watch it for personal use.

Right. Many continental European countries explicitly allow copying for personal use. Broadcast and public performance is a different issue.

All countries which are a party to the international treaties - eg UK, EU, US ...

Most international treaties leave a fair bit of national wiggle room. Which specific ones are you thinking about?

It is an interesting issue. If you only purchase a license to the content when you buy a CD, you a) should be able to go back an get the CD replaced if it gets damaged, and b) you should not be able to sell a second-hand CD.

Interesting. While I mostly rent the ‘pop’ music that makes up 90% of my listening, I still buy my classical releases. Partly because I’d like to leave them to my kids. They’re making their own ‘pop’ choices today, but one day they’ll thank me for the classical library they’ll inherit on CD.

Remember that when you buy a cd you don't actually own the music. You own a bit of plastic with a licence to listen to the music on it.

Remember that CDs freely and openly allow the passage of ownership from one person to another. Let me know when that changes, then we can shut down Tony Ls store, half of discogs and deprive a few charity shops...

I’m still waiting to see whether a market for slightly used downloads appears.

Both. I still have loads of stuff in my locally stored digital library and record collection that can't be found, or can't be found in as good fidelity, on any of the streaming services.

Reading this thread has just prompted me to cancel Spotify as I havent used it for months and I have changed my Tidal from hifi at £19.99 to normal @ £9.99 as I don't even have a streamer connected up following moving house!

BUT I have been buying records and Cd's, so personally I forsee a big change!

CD,s for me.Can be cheap as chips and with a decent system they are perfectly acceptable sq wise to my old ears.
At 77yrs I don't feel the need to start all over again with vinyl.
I did sign up for the free Spotify but after an initial few tries I simply haven't bothered.

I am probably 70% Tidal and 30% Vinyl. The last CD Player I owned was around 2 years ago I think. I did start selling some of my CD collection off but then stopped and boxed it up and put it in the loft.

Why? Firstly for the simple reason that I cannot totally really on a hard drive to back up my ripped music.

Secondly, I still have this strange feeling that there will be a twist in the tale when it comes to streamed music and something is going to go badly wrong. MQA has given me some hope but they have partnered with Tidal who, by all accounts, are floundering financially.

Thirdly, I suspect once vinyl has run it's "de rigueur" course at some point in the future the big labels will work out a way of repackaging CD's as a format and those discs where Music Magpie will give you 40p will suddenly be worth £10+.

Fourthly, from what I have read artists are paid a pittance for a streamed song and album - will there be a campaign at some point in the future where artists stop allowing their music to be played through a streaming service? I don't know.

Anyway, if I really like a new release I will pick it up on vinyl.

Was firmly in the 'buy' camp after hearing interesting tunes on Radio Paradise. Therafter over to Amazon marketplace to further my library...

After the winter hols realising both my sons are on student Spotify I decided to sign up to the family Spotify deal.

Deciding that this was not 'hifi' enough, took the free roon/tidal trial. Now have ditched roon but enjoying the tidal leap in quality from Spotify...tempted., this might be a keeper...Spotify might be exited soon...

Still listening to RP..still buying the stuff I like best on CD..streaming allows a more informed choice

Quite a few more votes cast this year, but the split is uncannily similar to last year’s.

So, 2017-2018 = no real change, at least in the habits of pfm’ers.

Tony, thanks for stickying the thread, it can now be cut adrift.

Whichever way of listening, I hope everyone loves their music in 2018.

Interesting. While I mostly rent the ‘pop’ music that makes up 90% of my listening, I still buy my classical releases. Partly because I’d like to leave them to my kids. They’re making their own ‘pop’ choices today, but one day they’ll thank me for the classical library they’ll inherit on CD.

Ah but what you call classical the rest of us call Kylie Minogue.

I am probably 70% Tidal and 30% Vinyl. The last CD Player I owned was around 2 years ago I think. I did start selling some of my CD collection off but then stopped and boxed it up and put it in the loft.

Why? Firstly for the simple reason that I cannot totally really on a hard drive to back up my ripped music.

Secondly, I still have this strange feeling that there will be a twist in the tale when it comes to streamed music and something is going to go badly wrong. MQA has given me some hope but they have partnered with Tidal who, by all accounts, are floundering financially.

Thirdly, I suspect once vinyl has run it's "de rigueur" course at some point in the future the big labels will work out a way of repackaging CD's as a format and those discs where Music Magpie will give you 40p will suddenly be worth £10+.

Fourthly, from what I have read artists are paid a pittance for a streamed song and album - will there be a campaign at some point in the future where artists stop allowing their music to be played through a streaming service? I don't know.

Anyway, if I really like a new release I will pick it up on vinyl.

I believe that it's illegal to keep ripped tracks if you sell the CD.

I’ve recently signed up to Tidal, having got fed up with poor Spotify quality. Tidal is certainly better but by some distance still not as good as my Densen B400xs, which is also still better than ripping and playback via Squeezebox. So, I will continue to buy. I can’t see that the subscription services will ever be any better than convenience formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back